Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS Attack--MotifES8 (Maybe)

ProfD

A few among us have already suggested it would be nice for Yamaha to come out with a workstation similar to the OASYS. ;)

Purely speculative but does anyone think Motif prices will drop leading up to and/or after Winter NAMM?

I could get a MotifES8 which paired with my AW4416 would actually provide more functionality than the workstation mentioned above.

Considering I have not copped a new board in years, this could be an impending GAS attack. Tums (thoughts :) ) please. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatta you mean "do you think"... they already have! Yamaha recently cut $300 off MAP, which means that with good shopping you should be able to pick up a new ES8 for around two grand.

This is the clearest signal yet from Yamaha that something's coming up 'round the bend....

My advise would be, even at 2k I wouldnt buy an ES8 right now, unless you absolutly know its the answer to your wants/needs AND will be for some time to come.

I would recomend holding off a few months and see if Yamaha actually does release 'something', that something may be a better choice....

And, if not, at that point the ES8 may even be cheaper....

ProfD,

I own the S90ES, which has the better piano samples. You probably know the differences between this board and the MotifES, and if not the information is readily available at sninety.com.

They both share the ES ROM and Effect engines, which are excellent, imho.

If you haven't already, download the User's Manual and Data Manual, which are available without the need to register, from

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php

(Take a hint, Roland -- why place barriers in front of a customers who might be looking for presales information from your website? )

If I were doing it again and didn't need the keyboard/controller, I'd consider the MotifES Rack, which is priced quite reasonably. Although you can program the ES from the board, it's much easier and faster using the your PC and the editor tools, also available online, this time from yamahasynth.com, (though I'm not sure they'll load without an ES out there on USB.)

Another alternative are the shorter boards, if you don't need weighted keys (which come only on the 8 ES and, of course, the S90). If only the S90ES came in a 6 octave configuration that was 10-15 pounds lighter!

You might consider either the 7 ES or 6 ES. With the 8ES at 70 pounds, gigging it around in a 30-40 pound case provides more exercise than I usually want before a job. The S90ES is "only" 50 pounds, but still a bulky and formidably massive object to muscle around a tight stage.

By the way, there seem to be quite a few used Motif ES boards available. Check Craigslist or Ebay in your area if you want to go that route.

GAS is a great feeling. Enjoy!

regards,

--kwgm

FWIW, I recently loaded my ES6 with the 2 more PLG's (I already had the AN): the DX and the VL. Needless to say, with all these PLG's and the stock sounds, there's hardly anything you can't do with that machine. It's a monster and the possibilities are endless. Save for the cryptic OS, the ES is a superlative beast.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

You know, I've never had a love-hate relationship with a keyboard before the MotifES. A month ago I was posting here asking what I should ask for my ES6 when putting it up for sale. This week I bid on an mLan and PLG150-PC to finish maxing it out. It has been that way since day one. But you are correct, it is a monster of a machine.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by kwgm:

I own the S90ES, which has the better piano samples. You probably know the differences between this board and the MotifES.

Oops, I didn't qualify my post thinking everyone already knew I was a very proud S80 owner. ;)

I'm totally familiar with the S series through MO. The sounds haven't been enough to make me switch.

However, the MotifES8 has recently become attractive primarily for its workstation capabilities.

I use separate components right now but as a minimalist, I cannot get away from the thought of having everything under one hood OASYS style or close.

Busch (our own, not GWB :) ) says it would be more feasible to buy a computer and load it up with software. :P

Considering my affinity for the S80, that is still a strong possibility too. The GAS is not percolating--yet. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by HomeAmateur:

I would recomend holding off a few months and see if Yamaha actually does release 'something', that something may be a better choice....

and you can be dead buy then too...
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

(Take a hint, Roland -- why place barriers in front of a customers who might be looking for presales information from your website? )

Oooh ooh I know I know! Because if people could see Roland's crappy worthless manuals before they bought anything, their sales would plummet??? ;)

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Prof D,

I have an S80 too, and although I love the S80, the Motif ES is a couple of notches above when it comes to the number of waveforms and the quality of the voices. They're just cleaner, clearer, punchier, and there's just a heck of a lot more of them. For me, I wish they made a S90ES in a nonweighted 61 key keyboard 'cause I don't use the sequencer or sampling options on my ES -- although, I can see myself someday putting both of these functions to use.

The MO doesn't cut it for me. It's doesn't accept PLG's and to my ears the same waveforms sound inferior (cheaper DAC's??).

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by ProfD:

A few among us have already suggested it would be nice for Yamaha to come out with a workstation similar to the OASYS. ;)

Purely speculative but does anyone think Motif prices will drop leading up to and/or after Winter NAMM?

I could get a MotifES8 which paired with my AW4416 would actually provide more functionality than the workstation mentioned above.

Considering I have not copped a new board in years, this could be an impending GAS attack. Tums (thoughts :) ) please. :cool:

As mentioned before I think it would do you well to compare the S90ES and the Motif ES if only for the piano samples. If not the Motif ES is one hell of a workstation.

You may want to ask yourself these questions. If Yamaha announces something at NAMM, how much do you think they will drop the price? Is that amount worth the wait? The other question is will you have a GAS attack for the new release? I guess what I'm getting at is if you know you want the ES, is waiting going to matter that much in terms of price? What if Yamaha announces a new workstation? Will you want that? JUst somethings to ponder. I've been here before and in the end I think you have to trust your instincts.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Just to throw the fly in the oinment, don't overlook the MO8. If it's the Motif ES sound set and a 16 track sequencer you're after, the MO8 could fill the bill nicely. It's a LOT lighter and cheaper, about $1599.00 MAP price.

If you want all the features of the ES8, you might want to hold off until Winter NAMM to see what new KB Yamaha is bringing out. That will be another 2 1/2 months or so, if you can wait that long.

I move my Motif ES8 in a flight case everytime I play and yeah, it's a heavy beast. But I wanted the expansion slots and the sampler, so I'm not complaining. I have it over 2 years and the MO8 wasn't available back then. The ultimate setup would be to use the ES8 in my music room and just carry around the MO8 for live work. However, my wallet says no way.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Botch:

Oooh ooh I know I know! Because if people could see Roland's crappy worthless manuals before they bought anything, their sales would plummet??? ;)
Now now! Which would you rather have... an easier to use manual from Yamaha or an easier to use keyboard from Roland? :confused:

Originally posted by delirium:

Originally posted by HomeAmateur:

and you can be dead buy then too...
were talking a couple of months, not years,.... It seems much more sensible to wait a few months before such a major purchase. From his orginal post he seems to not need the ES8 today, so waiting just a few months for what could be a much better descision only makes sense.

Im very interested to see if Yamaha comes out with a new workstation myself. Heck I thought they would of done it last year.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

I didn't realize clicking on Support then Product Manuals on the Roland U.S. website was somehow considered a "barrier"? :confused:

Roland manual download page

"You must log in to access our manuals online. Please enter your registered email and password, or click on "Create New Profile" to register."

I didn't realize clicking on Support then Product Manuals on the Roland U.S. website was somehow considered a "barrier"? :confused:

I guess kwgm was talking about presales information about future products.

But it's not in company interest releasing such information too soon.

There is no problem with accessing manuals of current products.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Most Mfg. usually wait 3 years to put out an entirely new KB. Life cycles have been getting a little shorter in some cases, depending upon what the competition is up too.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by delirium:

I guess kwgm was talking about presales information about future products.

But it's not in company interest releasing such information too soon.

There is no problem with accessing manuals of current products.

Golly -- did I ruffle Svennie's feathers? Gee, that wasn't very difficult... :D

I only know that when I go there, they want me to login or create a new profile. To me, that's a barrier.

Maybe they can tell I'm a Yamaha owner?

:confused: Does it show?

And where did the remark about "future products" info come from?

Delete your cookie guys, and you'll see what we're talking about.

regards,

--kwgm

Golly -- did I ruffle Svennie's feathers? Gee, that wasn't very difficult... :D

You barely caught my attention... don't get ahead of yourself. :rolleyes:

I only know that when I go there, they want me to login or create a new profile. To me, that's a barrier.
Yeah, you're absolutely right... it's a HUGE problem entering an email address and a password so that Roland doesn't have to worry about having file leeches suck all the bandwidth out of their servers.

And God knows, it's next to impossible to get a free, throwaway email address so that you can avoid any potential threat of spam... if only there was some way to create a free email address to do this.... hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Maybe they can tell I'm a Yamaha owner?
Or a whiny noob? :thu:

And where did the remark about "future products" info come from?

Ignore that... delirium has never really understood anything I've posted.

Delete your cookie guys, and you'll see what we're talking about.

:rolleyes: Wow, you've got me rolling my eyes three times in one message... congratulations.

I know exactly what you're talking about... I've had to download Roland manuals when at colleague's homes/studios, or when otherwise not on my main computer. Honestly, if you consider that a barrier, how the hell do you deal the user interface on Yamaha gear? Damn... you must be nearly crippled musically speaking!

And, before you make any erroneous assumptions, I own both Yamaha and Roland gear, including the cryptic UI'ed Yamaha Motif ES7 and horrendous UI'ed Roland VK8.

Anyway, on to refute more overwrought, inaccurate forum postings. Have a nice day. :cool:

Yeah, you're absolutely right... it's a HUGE problem entering an email address and a password so that Roland doesn't have to worry about having file leeches suck all the bandwidth out of their servers.

Can be prevented using, for example, the "type in the letters/numbers shown in this distorted image" scheme.

It's just a PITA to have to store username/password for yet another site, one that hardly needs it.

And God knows, it's next to impossible to get a free, throwaway email address so that you can avoid any potential threat of spam... if only there was some way to create a free email address to do this.... hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Some of us have a few accounts with Gmail and Yahoo! that are full of spam. ;)

Originally posted by soundscape:

Can be prevented using, for example, the "type in the letters/numbers shown in this distorted image" scheme.

You think that's less hassle than a one-time registration? Maybe if you only need to get a file once, but for me, I consult Roland manuals on a regular basis (usually to try and help forum members who can't figure things out on their own, or colleagues who contact me for help with their gear). Having to go through that every time would be absolutely arduous, and a MUCH bigger hassle than a one-time registration.

It's just a PITA to have to store username/password for yet another site, one that hardly needs it.

It's a cookie; you obviously have them enabled, or do you log in to this forum every time you visit? Now that would be a PITA.

Some of us have a few accounts with Gmail and Yahoo! that are full of spam. ;)

Yep, but Hotmail (among others) makes it incredibly easy to create a nice disposable address for just such a purpose. I've created literally dozens of "svengollyxxxx" type email addresses that are no longer used.

Edit to change this... not sure if you're agreeing with me on this point or not... so I'll retract what I posted, in case we're on the same side of the fence here. ;)

Archived