Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great keyboards in lesser-known, lesser-played songs

stepay

Got any of these?

I vote for Styx's Blue Collar Man. (I know it's not completely unknown, but it almost never comes up when great keyboard songs are mentioned). Just a great sound there even though it's not spectacularly difficult.

What else?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any cut on "True Stories" by David Sancious.

The opening dissonant chords on UK's "Danger Money" are the absolute bomb.

Many people today are not aware of the burning Rhodes and Hammond on Brian Auger's "Live Oblivion" albums.

Heh. Jan Hammer's legendary synth intro to "Quadrant 4" on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" album. Again well known by old fusion heads, but mostly lost to anyone under 40.

Moe

---

I've been listening to Dave Grusin's *Mountain Dance*. This is a jazz fusion instrumental recording so no songs, but Grusin is a great player and composer. Piano, mini moog, obx and prophet 5 solos and rhythmic backing.

Outstanding playing by Marcus Miller, Harvey Mason, Jeff Mironov, Ed Walsh, Ian Underwood, and Ruben Basini. It was recorded live in the studio and one of the first digital recordings.

Spooky Tooth, Waiting For The Wind (Gary Wright)

Deep Purple, Kentucky Woman (Jon Lord, of course)

Santana, Mother Africa (Tom Coster & Richard Kermode)

Quicksilver, Edward the Mad Shirt Grinder (Nicky Hopkins)

Blind Faith, Do What You Like (Stevie Winwood)

Blood Sweat & Tears, I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know (Al Kooper)

...and there's some James Gang tune with some killer organ on it, can't remember the name...

...and some Argent tune with great aco piano - Rod plays a solo almost entirely in Lydian mode. Man, I wish I could find this stuff.

And since you listed Blue Collar Man, I'm going to assume that the Jeff Beck Group's "Situation" (Max Middleton) isn't any less obscure than that. One of the best constructed Rhodes solos of all time.

Finally - anything by Little Feat, just about. Billy Payne rules.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Mitchell Froom's keyboards on "Gamma 3" by Ronnie Montrose are phenomenal. Steve Walsh's keyboard work on Street's "1st" album is tasty as well. Although probably not lesser-known among us.....but perhaps lesser-played.....I enjoyed Emerson's work on "3" (donning asbestos suit).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Max Middleton -- yes! There is no tastier Rhodes playing than on Beck's "Blow By Blow" album. (I was bummed when Jan Hammer replaced him on "Wired.")

Joe Jackson's solo in "Cancer" (on "Night & Day") is awesome.

And, of course, I have to mention my hero, Mr. Fagen, whose Wurlitzer solo in "Your Gold Teeth" is perfection. Oh, and the piano solo in "Fire In The Hole" ain't chopped liver either.

By the way, Stepay, I actually got to play "Blue Collar Man" with Styx's Tommy Shaw LIVE on the radio back in 1993! This was when he was out with Jack Blades (Night Ranger) as Shaw/Blades. It actually was a rude parody we wrote called "Dog Collar Man." They came up during the morning show and we just slipped them the "revised" lyrics right there in the studio, sight unseen. They (especially Tommy) were troopers and played right along. I had my original 1979 Korg CX-3 (which I still own) squeezed in there and even got a "shout out" from Tommy at the end. Here's a link to the audio. It's one of the highlights (or should I say "lowlights" of my career):

http://www.fm99.com/audio/dog.mp3

What else?
Other groups with good keyboards. I'll leav it to you fine folks to discuss particular tracks (in no particular order):

Kayak

Renaissance

Hatfield & The North

National Health

Egg

Badger

Camel

Atomic Rooster (heh...)

Fireballet

Pavlov's Dog (uhh - minus the vocals)

Premiata Forneria Marconi

Triumvarat

Jezz, I could go on and on! But, that should keep some of you young kids busy on Google for a little while. I'm missing my nap...

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Great thread!

Here what comes to my mind:

- Mitchel Forman's big synth chords and great final lead in "Wonderama", the first tune on his album "Train of thought"

- Steve Hunt's keyboard work on Allan Holdsworth's "Wardencliffe Tower" and "Hard Hat Area"

- British pianist Gordon Beck comping and soloing on "Giant Steps", from violinist Didier Lockwood's "New World"

- David Goldblatt's keyboards on Scott Henderson's "Nomad"

- Stanley Cowell's "Dave's Chant" from his own album "Equipoise"

- not exactly "lesser-known", but... Herbie's incredible Rhodes comping on Joni Mitchell's "A chair in the sky" and the whole "Mingus" album

plus tracks by Stu Goldberg, Gil Goldstein, Evan Lurie... mmmm

• anything by Uriah Heep with Ken Henshley on keyboards
  • anything by Manfred Mann Earth Band

If you think you're tough, try Henshley's B3 solo on Gypsy using full-weighted keys and see how many fingers you have left at the end. :D

fifty nine...

fifty eight...

angelz at my gate... :freak:

Well not really "unknown" they don't get much airplay anymore..

I always enjoyed Head East's "Never Been Any Reason."

The synth intro and solo, as well as good use of organ throughout was one of the things that turned me onto playing in a band.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Holy cow! Gamma 3 mention in a thread! We have all three Gamma albums, and I must say I like #3 the best.

Atomic Rooster was also mentioned. I haven't heard much by them just yet, but they have shared a vocalist in common with Colosseum, whose album "Daughter of Time" I recently bought and have been spinning. Dave Greenslade is a pretty darn good keyboardist, too.

Mannfred Mann's rendition of "Hollywood Town" has a great synth solo, in my opinion.

Darren Landrum

Originally posted by mojazz:

I've been listening to Dave Grusin's *Mountain Dance*. This is a jazz fusion instrumental recording so no songs, but Grusin is a great player and composer. Piano, mini moog, obx and prophet 5 solos and rhythmic backing.

Outstanding playing by Marcus Miller, Harvey Mason, Jeff Mironov, Ed Walsh, Ian Underwood, and Ruben Basini. It was recorded live in the studio and one of the first digital recordings.

That song was the theme music to a BBC radio program I used to listen to when I was a kid. :thu:

I bought his collection album just for that song and discovered a lot of gems in there. It's a very well written piece.

Jerry

Big Bird,

Man that was awesome! What great sports those guys were. Who's playing guitar?

Nice playing by you by the way. I love that song (the original and yours!).

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Thanks, Stepay. Both Tommy and Jack were playing acoustic guitars. Yeah, we really lucked out cause they could have taken a look at the lyrics we gave them and said, "No way!" In fact, Blades was the reluctant one -- you can hear him protest throughout. Shaw LOVED every minute of it. I actually got to play a few other tunes that morning (normal versions) but, alas, the recordings are gone forever. Oh, and one of the funniest things was that we kept torturing Shaw by playing the intro of "Mr. Roboto" over and over again. He confirmed what we already knew -- that he HATED that whole project and was coerced into it by Dennis DeYoung.

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

Atomic Rooster was also mentioned. I haven't heard much by them just yet, but they have shared a vocalist in common with Colosseum, whose album "Daughter of Time" I recently bought and have been spinning.

Atomic Rooster - famous to the casual fan as having had Carl Palmer on drums, actually started as an organ power trio prior to ELP. The organist was Vincent Crane, a really great player who you might have heard all over the song "Fire" by Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

I discovered Vincent Crane shortly after I heard ELP's first album and saw them in concert on their first American tour. He smokes for sure.

Moe

---

Jerry Corbetta was the monster organ player in Sugarloaf, and he still performs a monster organ today.

It's interesting to look at the artists KM has covered over the last twenty years and note how few are mentioned in this thread... a lot of precious music out there that doesn't get mainstream notice.

True, MC, but once you get "mainstream" notice all the "true" musicians" disown you as a "sellout." :-)

Hey, Les, LOVE the HATFIELD & THE NORTH mention. Talk about wonderfully obscure. But it's not just "young kids" you'll send to Google with your list. I'm 51 and there are at least a couple on your list I either haven't heard (or don't remember)!

Dafduk,

...and there's some James Gang tune with some killer organ on it, can't remember the name...
The tune was "Tend My Garden" I played that tune for like 500+ gigs I think with my band from 1972 - 1975 with my M3 and Leslie 145 and some nice warm tube overdrive! The Lead Singer and Guitar Player loved the JG, so did I!

Spooky Tooth was a big favorite in my ol band also, but more so for me and the Guitar player, we did Evil Woman! Funny how Spooky Tooth and Rhinocerous are both in the same part of my brain's filing cabinet from those years. . .

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

not too obscure but Sly Stone's organ playing on "This Time" from the album Fresh is totally amazing throughout

Craig Doerge played many signature keyboard licks throughout his career but one that sticks out for me is the EP solo on "Dark Star" from the CSN album, love it. I haven't heard it in a long time, was it a Rhodes or a Wurly?

One of the most underrated but great keys guys I know of is Taz DiGregorio with the Charlie Daniels Band. You have to go back to their old Southern Rock jammin' days to see him open up. Cuts like Funky Junky and Birmingham Blues off of the Nightrider album have some great organ and piano jams on them along with a ton of other earlier stuff too.

When Charlie D. went big-time and landed in Country Music, Taz's playing was restrained quite a bit. He's a great player though.

BD

1956 Hammond C3 with Leslie 122, Roland V-Combo, Trek II Preamp, Peavey KB 100, 1976 Natural Maple Rickenbacker 4001S bass

And yes folks, I do gig with a Casio WK 3700...So there!

Archived