Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT just what the world needs more guitar players

BluesKeys

I cannot believe someone would spend money on this kind of research. Have they not looked around? In my part of the world guitar players are like ants. You kill one and ten more take his place. And then you have to deal with GPD (guitar player disease) and heaven forbid if they think they are the front man/lead singer then you have LSD to put up with.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20061113/4557fbd0_3ca6_1552620061113612091899

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an easy-to-use, virtual instrument that allows real-time music making even by players without significant musical or computing skills
... if you want to call the result music ...

Actually, there's a technical term for the kind of music created by players without significant musical skills: "noise".

A similar article showed up in a thread a few days ago when a fellow forumite thought he was on to something. ;)

Unlike chess and Deep Blue, it takes more than calculated moves to make music.

I remain a firm believer that technology will always just be a tool when it comes to making music.

If there is no soul or passion involved, it will be static i.e. "noise" as Lear pointed out.

Listen to Nat King Cole's version of "Nature Boy". Now, tell me how a computer could ever come up with that. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Originally posted by ProfD:

A similar article showed up in a thread a few days ago when a fellow forumite thought he was on to something. ;)

Hah, What kind of an idiot would do something like that :D
SDS, I couldn't remember who put that out there. :D

Nothing idiotic about it. Everybody wants to make a buck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If you use too much fabric softener will the guitar go flat?

Re music making and computers etc. - once AI has figured out how to recreate roughly the same number of neurons we possess (or even those of a guitar player), the machines will make music just as purdy as we humans. It's just a matter of time ... and there will be those here who will embrace it. (I would think first in line world be the brains behind Yamaha's Tyros technology. [grumpy old fart mode off])

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived