Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A little OT: Advice for a PA Rack

NoahZark

Hey everyone,

I realize that this post is probably better suited for the Live Sound forum over at HC, but I've spent a little time over there and, frankly, it just felt like I was walking through the wrong part of town. It just wasn't comfortable. (Is it just me, or are those guys mean?) Anyway, here I am back "home," wondering if any of you can help with a little off-topic advice on some rack equipment for a PA system.

As I'm sure is the case with a lot of you guys, I have become the de facto sound guy for our band (in part because I'm the lead vocalist in addition to the keyboard player but also because no one else wants to step up). Right now, I'm using a system that's as basic as it can get (Yamaha mixer with built-in fx and two Mackie SRM-450s mostly for vocals). I'm looking to grow into something a little bigger, however -- subs, monitors, outboard effects, eq, compression, etc.) so that we can start to run more of the band through the PA.

I'm committed to starting with a decent Furman power conditioner, and I'm likely to pick up an external reverb/delay module like a TC Electronic M350. With respect to the other stuff, however, I don't know whether to go with an "all-in-one" solution like a dbx DriveRack PA or separate rack units for EQ, compression, feedback elimination, etc.

I'm also wondering whether a BBE Sonic Maximizer deserves a place in the rack. I've read that most pros think the BBE doesn't add anything beyond what a good EQ can do, but I'm decidedly not a pro, and I'm looking for SIMPLE solutions that I can easily run from the stage without too much disruption to my keyboard and vocal duties.

I'm a virtual newbie when it comes to most of this gear -- e.g., I know what a compressor does and I've certainly played with my share of EQs, but I'm not a sound engineer, and, as I said, simple is better!

So, can anyone help? Is the DriveRack a good solution for a newbie or is that more of a tool for a seasoned pro? What do you guys have in your band's PA rack and why?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

All the best,

Noah

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you need to run more of the band through the P.A.? Is this for rehearsals or gigs (or both)?

as one of the meanies... yeah it was you...lol... the only ones that get "mistreated" are guy's that dont try to do a search... or ask questions like "what's the perfect $99.00 mic for doing rap tracks?"... or ask things that are answered on pg29 of the manual in bold face.... in other words dont be alarmed ... the first thing you want to do is some analysis... what is it about yor current system that you like??? what dont ya like? what's it need to do that it currently cant? how bigga room are you working? how many inputs?? what monitoring do you need?? got the idea??? give it some thought and ask away...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by dementedchord:

as one of the meanies... yeah it was you...lol... the only ones that get "mistreated" are guy's that dont try to do a search... or ask questions like "what's the perfect $99.00 mic for doing rap tracks?"... or ask things that are answered on pg29 of the manual in bold face.... in other words dont be alarmed ...

Hey, sorry, didn't mean to offend. It's just that I have heard folks in this Forum talk on occasion about the general tenor of the dialogue over on HC, and my browsing over there confirmed some of what I heard. Look, KC can certainly be harsh, too, for folks doing the very same things that you identify, but it seems that lots of the members here come to the defense of such "offenders," rather than piling on. Anyway . . . .

Originally posted by dementedchord:

the first thing you want to do is some analysis... what is it about yor current system that you like??? what dont ya like? what's it need to do that it currently cant? how bigga room are you working? how many inputs?? what monitoring do you need?? got the idea??? give it some thought and ask away...

Good questions, and I have given them plenty of thought. To answer Ken's question, this would be mainly for gigging. We're a classic rock cover band that aspires to play local clubs and bars (150-300 people) and the occasional outdoor gig. I'm looking to build a system that we can comfortably use in those circumstances. I'd like to mic the drums and the other instruments and run my keys direct to achieve a better overall sound and mix. I'd also like to provide basic monitoring for the guys onstage --keys/vocals, two guitars (one mainly acoustic), bass, and drums.

I guess the point is this: I know basically what I need to add to my existing bare bones system to do what I want to do -- subs (probably powered to go with the SRM450s), passive monitor wedges, power amp for the monitors, outboard reverb/delay, EQ, compression -- but what I'm looking for is advice on what you pros out there would recommend I buy given my severe inexperience as a "sound engineer" in order to (1) accomplish the goal and (2) minimize headache (since I'll be doing this myself from the stage).

Noah

Noah, you already know from reading live sound boards that the possibilities are endless and minimization of headaches is an oxymoron. ;)

The easiest way for keyboard player/sound man to run a band's sound is to do the following:

Vocals-SM58s

Guitars-DI box or SM57 on the amp

Drums-(1) mic on kick, (1) mic snare/hi-hat and (1) mic on overhead (toms & cymbals)

Pick up an 8 channel compressor to tame the signals individually.

Run the TC Electronics on the Aux channel of your mixer for wetting vocals.

The dbx Driverack could be a good simple solution for running your speaker system since it has built in presets for certain speaker configurations including crossover, EQ, comp/limit, feedback elimination, etc.

Mackies subs would be consistent with your tops.

Make sure you get a decent power amp for the monitor system.

At a minimum, this will allow you put everything through the PA system without blowing it up. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ProfD:

Thanks very much. Any recommendations for a specific 8-channel compressor? Most of the dbx models I've looked at are dual channel. Would I be better off stacking up a few of those (like the 266xl) or buying something like a PreSonus ACP88 (which I know nothing about but found doing a Google search for "8 channel compressor")?

Thanks again.

Noah

Archived