Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Nord Stage MIDI/Velocity Question

Moonglow

Hi All,

I think the exact inverse of this question was previously covered in a thread by Mr. Burningbusch, but perhaps the issues are related. My set-up consists of a Nord Stage which I use to control a Korg Trinity as part of a scaled-down live performance rig. It seems that when I play certain Trinity patches on the NS, the tone is less brilliant (i.e., more muffled/dull) compared to when I play the same patch directly on the Trinity. For example, when I play the Trinity patch entitled Analog Power (think Van Halen's "Jump") from the NS keybed it sounds approximately 10-15% less brilliant, unless I really bang on the keys.....which is way too fatiguing. I've also noticed this on the Trinity patch "Garage Organ" (Farfisa patch). This phenomena seems less dramatic for other programs (e.g., "Analog Strings"), but it seems like it is always there to some degree. Is there a remedy for this problem? Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, Cydonia. I thought the answer may be something along these lines, and I will certainly look into this. I'm wondering, however, if this would adversely impact on the internal sounds on the Nord Stage (e.g., piano). If this is the case, since the effect is more pronounced on some patches vs. others, would a potential remedy also exist within the Trinity? Thanks again!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Unfortunately, I don't know a thing about the NS nor the Trinity programming options.

Another option you could do is modify the NS set-ups which uses the Trinity sounds that don't respond as you wish. Supposing this is possible on the NS, you could for example create a new layer in the NS set-up(s) that you use to trigger the Trinity problematic sound(s).

This new layer could either use a different velocity map (if possible) or some kind of parameter like velocity offset (an option available on certain synths that add/substracts a certain amount to the velocity transmitted/received). Check your synths available parameters to see if such an option exists. Also, you may need to turn this new layer off locally (MIDI) to avoid triggering notes on the NS or use another MIDI channel dedicated to the Triton slave.

The velocity maps are saved with each preset.

The velocity settings on the Nord stage don't effect the velocity transmitted over midi. If you want to adjust anything in this set up it will have to be the trinity. Also make sure you have at least OS 2.14 in the stage. They tweaked the midi velocity a bit in that upgrade, I personally still think its low.

John

Archived