Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Americans: Did ya vote yet?

Dan South

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did my civic duty. The way I look at it, if I DON'T vote, I have no right to bitch about my government. :D

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Vote early ... and often.

I started a thread yesterday reminding my fellow Americans to vote; there was no mention of party, no mention of names - and my thread was removed without any private messages to me.

I look at this thread not as a political thread per se, just a reminder to ... vote early and often. ;)

I voted using an absentee ballot (NY).

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I started a thread yesterday reminding my fellow Americans to vote; there was no mention of party, no mention of names - and my thread was removed without any private messages to me.

I removed the other thread because it began to turn nasty. If this one begins to turn nasty, I'll remove it as well.

Anyone who's been hanging out on this forum for any period of time knows how I feel about political and religious threads - and yet some people start them anyway. Every time anyone starts one, you take the risk that I'll remove it.

This subject is not open for debate.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by cnegrad:

I've never understood the "and often" part. One person-one vote, right?

It's a joke. I believe it was a slogan of the now deceased Mayor Daley of Chicago.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Vote early ... and often.

I started a thread yesterday reminding my fellow Americans to vote

Yeah, but I can see that that *does* encourage a debate over whether you should vote, which could quickly become a political debate. I mean, it is stating a view on representative democracy, isn't it?

Just voted over my lunch hour. New voting machines here in Ohio, and they had them positioned in a way that easily allowed others to see your choices. Weird.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Did it. Always do, not every race, because here in TX there are dozens of judicial races and I don't vote for people when I don't know enough about them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I would like my fellow citizens to get out and vote, regardless of their political persuasion. I'm a naturalized citizen from a less democratic place and the ability to vote is like the coolest thing for me.

Jerry

It's so frustrating that it's currently against the law to check for legal identification at the polling place.

In Ohio it's legal and in fact is a new law this year.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

It's so frustrating that it's currently against the law to check for legal identification at the polling place.

In Ohio it's legal and in fact is a new law this year.
In Florida you are required to show valid ID before you can vote.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Here in South Carolina our Governor, Mark Sanford, was turned away from the polls because he did not have his voting card with him. He was in Charleston for late rallies and his card was at home in the capitol of Columbia. Good to see this thing being taken seriously by the poll workers (that's what the Governor said too).

Unlike Governor Sanford, I voted. :thu:

If you don't vote, then you don't have the right to bitch about politicians.

This is why I ALWAYS vote -- I LIKE to bitch about politicians!!! :)

Famous Quotes About Politicians

================================

Mark Twain:

-- "We have the best congress money can buy."

-- "There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress."

-- "Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

Davy Crockett:

-- "There ain't no ticks like poly-ticks. Bloodsuckers all."

Ronald Reagan:

-- "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

My wife and I voted at 8am this morning, and I was voter number 110.

I really like how I feel during the voting process--even though I generally find politics very distasteful. I feel like I am an active participant, not a bystander.

BTW: Michigan does not require either ID or a voter registration card.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived