Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Results from Non Smoking Laws on gigs ?

Trill

This last election ,Ohio passed a law that no one will be allowed to smoke in a public place . My intention here is not to start a debate about the virtues of smoking vs. nonsmoking or the hazards at gigs. We've covered that ground already.So lets avoid it.

My question is to the guys whom live in the states that have had these laws on the books for a while.

What is the effect you have seen as far as gigs is concerned. Are the clubs increasing there live entertainment to try to draw maybe a differnt crowd. Are they going out of business ?

I noticed one place locally that is sort of divey , sunk some money into the place and is going sort of upscale. Of course they have had some nice nieghborhoods bieng built around it. That would be a nice trend. Are more more nonsmokers going out to the places they used to avoid? Better pay, more work? Less pay ,less work?

No change really at all?

I never wanted to play clubs and smoking was a big reason. I am reconsidering that now and looking at an additional band to play in other than a corporate/private party type gig I play in.

Once again ,I'm interested in the results as you see them as far as gigging is concerned , This is not a debate about the virtue of the law or smoking. So please keep the topic geared to that point.

Thanks Greg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYS has had a smoking ban on bars since 2003. Bars have adapted by building outdoor smoking areas. While I think patronage is down slightly, I haven't seen many bars close. The ones that did close cited business reasons, not the smoking ban.

On the plus side for the smoking ban, it is real nice to leave without smelling like an ashtray and you can sing all night without breathing in that junk and hurting your vocal passages.

I don't think the smoking ban has affected gigs here.

A couple years ago Florida passed laws where smoking was not permitted in clubs if a certain percentage of their income was from food. This has adversely affected several clubs. One in particular actually tried to cook the books a bit to try to be able to keep smoking. Didn't work, and the smokers were sent to the outside deck. This club was and still is among the most popular.

Another club was forced to ban all smoking, and it's never recovered. A large portion of the clubs we play were no affected, in some instances because they were outside.

Perhaps the dumbest example of following the law to the letter is a club we play at the Cocoa Beach Pier. Half the club has a roof, including where the band sets up. The other half is open air, with the exception of the TIKI bar. Smoking is permitted in the open air section, but not under the roof.

I never have minded smokey clubs all that much. I always thought that was part of the intimate atmosphere that I enjoyed. Plus it seems to bring out the rowdier, more enthusiastic clientele. But I will say it's nice to come home and NOT smell like an ashtray. Plus, my gear smells fresher.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I live in Ohio as well and was talking to a bass playing friend of mine right after the election. His take was that we might see a lot more gigs at fraternal lodges like Moose, Elks and Eagles where the law does not apply. I suspect the marketplace will adapt. I just hope it all stops before someone decides we have to outlaw restaurants and red meat because someone doesn't want to go home smelling like a burger : )

In the clubs we play there has been a permanent decrease in customers. Staff in each gave estimates of 25% - 33%. I'm not sure how accurate that is (came from waitresses and barmaids and was based on tip money), but I will say it is more pleasant playing in a smoke free club, even if there are fewer patrons. It seems that the non-smokers who didn't come out because of the smoke before the ban still aren't.

Regards,

Joe

Initially there will likely be a decline in attendance to gigs, especially if there are places nearby that still allow smokers. Some bars may close, but most will weather the storm. It shouldn't take too long before things get back to normal.

In Ottawa, we have had this for a while - 5 or 6 years at least. There were many places that tried 'clever' ways to bend the law. They would sell 'memberships' and try to operate as a private club for example. Others just paid the fines for a while. Also, other surrounding cities did not have such laws, so many people went there. Even when more cities in Ontario started adopting this law, our neighbouring province of Quebec had many people crossing the border.

I now forget what it used to be like, in those 'smokey bar days'. I take it for granted. Every once in while I will do a gig in a city that doesn't have this bylaw, and it all comes flooding back to me...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

We have had the law here for a while. The biggest impact is to the Sports bars. The clubs seem to do ok as people go outside when they need to smoke. The people at the sports bars watching the game dont want to miss anything so they stay home.

I've heard alot of people here in Arizona talking about the impact on sports bars here as well. I think owners will have to find creative ways to adapt. While I'm not a gigging musician anymore I'd have to think this is good from a health perspective for gigging musicians.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

We have a few clubs in the tobacco state that are non-smoking and I love playing them. There are other clubs that designate one weekend night to non-smokers which is working wel for them.

I would say that I have seen no difference in the crowds at the non-smoking verses smoking venues. I know where I go when I'm not playing though.

I can open my cases and tell where they have been from the rank smell. Sorry smokers, cigs stink.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

In Ohio ,the way the law is written, I don't believe they will be allowed to have any outdoor smoking on the premise.

I would think with the stonger DUI laws and smoking ban that bars in general would see some decline. I can see the sports bar thing, I went in one Sunday while the Bengals were on and I would say 75% or more were smoking. That place also has a big turnout for bands and is a good job if you can get it. I never wanted to before.

Ohio is also bieng pressured to reduce the legal limit again .Right now its .8 ,whats that two beers? Maybe I should invest in taxis in the future.

I think lowering the legal limit would hurt the bars far more than a smoking ban. Many people are already afraid to go out and party for fear of a DUI.

What the clubs need to do is like I saw in Anchorage AK. If a patron has had too much to drink, the club springs for the taxi home, and back. People are more willing to spend money if they know there's a way for them to get home safely, and get back to their cars after they've sobered up.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

.8 is 4 beers for me; less for stronger beer. I'm not that big a guy, either. There are on-line calculators to estimate it. But they don't ask whether you're drinking on an empty stomach, which sure makes a big difference for me!

I don't smoke, and smoke aggravates my asthma (though fortunatly not as bad as it used to). Still, I think it's a mistake for the law not to allow providing an area for smokers outside (and hopefully out of the rain).

I play a lot of blue-collar old rock and country rooms, and the WA anti-smoking law enacted about this time last year has been devastating to these types of rooms. 1/4-1/3 decline in revenues is what I've been hearing. Several have gone under.

I don't smoke myself, but I sure appreciate smokers as customers. They go out more, drink more, gamble more, and spend more than non-smokers. They also tip better. It's that addictive personality thing. With the new laws, they still go out (you can't keep them away) but not as much or for as long.

I've been avoiding this in 2006 by playing mostly in good old smokin' Oregon, but I know that I'm living on borrowed time. It's coming everywhere. :(

My (just as of yesterday) former band had a regular gig at a place in Delaware, OH, and the owner said he was probably going to close his doors if the smoking ban passed.

I know one bar has cancelled live music as part of their regular thing because of the smoking band.

See here - http://www.cowtownmusic.com. Look at Nov. 17 at Larry B's.

I think it's a temporary set back. Smokers will eventually return to the bars and just smoke outide when they need a smoke. They're there for the atmosphere and the opposite sex and the BEER and the music. They'll be back.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Also, my former band used to play at a place called The Hot Spot which was in Columbus which has had a smoking ban for a while now. Their deal was that you rented an ash tray for $1, and then that money went into a "if we're fined" jar, and then the people lit up like always. That was the smokiest place we ever played in.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

I know one bar has cancelled live music as part of their regular thing because of the smoking band.

http://www.parkteatret.no/pictures/devil%20in%20a%20woodpile%20promo3smoking.jpg%20thumb.jpg

SMOKING BAND

Ummmmm, Stepay I apologize for that. :rolleyes:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I think it's a temporary set back. Smokers will eventually return to the bars and just smoke outide when they need a smoke. They're there for the atmosphere and the opposite sex and the BEER and the music. They'll be back.

What I've seen is that they do come back all right, but not as often and they don't stay around as long. Especially this time of year. They'll go out to their cars to smoke and still stay warm, and once they're in 'em with the engine running for heat, they'll reconsider whether to go back in or not and often just drive away.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

http://www.parkteatret.no/pictures/devil%20in%20a%20woodpile%20promo3smoking.jpg%20thumb.jpg

SMOKING BAND

Ummmmm, Stepay I apologize for that. :rolleyes:;)

Rofl :D He heh .... The man with the keen mind and razor wit strikes again.

The original Weather Report line up - that was a smokin' band. ;)

I've been wondering this myself Greg. Fortunately for my band, we do mostly private stuff so we won't see much impact. However, there are plenty of musicians in town who provide for their families by working the club circuit. We'll see what happens...

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Archived