Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to use chords during improvising

Skythe

Hey guys, it's me again.

Anyways, I was wondering your advice on using chords during improvisation. A chord can add a lot (as I've heard from random known musicians using them), but I'm not really sure how to use one, or when.

Help would be fantastic :) .

On the side note, what do you guys think of "Melt", for a band name? My weird guitarist friend (the one who I think leads me to all my keyboard troubles) has his heart set on it, pretty much.

Thanks.

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ And yes, it is true that I stick around here to ask you all weird improvisation questions ._..

I have no aversion to a nice passing chord or tritone substitution. Anyone else?

However, the sooner you get to work on those scales and chords... ;)

BTW, what kind of music are you trying to play?

That might help us a little bit.

As for the band name, it doesn't sound any better or worse than Kiss, Sublime, Oasis, Wham, etc. Go for it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

I have no aversion to a nice passing chord or tritone substitution. Anyone else?

However, the sooner you get to work on those scales and chords... ;)

BTW, what kind of music are you trying to play?

That might help us a little bit.

As for the band name, it doesn't sound any better or worse than Kiss, Sublime, Oasis, Wham, etc. Go for it. :cool:

Tritone Substitution? <_<. You guys sure know some nice big words. As for music uh... We're trying for some mix between Pink Floyd and a jam-bandish sort of thing. If anybodys heard of Raq, sorta like that.

Oh, and I think I've got most of my scales down, if we're talking major, minor and pentatonics here >_>b. On the other hand, I have no idea what chord sounds like what.

Thanks for the reponse. :)

Oh, and Jazz+, thanks for the link! I have noticed my left hand is extremely pitiful when it comes to keyboarding, so that'll help. Though, I was mostly talking about chords during various solos in the right hand, or whatnot. Still, most things will help me :) .

It is possible to respond to your questions without asking the kind of music you are interested in. The kind of music, is very relevant, but music has a universal aspect too. That is what I am referring to- the universal aspects.

There are impersonal aspects to music. Aspects that nearly all musicians share. One is, low pay and having an able bodied significant other, to pay for your sustenance and your jones for gear and gigging!!

I should think the ability to hold a more or less steady pitch is a critical abilty even for keyboardists.

A steady sense of time is critical in all music as well.

Ability to recognize and reproduce what a band mate has just played is an advanced ability that we could all improve on.

The ability to reproduce an exact replica of something you just heard, be it a rhythm, or a melody, or a series of tones.

In the Western world we mostly use a 7 tone scale. That scale is different in the east, where the pitches are different.

But a developing sensitivity by LISTENING a lot ( huge blocks of time intelligently listening ) to your chosen music is a great aid.

Your memory is a wonderful asset, your memory of sounds in your mind.

Then there is the interconnecting of more than one thing at the same time, as in Indian rhythms etc. Ditto for melodies. You perhaps have heard of JS Bach, and polyphony or counterpoint- the expert specialized ability to hear more than one melodic idea at the same time. A Western idea, at least melodically speaking.

Stay away from drugs and alcohol, not good for concentration for most of us. Concentration is required for a focused attention on the above things. Because there are super musicians who were high does not make it a good idea. Catch them privately, and they will lament the day they got hooked.

Practice with a competent teacher helps.

Metaphors for the Musician is a nice friendly and helpful book.

Music has been divided into categories for convenience.

melody

harmony

rhythm

tone, sound, timbre, expression through your sound

and don't forget spirituality, this is the king pin of all creativity.

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

cliffk, if a fellow forumite's head explodes and/or walks away from the keyboard in disgust, are you willing to let let that be on your conscience? :P:D

Anybody care to score what was played utilizing the Rhodes sound for a theoretical analysis? ;)

Nice link. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Mmm, I like >_>. That guy sure know hows to funk.

...well, I consider myself about a step and a 1/2 above a begginger level and at this point about 90% of my playing consist of my left hand simply doing that 2 note octave thing of the chord my right hand is rolling through......

....and of course all of my own stuff I work on is nothing but imrovising...ie: making it up as I go ....

one of the most valuable concepts for your answer is in the use of "passing chords" you say you know your scales...ok... it's not hard to imagine by adding every other note in an assending pattern give you chords... right??? well a passing chord would be one which lies "between" either another voicing of the chord your playing or the chord ya wanta go to next... make sense??? try to get used to the idea of each scale tone haveing it's own chord and start noticing the "color" of each... you'll find a definate pattern at work here...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

^ That's the type of answer I've been looking for. Thanks dc!

The chord you are going to can be approached from a half step above with a Domimant Seventh chord.

If you are staying on a chord for a while you can use diatonic passing chords from the scale:

C-7 for 4 bars could be filled with these passing chords

|: C-7 D-7 :|

or

|: C-7 D-7 | Eb Maj7 D-7 :|

C7 these gospel "church chords"

|: C F/C :|

or

|: C F/C | G-/D F/C :|

Another device when the chord does not cahnge is to pivot back and forth between ithe chord and its V7

C-7 for 4 bars becomes:

|: C-7 G7 | C-7 G7 | C-7 G7 | C-7 G7 :|

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived