Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland XV 2020 cards - does it worth it?

yannis D

Hi again

I was about to test the XV 2020's external cards. I'd like to buy the piano one and maybe the orchestra. The guy in Roland told me that it's impossible to test drive them as they're packed and cannot be opened for any testing... He told me to to roland's site and have a look. But there's nothing like your oppinion :)

So i'd like to ask any XV 2020 user in here with those two specific cards if they like the piano and the orchestra sounds. Are they better than the inside sounds (wich are kind of thin and compressed IMO)? Is it wise to pay 350 euros per card or i'd better do an ebay search?

Thnx again for any help

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an xv-2020 and expansion cards in my opinion are a must. Internal Patches are not good. Definitely those expansion cards are a lot better than internal patches especially those released after the SRX-05, they triple the sample waveforms after that and you generally will get between (300-450)patches!

I have SRX-09 which comes with great sampled world instruments and SRX-10 which I highly recommended if you want to get improve brass section. I also purchased the SRX-11 complete piano expansion, but due limitation on the banks of the xv-2020 will try to get xv-5080 if price someday goes down. I will purchase the SRX-06 orchestral later on.

Yannis, I bought an Orchestral card for the original JV1010. I was looking for a "better" harp. Instead I got the same instrument - I think. I mean, if I tried real hard I could almost hear beyond the reverb and delay and other special effects.

I'd go so far as to question whether the basic sounds in the 2020 are any more realistic than 1010. Maybe it just the updated hardware you're paying for, not the sounds themselves.

When you have nothing, those sound modules are a fabulous addition. But if you're seeking to define realism, you have to look elsewhere.

Guess I could put in a plug for the GarageBand orchestral sounds here. Particularly the woodwinds. The wheel is set up for staccato, and you can do a fair impersonation of the A&W Root Bear. :cool:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Thx alot guys

I think i'm on to my new purchase :( and 300 euros are alot!

gangsu: i know that i compromise using the XV 2020, (normally i use the Nords and my laptop, but this in my hometown) but it's the only solution (along with my laptop) for travelin' abroad and having with me all my sounds and setups for different songs. With the new situation in airports/airplanes it's so hard to use something bigger than this... Wherever i go they just rend for me a 88 controller (Kurz pc88 most of the times) and i plug and play. For gigs, the XV sounds quite good, it gets the job done without problems - i would never take it in a studio though.

I am satisfied with my set up. There is no better half space module for piano and Rhodes than the XV2020 + SRX11 + SRX12

(I never use any of the XV2020 Internal Patches, my FP2 controller has better sounding piano & Rhodes)

(JV1010 used lower grade cards)

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It is a great matchup with a laptop if you want to compose music without a sound card. Just connect it by USB and go. At least one online shop here is selling out new models for $399 US and others are out. I'm guessing Roland has stopped production and maybe releasing something new.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It is a great matchup with a laptop if you want to compose music without a sound card. Just connect it by USB and go. At least one online shop here is selling out new models for $399 US and others are out. I'm guessing Roland has stopped production and maybe releasing something new.

Robert

----------------------------------------------------

Sorry Robert, i can't get you right here.. Do you mean that the XV can work as a midi interface for live use for my laptop's sounds or it's just for the internal sounds?

Originally posted by yannis D:

gangsu: i know that i compromise using the XV 2020, (normally i use the Nords and my laptop, but this in my hometown) but it's the only solution (along with my laptop) for travelin' abroad and having with me all my sounds and setups for different songs. With the new situation in airports/airplanes it's so hard to use something bigger than this... Wherever i go they just rend for me a 88 controller (Kurz pc88 most of the times) and i plug and play. For gigs, the XV sounds quite good, it gets the job done without problems - i would never take it in a studio though.

Aaggghhh.. you're the one touring all over Europe, and I'm sitting here questioning the quality of your sounds?? :freak: That's just wrong.

Enjoy your new cards! It's all bonus.

Aaggghhh.. you're the one touring all over Europe, and I'm sitting here questioning the quality of your sounds?? [Freak] That's just wrong.

Enjoy your new cards! It's all bonus.

----------------------------------------------------

Hey Gangsu, it was pure luck - that can happen to anybody. I was just lucky and grabded the opportunity :)

Thnx for all the info guys, i ordered the card. Finally the guy in Roland turned to be kind enouph to sell the SRX-11 for *only* 240 euros, much less than the 300 catalogue price.

BTW, soundscape: i really don't find all XV's internal sounds *mostly useless* allthough i'd prefer better samples and less compressed ones as you would like to i guess...I think pianos are quite problematic, thin and plastic. Organs are really bad. But EP's and strings/woodwinds are not bad at all IMO

Thnx for your advice again

Hey Gangsu, it was pure luck - that can happen to anybody. I was just lucky and grabded the opportunity :)

What a gentleman. Thanks. :o

(congrats on the good deal. That wasn't luck, either. :cool: )

thnx man, just waitin to see how the thing will sound! I'm tryin' so hard to downsize my airplane rig, so this XV2020+external pianos card will give me plenty of free space, less things/cables to carry less DI's on stages, less time to set up. I'll post whenever i got some real life impressions

Gangsu, there are millions of good players mind you. When i firs got to France to study classical there was this 14 year old girl that used to play the Brahms Piano sonata like it was children song. I was ready to catch the first airplane back, but finally i insisted. From this moment on i realized that luck is a key component in musc for us *humans* (i'm not talking about Hiromi :) )

Gangsu, there are millions of good players mind you. When i firs got to France to study classical there was this 14 year old girl that used to play the Brahms Piano sonata like it was children song. I was ready to catch the first airplane back, but finally i insisted. From this moment on i realized that luck is a key component in musc for us *humans* (i'm not talking about Hiromi :) )

yeah, the world is full of good players. Take away the control freaks and closed-minded bores and the remaining few get all the opportunities. Call it luck if ya want to. ;)

Archived