Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Super Jupiter vs. PolyEvolver Rack

Moonglow

Hi All,

I presently have a Super Jupiter (MKS-80) which, of course, I use for tried and true analog sounds. I really enjoy it for gut-wrenching bass sounds, analog brass, and some leads. However, I have considerable difficulty getting this thing to sound lush (e.g., lush analog strings), even with the programmer (MPG-80). I was once told why this is the case.....something about the MKS-80 not having a -25 db lowpass filter (I think). Anyhow, I am considering Dave Smiths PER. Other than the polyphony issue, any advantages/disadvantages of going with the PER vs. MKS-80? Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not start with the tabletop Evolver? It's only a few hundred bucks, and if you decide you like it you can chain it to the rack for a five-voice. Plus you get a desktop programmer. If you decide you still like the Jupiter, then you still have a one-voice so it's the best of both. I think my Jupiter is the best-sounding synth I've played and would hate to get rid of it, but to each his own.

Yeah I have a Jupiter-6, very similiar to an MKS-80, and think the strings are nice as long as I incoporate PWM. But 4 voices isn't going to cut it for string parts. I like at least 5 for open fifths on the bottom sometimes.

My favorite for these types of strings (synthy) nowadays is my Fantom S with SRX-07, which has a huge variety of sampled analog synth waves for raw material, plus Roland's decent chorus for final sheen. Roland's digital filters, often maligned, are fine for this kind of subtle shading.

I totally agree about the MKS-70. Nothing can out-lush this synth. It is unbeatable for analog pads and strings.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I used to own an MKS80 (sans programmer) and agree with Moonglow's observation. It sounded great at a few things but not versatile at all. I don't think its an either/or situation. I doubt you'll find anything that will give great lush strings AND equal the MKS 80's "gut wrenching" sounds. FWIW I also remember getting some cool ethereal sounds from that synth.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Hey, thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. Yeah, my big gripe with the PEK/RER is the four-note polyphony issue, which is a deal-breaker. Having played a Prophet 5 back in the day, I could probably deal with five notes, but not four. Of course, linking two PERs together would result in a polyphony of eight, but this would represent a more substantial financial commitment.....which I'm not sure I can justify.

It seems some of you concur; it's rather disappointing that lushness can not be obtained on the MKS-80.....but I really, really, dig it for the sounds I do use it for.....the low end can really rattle a room! I just might have to obtain a separate machine for lushness, to use in conjunction with the MKS-80. The MKS-70 is an excellent recommendation....anyone know what they go for these days? Bill H's recommendation for the Fantom S with the SRX-07 expansion board also got my attention, but I am looking for a rack unit. Does the Fantom XR have the same sound set as the Fantom S? I see the SRX-07 available for the Fantom XR as well. Thanks again!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Moonglow:

Bill H's recommendation for the Fantom S with the SRX-07 expansion board also got my attention, but I am looking for a rack unit. Does the Fantom XR have the same sound set as the Fantom S? I see the SRX-07 available for the Fantom XR as well. Thanks again!

I guess I wasn't really recommending it as much as giving my solution. Using romplers for strings or anything else analog-like for that matter is distasteful to some. The learning curve for programming your own sounds is high and the results still don't cut it for purists, but I know Roland well, come up with my own sounds from scratch all the time (I'm not using even edited presets), and it's good enough for me to not pull my analogs out most of the time anyway.

But... strings both analog-like and sampled is an area that all contemporary romplers have down pretty well, and I'd recommend taking a listen to them. Half the Fantom XR's waveform ROM goes back to the S, half is added (the new piano plus some other things... guitar, brass, bass, percussion...). Whether you can live with the presets or have the desire to learn how to program your own sounds only you can answer.

Originally posted by Bill H.:

But isn't it, like, only 4 voices or something? I remember playing the PEK and it was one of the most frustrating keyboard experiences I've had recently... great sounds, but not enough notes!

Sometimes less notes is a good thing. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Moonglow:

lushness, to use in conjunction with the MKS-80. The MKS-70 is an excellent recommendation....anyone know what they go for these days?

Something like US$300-400, I think.
If that's so, it hasn't really changed in about 15 years. I think I purchased my MKS-70 for $400 back then.

And yeah, it's lush. Great sounds.

Don't forget the PG programmer for the MKS-70. It's not as necessary as on an MKS-80, but you'll want it just the same.

Every time I'm tempted to buy an MKS-70, I load up Spectrasonics Atmosphere and the feeling goes away. There are a bunch of MKS-70 samples in there, plus Wavestation and many other analog/digilog synths. That might be a good way to go for lush pads on a budget. He's made some killer combinations of analog pads and breathy layers that just make you want to cry in the rain.

synthetic, im willing to bet Moonglow has a Rev4 MKS80 which does chewy bass, pure leads and all, but, as he mentioned, has a problem sounding "lush" for pads/strings.

IIRC u got a Rev5, which fares much better in brass/stinrgs/pads dept than Rev4. that fits the difference in your MKS80 descriptions..

ditto on MKS70 being very lush,bestbuy analog pad on the market. tho Rev5 sometimes sounds like a MKS70 on steroids, as it got very similar hardware (filter, vca) but noticeably richer roland vcos, than MKS70's DCO. this is interesting , esp since most we hear from MKS70 is processed by one, sometimes two, fantastic Roland chorus circuits. Rev5 sounds pretty big with no chorus, so if one would add a CE-1 or 2 .. id like to hear how that sounds.. :cool:

if the budget is bigger then its Andromeda all the way. it is, rest of old x-voice oberheims, the richest, most organic pad machine ive ever heard. if u r closer to 1.3k than 2k, you might wanna check Xpander too - lush pads, very smooth multimode filter.

Moonglow, here's a few bits done on both A6 and MKS70, to give u some idea if it's the type of lushness u seek:

http://www.babic.com/SYN/A6/clc_A6-BerlinPad.mp3

http://www.babic.com/SYN/A6/clc_A6-MeltsInYourMouth.mp3

http://www.babic.com/SYN/A6/clc_A6-VintageStrgs.mp3

http://www.babic.com/SYN/MKS70-DblPad-Spectrum.mp3

http://www.babic.com/SYN/MKS70-Exodus.mp3

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Clusterchord, thanks for posting the clips. I wish there were more out there of synths; I get fed up with certain "synth history" sites giving such useless information as "It is used by Hardfloor, Astral Projection, Vince Clarke, Pet Shop Boys, and Snap." (And it is never used by anyone totally "uncool"... even when perhaps the most prominent use was by someone "uncool")... and poor or non-existent audio samples. (Yes, it would be better to have a "hands on experience" with the synth, but that's not always possible.)

The flavour is certainly different to the MKS-70 but this is really nice stuff. IME MKS-70 does have the problem that the sound is a bit "dirty," mine is certainly very noisy. (Maybe due to the age of the synth, or maybe it was that way when new?)

Maybe I'll get shot for mentioning a digital synth here, but the Kurzweil K2XXX series can do super pads too... huge possibilities in triple mode (K26XX.)

ftp://ftp.youngchang.com/pub/Kurzweil/Audio_Demos/MP3/TripleMode/TripleDemo.mp3

Archived