Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Patches that don't die!!!

zvenx

hi do anyone else have patches that they use over and over even ten years/twenty years later? Not counting piano, clavinet and rhodes/wurlitzer which will never die :-)

My two are on my Korg T2.... Piano Pad and Tchu Wave.... I still loves these patches as much as when I got the keyboard almost 20 years ago, and those patches play a part in almost 30% of my production even in minor parts up to this day.

anyone else have their own favourites?

rsp

richard sven

sound sculptist

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, you've already eliminated me from the pool. ;)

However, my favorite non-M&P/B&B sound is a Sine Wave Pad. Adds weight and sits real nice in the mix. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I liked patch #88 on a DW-8000 that I had borrowed from our band's bass player for a while. This gave a really nice jet engine sound, which was the perfect lead-in for the start of the Beatles song "Back in the USSR". I am not sure if this was a standard sound on the DW-8000, or if my friend (the bass player) had programmed it. I had to return the DW-8000, and I have not found a way to replace this sound with my current MIDI controller and Roland XV-5050 expanded with SRX-07. If anyone knows of a good way to get a good jet engine sound into my XV-5050, I'd love to hear it!

Harmonizer , I still have my DW 8000 ( since 1987 my first keyboard ) 88 jet sound was on mine from the start. I used 87 for the start of Fox On The Run for years . My DW has not been used live for over ten years and I often miss some of its great analogue patches . It came with a cassette of factory program settings that you can load with the help of a cassette recorder . I still have this tape and the keyboard is for sale !!
JDP

Eeeh, when I were a lad....

Went down to the British music fair at Olympia back in 1987 (I think it was that year, I've slept since then). The year that the Simmons 9 kit was launched. Right opposite the Simmons stall was Korg. I asked the demonstrator from Korg what the new synth was.

"Our new synth, DW8000. Have a play" and then he sauntered off.

Before synths had 1000s of sounds I'd listen to every sound on the board (Yes, the jet sound was there).

After 10 minutes or so the guy came over and asked me what I thought.

"Love it. I notice the #61 patch (Analogue Brass) is almost like the sound used on 'Jump', but not quite". Please remember folks, the song had only recently come out & hadn't been played to death in every music store.

"Well, change it then". He quipped. You didn't need a degree to modify the parameters and I soon had my version programmed in. (Organ envelope on the DCA with added blip on the front, filter tweaked, delay time modded).

A week later the Keyboard mag of the time mentioned the DW8000 'launch', & that it had been taken back to Japan for a new keyboard & new sounds.

Six months later when I finally had enough money to buy one, the little blue program card that came with it listed program #61 as.....

Jump! :cry:

And the moral of this story is, (altogether, now).....

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

I bought a DW8000 brand new. Gigged with it for 20 years. Yes patch 88 was there with the jet sound....I too used it for back in the USSR.

I had a patch 22 that I used for Jump, also back when this song wsn't played to death.

Alas, I have finally retired the board and replaced it with a Triton Ex with MOSS.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Originally posted by soundscape:

I haven't heard "Jump" in years.

There's a youtube of David Lee Roth singing Jump with a bluegrass band on some talk show. The band kicks ass, but Roth looks insane.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by jon from oz:

You were lucky ! We could'nt afford to go to the music fair and only had a handful of gravel for breakfast !!

Well, when I said it were a music fair, it were only some codger wi' a paper comb an' a penny whistle deawn us aightside loo, but it were a music fair to us!

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Originally posted by JustaJigolo:

Originally posted by jon from oz:

You were lucky ! We could'nt afford to go to the music fair and only had a handful of gravel for breakfast !!

Well, when I said it were a music fair, it were only some codger wi' a paper comb an' a penny whistle deawn us aightside loo, but it were a music fair to us!
Er... could you possibly translate that into something that anyone south of... Knutsford can understand? ;)

One of my favorites was the Sax Section, combi 77 on the Korg M1. Set the tuning to Equal Tempered 2, where it would be a bit out of tune, and it was a very acceptable substitute. So much so that I recreated it on my N364, or at least came close. I even put it at position 77.

I just got the Korg Digital Legacy collection. I can see better how the sax section was created so I can tweak my Sax section a bit more on the N364. I also forgot just how good the clav was on the M1.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

I try to play the D-50 "Digital Native Dance" patch in every song, but eventually I get kicked out of the band... I wonder if there's a connection? ;)

:rolleyes:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Any more, when I'm doing music - which has taken a big back seat to writing and arranging music backed roleplays, I do synth sounds on the fly.

I have run into a cool situation where the landlord bought a PowerMac and ProTools LE 7, and my brother imported a Japanese lady friend who plays keyboards, so perhaps music will be flying more in the near future. I intend to get the Arturia Moog Modular V sometime soon and add the patchwork monster to the arsenal, once again programmed on the spot.

When I do something traditional, it's a sweetly chorused synth pad or something like the Jens Lead, but I try to add some element to it so that it doesn't sound like a preset used a million times. With a sawtooth lead, that rarely works. ;)

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Archived