Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Jordan using a Fantom X8?

Still Learning

Rumor has it that this is a fairly recent photo of Dream Theaters recording studio. His Oasys is there. I found this posted over at Fantomized.

Anybody know if DT is using a Fantom X8?

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=209&d=1162304635

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm... not sure what the big deal is, about DT using something other than the Oasys... JR also uses/has used a Muse Receptor, a Roland V-Synth, Moog (?) Modular, and numerous other synths while recording.

Live, of course, he uses just the Oasys, the Modular, the Haken Continuum + VSynth combo and his pedal steel guitar... but in the studio, they can and should use whatever they'd like to achieve the sounds they want/need. Then they can sample them into the Oasys for live shows.

Sorry, what's the question again?

As good as the Fantom X8 is, it doesn't hold a candle to the flexibility and power of the Oasys (and trust me, I'm not a huge fan of the Oasys). He can pull off his gigs with the Oasys as his main axe; I seriously doubt he could do it with a single Fantom X8. :(

It takes a board with some pretty serious performance capabilities to give up a fully loaded Kurzweil K2600XS and a pair of K2600RS's...

I'm getting the sense that this is the beginning of yet another "pro with an endorsement deal" conspiracy theory thread, which is really too bad. :(

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

...I'm getting the sense that this is the beginning of yet another "pro with an endorsement deal" conspiracy theory thread, :(

Sven, are you always this paranoid or is it just around Halloween? Lighten up a bit, relax, take a deep breath.

Reminds me of Simon & Garfunkels's America tune:

....She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy

I said "Be careful his bowtie is really a camera"....

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Originally posted by RABid:

What is interesting is to see what he really uses as opposed to what he is paid to promote and be seen with on stage.

I agree, it's interesting to see how proffesional studio looks like and what they use, since I'm building my own currently.

e.g I wasn't sure if wooden walls are good idea, now I know that can be used instead of foams etc.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I rushed out to the store today on the way home from work to immediately buy an X8 after hearing this news! :love:

Just joking.

I'm sure the guy has mad chops regardless of what gear he uses. I once heard a very talented keyboard player make a Casio sing like a $100k Fairlight. But that's another thread. :eek:

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by delirium:

What is interesting is to see what he really uses as opposed to what he is paid to promote and be seen with on stage.

I agree, it's interesting to see how proffesional studio looks like and what they use, since I'm building my own currently.

e.g I wasn't sure if wooden walls are good idea, now I know that can be used instead of foams etc.

What's NOT a good idea is building a studio based on picture. ;)

Busch.

What are the two units on the back left. They look like single unit racks. The top unit is black and red and below it is a silver unit.

The black and red unit is the Harkin controller. The other is a pedal steel guitar.

Notice the Roland SH-201 straight back.

Busch.

Get Dave on the Horne, there is no FN sheet music on those GD stands! :D

Then again, maybe he wrote the charts out on those little scraps of paper but I can't see the chords. Think it's Etta? ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Manhunter:

Originally posted by eric:

I rushed out to the store today on the way home from work to immediately buy an X8 after hearing this news! :love:

Just joking.

Eric,

We all know that you never joke about buying gear!

Dave

That's hot! :thu:

I do have some new gear on the way momentarily! Can't wait. I'm sure I'll be posting about it sooner or later. If that darn FedEx guy would just leave it on my back porch rather than teasing me with the call tag stuck to the front door, life would be grand!

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Yes... and again, what's the point of this discussion? Are you somehow shocked that JR would be using something other than what he brings onstage? Should he not be using an X8 for some reason? :confused:

I would have thought the point was to look at the gear Jordan was using in the studio. Whether or not you consider 'equipment list' discussions worthwhile is another matter.

Originally posted by soundscape:

I would have thought the point was to look at the gear Jordan was using in the studio. Whether or not you consider 'equipment list' discussions worthwhile is another matter.

That's no problem, but the tone of the initial post seemed to imply that it was a huge shock that JR might actually be playing a Fantom X8... why that should be shocking is what I was inquiring about.

Frankly, I think it's more interesting that there's no Korg or Kurzweil gear in the picture...

I think "what is missing" is the point that a good keyboard player can and will use almost anything. ;)

Exclusivity comes down to taste, feel and endorsements. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived