Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where did GarageBand get their orchestra???

gangsu

Call me crazy, but I'm sitting here flipping between the $5 GarageBand Harp, and the $500 Vienna Instruments Harp, and they sound remarkably similar.

Mind you, the VI harp can be played with many "not so subtle" variations, but I'm curious as to the origin of the basic sound.

You know, if it were possible to eliminate more of the reverb from the GB instruments, they'd be real contenders for live use.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play F3 and G3, and note the mismatch between the samples. (Probably more apparent if you play the C major scale up to that point.)

(Assuming, of course, we both have the same Garageband harp.)

If you play around with the release time, you might be able to somewhat obviate the reverb issue. (I'm using Logic; I don't remember what controls are provided in Garageband itself.)

Perhaps it's because of the speakers through which you heard both samples.

I don't know about their harps, but I've compared their violins, cellos, and upright basses. I don't think they sound similar. The VI samples are noticably better in quality--especially for doing things like pizzicatto.

Yeah, the GarageBand Harp E3 and F3 seem to be missing the "pluck".

E3-F3-G3 as a group are a bit finicky on the VI harp. They alternate in tone when struck repeatedly with the same velocity. Now you hear the pluck sound, now you don't.

Interesting!

Hey dp2, don't you be knocking my speakers now.

"Better in Quality" - whatever. The Garageband harp doesn't give me different depths of tone. Take the human voice - head voice, chest voice, any one of us can sing exactly the same syllable and pitch and come up with completely different sounds. The VI harps give me that variety. So does the Promega for that matter. Where was I...

Don't knock GarageBand.

Originally posted by gangsu:

Call me crazy, but I'm sitting here flipping between the $5 GarageBand Harp, and the $500 Vienna Instruments Harp, and they sound remarkably similar.

I posted this when I first got the Orchestral JamPack but I found way too many similarities between it and VSL (which I own). I am quite certain Apple had licensed the samples from VSL. Because of the low cost, the library is a must-have for anyone interested in orchestral work. It's a nice suppliment even if you-re working with other large libraries.

original post

Good ear Sue.

Busch.

I have a good ear, I can say whatever I want.

:cool::D

Spoken just like a woman. :eek:;)

Yeah... I've heard all about your good ear. But that's not usually the first thing I hear about when people mention your name. :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The other day I was doing some accompaniment recording, and the song up was "Wild Horses". Not the Stones. Anyway, I used the Jampack 4 Orchestra Steinway Piano. Funny! Sounded just like the original recording. Not so funny, really, it very much surprised me.

It can't handle something like a crescendo on 5 notes too well, but for chords and the odd 16th note blip, it's just about perfect.

this is my thread, right?

Originally posted by TinderArts:

YellowTools did many of the samples for apple loops and GB. I'm not certain which particular ones they have done.

Thanks, TinderArs HAH :D that's a legit typo, too late now.

No doubt you know a lot more than you're letting on. I'm good with that. What an intricate web of work behind the scenes putting these products in the green hands of someone like myself - and making them work! I've never felt so enthused about music exploration.

Thanks, TinderArs HAH :D that's a legit typo, too late now.

No doubt you know a lot more than you're letting on. I'm good with that. What an intricate web of work behind the scenes putting these products in the green hands of someone like myself - and making them work! I've never felt so enthused about music exploration.

Sue, I've gotta admit. Sometimes the stuff you write makes me smile a little.... "TinderArs" - who woulda thunk it? :D It's way too early in the morning for you have an open bottle of cabernet beside you, so it must be a natural thought. That makes it even funnier. :P

I'm telling ya, Ms. Gangsu, I'm proud of you for coming all this way with technology. I can't list the timeline, but my understanding is that you went from working only with an acoustic piano, to buying a Promega and learning it, to buying amplification and performing with that keyboard in public, to buying a Macintosh computer and diving in head-first - all in about two years (or less). Am I right?

Kudos for you. :wave:

For those of us who have been there, we're excited and happy to be along with you, riding shotgun.

Stick around Sue. There's a lot more we can learn from you. ;):D

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hah, you have a gift for making it all count, Gas.

Yeah, it's all pretty new! For a fact I never played on a real digital til I got the Promega. :P

I truly appreciate all your curiosity and good humo(u)r AND HELP! :idea: along the way. :)

I have an S90 which has what I thought was a pretty good classical nylon guitar....but the Garageband version is so real that I cant use the Yamaha on anymore. I suppose the ES and 90ES is an improvement...but I am thinking that the Apple guitar is as good as the Super Articulation one on the Tyros2.

I am definitely holding out for the next generation ES because SA has got to be coming to it.

But good for Apple....they always do quality work.

YellowTools has been behind many sample libraries. They now have their own interface, Independence, as well as some great sounds for their own stuff. They are a great bunch of folks who do wonderful work.

I have the "Pure Drums" library; it has as many as 16 layers of samples. I never use it, it's worthless even spending all day compressing and EQ'ing. And to think it cost as much as an Alesis SR-16.

YellowTools has been behind many sample libraries. They now have their own interface, Independence, as well as some great sounds for their own stuff. They are a great bunch of folks who do wonderful work.

Yeah, I was looking at Independence, which led me to a library by Kirk Hunter, which leads me to wonder how long before these are household names ... which leads me to wonder if they already are! I need to get out more.

Maybe I should call you Bill. :D:D

Archived