Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Εdirol Orchestral - help please

yannis D

Hi guys - your help would be much appreciated

I got Edirol Orchestral runnin' on Live 5 as a simple VST. My problem is that i can't adjust more than one istrument for simultaneous playin (even after i read the edirol help-on-line text...). That means that if i have to play TOGETHER strings, flute and clarinet i have to open edirol 3 times in Live (and the CPU goes higher and higher...). I believe that, normaly, i should be able to put several intruments on the same midi channel (inside Edirol) and run them at once, but i can't find how to do this. BTW, Edirol's surface has 16 positions (16 midi channels) with different instrument categories. So, how's it possible to adjust midi channel for those instruments without having to open Edirol more than one time in Live?

Thnx again for any help

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Google search for edirol orchestral multitimbral came back with this Orchestral tutorial . It's written for Cakewalk users, but it appears to contain enough information to get you set up.

If that doesn't help, you may need to better understand how Live implements VST support; can't help you there, except to suggest a Google for ableton live vst perhaps. ;)

Good luck.

Originally posted by yannis D:

That means that if i have to play TOGETHER strings, flute and clarinet i have to open edirol 3 times in Live (and the CPU goes higher and higher...). I believe that, normaly, i should be able to put several intruments on the same midi channel (inside Edirol) and run them at once, but i can't find how to do this.

Just re-read your message. If you're attempting to get 3 of the Orchestral instruments to play the same thing, simply copy the first track's MIDI data to 2 other tracks, and change the MIDI channel they're triggering. Keep the Orchestral instruments on separate MIDI channels (even if they can be changed, you shouldn't approach things this way, as it's counter-intuitive to the approach (for example, if you wanted the flute to suddenly alter to a harmony or counterpoint part, you'd have to break that channel out anyway).

Hope this helps? ;)

thnxalot

i know wha do you mean by "don't change midi channels"" and i won't. But i still can't figure out how to achieve the hole thing... i;ll give it a try again, thnx for your help anyway :confused:

thnxalot

i know wha do you mean by "don't change midi channels"" and i won't. But i still can't figure out how to achieve the hole thing... i;ll give it a try again, thnx for your help anyway :confused:

Okay, let's strip it down to the simple stuff. You can set up Orchestral in Live so that you can record a MIDI track triggering, say, a string part on a single MIDI channel, right?

So now, if you want to have an oboe play the exact same part, you can copy the track in Live, and point it to the Orchestral VST, but on a different MIDI channel. Now, you have two tracks in Live, both pointing at Orchestral, but sending data on different MIDI channels.

Surely this is simple enough in Live, yes? I ask because I've never used the software, but I can't imagine that a DAW that's up to version 6 doesn't support this... but I could be mistaken.

Confirm that you're able to get this far, and you should be able to get where you want to go from here. ;)

i did not make my self clear... my problem is playin' live the two instruments together, not record them. That's why i'm having a hard time. I need to play real time together, and i think there's no way to do it unless i open differend Edirol channels in Live... Thnx anyway for you time and energy - if i find something, i'll post

Yannis

Okay, so I've spent a bit of time investigating this on the Ableton forums. Keep in mind that I don't run Ableton Live, nor Edirol Orchestral, so you're going to have to consult your manuals to cover some of the gaps for yourself.

However, this thread on the Ableton forum talks about using Rewire with multitimbral VSTs, as well as (apparently) the way to work within Live to get such VST's working?

I'm sure an Ableton user would be able to give you menu choices and button clicks to walk you through this, but better to teach a man to fish, no? ;)

Good luck.

i did not make my self clear... my problem is playin' live the two instruments together, not record them. That's why i'm having a hard time. I need to play real time together, and i think there's no way to do it unless i open differend Edirol channels in Live... Thnx anyway for you time and energy - if i find something, i'll post

Yannis

Ah, yeah... that would have been useful to mention at the outset of this thread. :rolleyes:

Moving on, now...

hey Sven

i finally figured out how to do it - i open differend midi channels without opening Edirol more than one time. Then, i put different midi outs in the every midi channel and i run different edirol instruments. It was simple but someone had to tell me :eek:

thnx for your help

Yannis

Archived