Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've overcome my fear of resolution

I just wrote a new tune. It's completely centered around an Asus4 drone, but the chord progressions never resolve. No big V-I in any section of the tune. Even the "I" is pretty murky...you're never really sure if it's major or minor, since there's no 3 ever indicated in the A chord and the melody is ambiguous. I like it. I'm sick of having all my years of training in composition dictate what I'm "supposed" to do in songwriting (though I'm certainly glad I understand those principles). The great part is the end of the tune, which just kind of fades out on a D (IV). No resolution at all. :) - Jeff

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Rick Kreuzer: [b]I'll bite. Let us hear it, Jeff![/b][/quote]Jeeez...I said I [i]wrote[/i] a tune. That doesn't mean I recorded it, mastered it, created an MP3 and am ready to throw it at the unsuspecting ears of the world! :) If you want to hear my tune immediately, come over to my house. I'll pick up an acoustic guitar and sing it at you. Apart from that, there's no other place this song exists but in my little brain. Of course, thanks for your interest. When I get around to recording it, I'll put it somewhere you can hear it. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Dogfur: [b]Go to your Dead tape collection and check out a verson of "Wharf Rat" for that extended unresolved Asus7 tonality.[/b][/quote]God, I just got frightened for a moment that I had inadvertently i[]rewritten[/i] "Wharf Rat", but then I just hummed it and found that my tune (with similar tonal centers) is indeed original. [QUUOTE][b]I hope your tune turns out great[/b][/QUOTE] Thanks Dogfur. I write less and less these days, so any tune delivered by my muse is accepted with great thanks. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] If you want to hear my tune immediately, come over to my house. I'll pick up an acoustic guitar and sing it at you. Apart from that, there's no other place this song exists but in my little brain. - Jeff[/b][/quote]I'll be right over. :D Well, someday...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]I'll be right over. :D Well, someday...[/b][/quote]It's a long haul from KC to LA, Ted, but any time you're in town, drop on by. We'll fire up the computer, work on some tunes and make confusing posts to the forums from both of us. :) - Jeff

IM sure SUNRa would be proud of you. However,you cant violate these laws of composition. You are just deluding yourself. This is like inventing a perpetual motion machine. Resolution will come in your NEXT TUNE.- Or else it will be created out of necessity in the minds of the listeners. :D

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by Kendrix: [b]Resolution will come in your NEXT TUNE.- Or else it will be created out of necessity in the minds of the listeners. :D [/b][/quote]Ha! I love this answer. You may be joking, but seriously...I think people do mentally resolve these type of tunes. In terms of resolution in my next tune...yeah, absolutely. I have no intention of being a one-trick pony. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Paul Berolzheimer: [b]Just don't tell Nika, He'll deride you for improperly using the term "resolution".[/b][/quote]Nika's a smart cookie. He knows that "resolution" is the act of resolving, which is true whether it applies to bit depth or the completion of a purposefully-placed musical tension. - Jeff

I love doing stuff like that with structure. The ear expects sections of music to be 4, 8, or 16 bars long so I write three bar sections and loop them, or 5 or whatever. Sometimes, even if the chords do resolve in the end, it still sounds odd :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Jeff, you're welcome to record it at my place, on 2". When do you come?? :idea: :) Peace, Han
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

[quote]Originally posted by sign: [b]Jeff, you're welcome to record it at my place, on 2". When do you come?? :idea: :) Peace, Han[/b][/quote]Han, recording this tune in the Netherlands sounds like an incredibly cool idea. I find it more likely that I'll record it in a place somewhat closer to where I wrote it...namely, my home or my pal's studio about 15 miunutes away...but trust me that I'd prefer to do it over there if I had a choice! :) - Jeff

I was teaching someone how to play "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction the other day. G to A again and again, w/ a little G to G(b5) in the B section... But you know... I think the songs in D, how bout you guys? Never resolves. You could possible view it as A, but I think that the song is in D major.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I think the songs in D, how bout you guys? Never resolves. You could possible view it as A, but I think that the song is in D major.[/b][/quote]Heh. The D that never comes. :) I know what you mean, but the "A" feel of that tune is a little too strong for me to think it's in anything but A. One of the hints of D is the use of the b5 in the G chord in the chorus (corresponding to the major seventh note of the D scale), but the feel is so strongly A overall. Just my opinion, of course. Perry Farrel has his own thoughts, I'm sure. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I think the songs in D, how bout you guys? Never resolves. You could possible view it as A, but I think that the song is in D major.[/b][/quote]Heh. The D that never comes. :) I know what you mean, but the "A" feel of that tune is a little too strong for me to think it's in anything but A. One of the hints of D is the use of the b5 in the G chord in the chorus (corresponding to the major seventh note of the D scale), but the feel is so strongly A overall. Just my opinion, of course. Perry Farrel has his own thoughts, I'm sure. - Jeff[/b][/quote]The reason I don't think it's A is b/c of the fact that an Ab would sound really sour in the context of the tune, while you could solo in D major w/out any clash.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Whoa, I thought this thread was about New Year's Resolutions, so I never checked it. :o Theory discussions are cool, because no one is 100% right. Even if it's Bach or Motzart (Music Theory 101 & 201), I still think anyone's interpretation can be valid. I hear [i]Jane Says[/i] as D major. Try singing or playing the melody alone without the chords. But I bet if you asked Perry what key it was in, he would just laugh.

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [/quote]Han, recording this tune in the Netherlands sounds like an incredibly cool idea. I find it more likely that I'll record it in a place somewhat closer to where I wrote it...namely, my home or my pal's studio about 15 miunutes away...but trust me that I'd prefer to do it over there if I had a choice! :) - Jeff You have a choice Jeff, I can pick you up with my private jet.....NOT :( It might have been a party anyway, maybe later! Peace, Han
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Archived