Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

+1 for Talent Show

Skythe

Fun! My band and I just performed our first "unofficial" public gig - at our middle school talent show.

I was so nervous in the first two hours before we were able to perform (they set us last), but when we get to stage it was a lot of fun. I have some regrets (IE, I hit the drum pattern on the keyboard, and couldn't hear it for atleast 5 minutes, until the bassist told me it was on (The guitarist was yelling at me for something, but I couldn't here him). Also, the keyboard was a little too loud at parts, it would have probably gone better with a sound check.

But hey, I still had a lot of fun because of the large amount of fans we ammassed from our classmates. :thu: There were girls screaming all over the keyboard solos! :) !

Gigging is definitely one of the funnest things there are in life.

Anybody else want to share their first public experience?

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Skythe:

Also, the keyboard was a little too loud at parts, it would have probably gone better with a sound check.

But hey, I still had a lot of fun because of the large amount of fans we ammassed from our classmates. :thu: There were girls screaming all over the keyboard solos! :) !

My keyboard brother, the sound check went just fine. The keyboards should always be louder. That's a sign your band is on the right path :thu:

You need to tell your bandmates the girls were screaming over the keyboard solos. This should be the driving force right now for your band. :D

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Congratulations!! Man! That does take me back. My first gig (playing in public) was my junior high talent show, too (it was called junior high in those days).

40 years later I'm still gigging. You have begun your journey. Keep your music alive.

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

Deja vu indeed! My first gig ever was my school's talent show in 8th grade. I was so nervous I couldn't eat the entire day. Same story, we were the last act - talk about agonizing! We did a cover of Sweet Home Alabama and the place went crazy. :)

That was a couple thousand gigs ago, and I still get just a little nervous before every job. Once we play our first note and everything sounds ok, I'm perfectly relaxed from that point on.

Thanks for sharing - you never forget the first gig!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Memories Skythe--it sounded like my experience at 13 -- except I was playing guitar...

BTW - those were the times that I played music the loudest and now I'm paying with Tinnitus. Be careful with that or wear some earplugs if you're near the speakers.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Archived