Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do I need all the Midi bells and whistles?

Old Geezer

I'm a "senor" piano student at a local CC. I have a Casio CTK-511 keyboard and I would like to up grade to an 88 key unit with graded piano key action. I have looked at the Casio CLP100, PX110, PX310, PX700R, and the Yamha YPG625. The PX310 and YPG625 have all of the extended sounds and an available midi interface. The PX700R sounded more like a real piano to me but it doesn't have the rhythms for auto accompishment. I use the rhythms occasionally on my CTK-511 to help with my timing (I hate a metronome). But I never use the midi interface to play midi files or to input music to my computer notation software(I do that by hand). For an intermediate player do I really need the midi? :confused: Also I wonder about interfacing the units to an external sound system - is this really feasible with the Casio units?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum!

First, everything comes with a midi connection so it's not like you have a choice to buy something with or without a midi connection.

You're really referring to 'bells and whistles' and not 'midi bells and whistles' per se.

If I were you I would shop for the features you want. (It's still nice to know that you can connect your keyboard to your computer in the future if you want to play around with other aspects of music making.)

Just about everything you buy will have an audio out. The pro units will have an XLR or 1/4" outputs to feed into an amp or mixer; the units sold for home use might more likely use mini type plugs (or RCA).

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Welcome to the forum!

First, everything comes with a midi connection so it's not like you have a choice to buy something with or without a midi connection.

You're really referring to 'bells and whistles' and not 'midi bells and whistles' per se.

If I were you I would shop for the features you want. (It's still nice to know that you can connect your keyboard to your computer in the future if you want to play around with other aspects of music making.)

Just about everything you buy will have an audio out. The pro units will have an XLR or 1/4" outputs to feed into an amp or mixer; the units sold for home use might more likely use mini type plugs (or RCA).

Good advice from Dave as always. I would also suggest to consider the following. Of you are only going to play and never go beyond where your at (in terms of features) then buy only the features you need.

On the Flip side it sounds to me the more you've learned, you've started to dive into the technology side. Alot of these features are coll and may serve a helpful purpose down the road.

That being said I think its important to buy what feels and sounds best to you. I would also recommend to play as many thngs as possible and often as you can. That way your making an informed decision. Lastly be aware of sales people who will try and push something on you. They have merchandise they need to clear out.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Archived