Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looloking to buy/build a new workstation desk, need opinions...

DanS

Originally posted by soundscape:

If you place the speakers horizontally, you'll end up with lobbing caused by phase cancellation between each driver. Also, the tweeter is probably designed to have much better horizontal than vertical dispersion.

[/qb]

Hi Sound, ADAM suggests mounting them vertical as well, but on my desk the tweeters seem too high above ear level mounted that way, so for now I laid them as you see. Eventually I'd like to place them so my listening position falls somewhere in the middle of the tweeter & woofer, or maybe it doesn't make any difference?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ProfD:

I guess unsolicited advice is never wanted, so I shouldn't have bothered. :(

Hey buddy, don't you believe that for a 2nd.

I believe passing along useful information and knowledge is something all of us aspire to do between debates and jokes. ;)

I hope the 'jealousy' comment was tongue in cheek. :cool:

Thanks... I hope so too. :)

Well I stood the speakers the way Soundscape & ADAM suggested, and noticed an immediate improvement. The imaging & panning are more precise & cohesive.

So this way they shall stay. I still have a problem with the desk though.... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by david.edwards8:

the monitors should probably be upright for the best dispersion over the horizontal axis, though.
Do I detect a hint of jealousy? :)
No, you detect a bit of considerate and free advice based on a fair bit of knowledge about loudspeakers. ....I guess unsolicited advice is never wanted, so I shouldn't have bothered. :(
Hey, I was only joking, No offence intended.

Originally posted by DanS:

Hi Sound, ADAM suggests mounting them vertical as well, but on my desk the tweeters seem too high above ear level mounted that way, so for now I laid them as you see. Eventually I'd like to place them so my listening position falls somewhere in the middle of the tweeter & woofer, or maybe it doesn't make any difference?

Vertical height should be optimized as well, being a bit off-axis vertically isn't as bad as horizontally mounting though. (Where you'll often be 'vertically' off, anyway.)

Originally posted by DanS:

Well I stood the speakers the way Soundscape & ADAM suggested, and noticed an immediate improvement. The imaging & panning are more precise & cohesive.

Great, glad you hear an improvement, they should be sounding really fantastic now. :)

Archived