Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage piano Roland vs Yamaha vs Kawai

bbruno

I'm looking for an instrument that would allow me to

(1) play classical piano at a decent level (Mozart, Beethoven concertos etc ...)

(2) teach my kids

(3) play in blues/pop/rock bands (covers 70's 80's 90's)

Consequently, I would like :

(1) really good hammer keys (as similar to an acoustic grand as possible)

(2) combined with good piano and organ sounds, and perhaps a good fat lead synth (but I don't care about 1000 whistles and bells)

(3) and be very portable.

I tried the Roland RD300sx and the Yamaha CP33, and I loved both (slight preference for CP33).

Can anybody compare with the Kawai MP4 ?

And what do the more expensive models offer in addition to these ? (RD700sx, CP300, MP8)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated ! The more detail the better.

Bruno

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have similar needs and this is what I do.

(1) Upright Yamaha piano for home. Best for playing classical and other real piano repetoire.

(2) Upright Yamaha piano for home. Your kids really deserve a real instrument.

(3) The choices are endless. I use a Yamaha S90 for gigging. It covers piano, EP, strings, synth and much more. It is very portable for what it does and the action is outstanding.

Regards,

Eric

Part of the problem is this is such a personal preference. Each person experiences sounds and action differently. As an example I hated the action on the RD300sx and think the piano sound on the CP33 is much better. That's just me. Some will agree, other won't. In the end, try out as many as you can and make the decission that's best for you. For a great all around board, check out the Yamaha S90ES.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by bbruno:

Do the CP300 and RD700sx have much better keys/sounds than the CP33 and RD300sx ?

Its a matter of preference. Each person will answer this question differently. Your opinion is really the only one that counts. You may want to do some searches on the forum as these keyboards ahve all been discussed and opinions have been given.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by bbruno:

I can't afford to buy both upright and portable, but I'll consider the S90 as yet another alternative.

Make sure its the S90ES. The S90 doesn't have the piano sound you are looking for.

Oh yeah, and another plug for the S90ES. Love that thing!

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I like the RD-700SX piano sound for jazz.

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The MP4 is in my view the best piano, but it does not match the Roland or the Yamaha for other sounds. Actions are a personal taste and for my taste non of them is perfect. The Yamaha is a bit light. The Roland is too hard at the bottom - feels to me like I am going to break it, and the Kawai a little spoungy.

All three are quite playable. Its not like there is one real piano action - every one is at least a little different.

Yes actions are personal, like sports equipment. I have tendonitis so I like a lighter fast actions to avoid injury.

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I just got an RD700SX, and am replacing I run stereo in 2 KC 500 amps, and the piano sounds are definately better than my Motif ES8 or the p200. Not to mention, the split bass patches and rythmn patches are excellent. I also love having he EQ and effects controls right at my fingertips.

likechocolate,

you said:

I just got an RD700SX, and am replacing I run stereo in 2 KC 500 amps, and the piano sounds are definately better than my Motif ES8 or the p200. Not to mention, the split bass patches and rythmn patches are excellent. I also love having he EQ and effects controls right at my fingertips.
I know what you mean and have been to gigs where people have played Rd700sx's, got a very good sound outfront and seemed very comfortable with their ax and I'd be scratching my head saying to myself it must be me. And you know what, It is. Were all different and different things work for different people. Different things feel/sound good/bad to each of us.

People have put the action down on the 700sx saying it was slow. I never agreed with that because I thought is was balanced in a way that was superior to the Yamaha actions in many aspects. It felt really good to me and the keys had a heftyness and big/long surface area. The throw of the notes from top to keybed, that distance on the RD700SX action always felt good to me. . . .

Play the Sh&t out of it man and good luck. It's a cool board!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived