Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

about musicianbuy

medicalpiano

Hello friends...

I recently was playing pianos in a music store in McAllen, Texas.

Dealer told me about musicianbuy, and it was not good. (selling Europe configuration instruments, Yamaha services dont accept some of these instruments, and somethings like these)

I´ve tried to connect to musicianbuy.com but it doesnt work. Is it a trustly site to buy??

Have you had any experience buying with musicianbuy??

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try:

www.musiciansbuy.com

You're missing the plural.

I placed one order with them about 5 years ago and it went poorly. I remember having to go back and forth with them via email until they reversed the charges on my credit card. I don't even recall what the issue was but I believe I documented it on one of these forums.

Haven't been back there since and have no idea what's changed in the past five years, good or bad.

Tommy

I probably won't buy there again. I bought an S-90 there a few years back -- "B Stock". They said it had a minor scratch and dent -- but the price was right. When the S-90 arrived, it had a pretty good-sized scratch, and a very healthy dent (but was playable). They packed it in a beat up old box - probably the same one that was used before when the board got the scratch and the dent. And the great price? $75 higher when the credit card bill came in. I didn't complain - but I'll shop at more reputable dealers in the future. So - use caution if you do shop there. But remember - there are a dozen other internet dealers with similar prices and better reputations.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Originally posted by TommyBoy:

Try:

www.musiciansbuy.com

You're missing the plural.

I placed one order with them about 5 years ago and it went poorly. I remember having to go back and forth with them via email until they reversed the charges on my credit card. I don't even recall what the issue was but I believe I documented it on one of these forums.

Haven't been back there since and have no idea what's changed in the past five years, good or bad.

Tommy

+1 Same exact scenario for me. As previously stated their are many other online stores which are much better to deal with. I've had good dealing with quite a few over the years.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I just looked at their website and noticed immediately that they're very clever in how they structure the home page vis-a-vis current search engine placement thinking.

I would imagine that their site comes up in search engines very high on page one, when you search for a specific instrument from a manufacturer, ie, when using a search string like "Roland RD700SX" or "Yamaha electric keyboard". Combined with their discounts, that strategy must attract many customers.

However, bad customer service combined with a great marketing strategy often sums up poorly for the consumer.

Remember that you always get what you pay for. If prices are low, the profit margin has to come out of another account, as business runs on a zero-sum accounting model. Expenses cannot exceed income for very long.

Low prices are great, and I've played the game that way myself, but when you have a problem with your purchase, you find out what a company is really made of. Service after the sale should always be part of the buying and selling relationship, especially when the commodity is a complex machine, like a synth or computer.

That's why I like to shop locally when buying a big ticket high-tech commodity items. This way, if I have a problem, I can always go back to the store, and camp out there if necessary, until I'm satisfied with my purchase.

If you've ever had a problem like this with mail-order or an internet site, you can almost calculate what service is worth. For instance, if I had to ship my 50 pound 88-key synth to California for service, what would it cost, compared to driving it downtown to my local music store?

regards,

--kwgm

Well, there's always Sweetwater. You will pay MAP price, but you get free shipping, and a money back guarantee. You won't get beat up or floor models, you get new product.

Sometimes you can get a lower price from a local dealer, but be sure they have something of a service department or you're better off just shopping by price. Dealers that don't give you any value go out of business eventually.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

My favorite online place is www.americanmusicalsupply.com. Free shipping on most things and 3-5 months to pay (equal amount each month) with no interest or penalty on most things.

Got a dent and scratch from them and it took me 15 minutes to find the dent!

Great place so far for me.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Well, there's always Sweetwater. You will pay MAP price, but you get free shipping, and a money back guarantee. You won't get beat up or floor models, you get new product.

Sometimes you can get a lower price from a local dealer, but be sure they have something of a service department or you're better off just shopping by price. Dealers that don't give you any value go out of business eventually.

Mike T.

Maybe you've been lucky. I wasn't. They sent me broken keyboard stand, exchanged for even worse one, and got me big problems with getting my money back (minus shipping unfortunatelly) They even removed my review from their site because it was not positive...

Never buy from Sweetwater again!

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Americanmusical.com rocks. I have had great shopping experience dealing with them and I buy a lot. Have an excellent 45 days return policy, you got free shipping and everything is brand new, except when it says "non packing factory" or "dent and scratch" merchandise.

Originally posted by delirium:

Mike T.

Maybe you've been lucky. I wasn't. They sent me broken keyboard stand, exchanged for even worse one, and got me big problems with getting my money back (minus shipping unfortunatelly) They even removed my review from their site because it was not positive...

Never buy from Sweetwater again!

Thanks Mike T for the kind words and for your business.

Delirium, can you provide me with any more details about your experience? Your post is not reflective of how we do business and I'd like the opportunity to dig in and figure out what happened. If you would be so kind and contact me at 800 222 4700 ext. 1040, you'll get right to my desk. You can also reach me at my E-mail, Doug_Strahm@Sweetwater.com if this is more convenient for you. Either way, let me know and and I'll get right on resolving any outstanding issues for you.

Sincerely,

Doug Strahm

Director of Customer Service

Sweetwater

I bought a lot of stuff from American Musical Supply when I lived in the US and the service and prices were excellent.

I recently bought an amp from Sweetwater and also had excellent service.

Those few times I was unhappy, I simply complained. I have since learned that it's more effective to post your dissatisfaction at your web site as google will enter those pages in their database.

(I won't mention any names here but anyone searching for information about certain products or stores will see my complaints on the first ten hits for the names in question. Don't get mad, get even.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Delirium,

I'd urge you to give Sweetwater the chance to fix your issue. I recently bought a Nord Stage that came with a busted key. I shipped it back and they sent a new one, this time it was perfect. I wasn't out any extra money, and the original price was very competitive - I basically named my price and they agreed to it.

Moe

---

Originally posted by medicalpiano:

Hello friends...

I recently was playing pianos in a music store in McAllen, Texas.

Dealer told me about musicianbuy, and it was not good.

Thanks.

why dont you give your local dealer who you tried his pianos out a chance to offer you a deal....jeez

you played his pianos ,you sucked his knowledge,and you walked out his door.

he at least deserves a thought.

the more we discard our local dealers the less we will ever be able to actually try out an actual instrument.

while I can buy locally I will....its so much fun trying to knock them down anyway..also most of our local dealers sell online anyway...they try to tell you that they cant match thier online price in thier store,...but thats b#llshit...they are paying for the store staff anyway to either sell in person or to package online products...our Australian /Sydney stores dont have separate departments they are one in the same...ie the same building.

so if they cant give me at least as good as thier own online price Ill go to the next shop untill I get it...this way the local stores stay open because we continue to buy from them.

its not that the local store and thier own online price is that much different anyway...Australians still pay heaps for thier gear compared to overseas.

I do find it rediculous when a local store tells you that they cant match thier own online price though...

it should actually be cheaper for these shop front/online stores to sell direct...

we have the money in person...

no credit card fees,cash on the nose.

and no postage to worry about....

and we usually have made a firm decision on the product...no returns because we dont like it.

dont try to tell us its dearer to run a shop then your online store when both are actually run from the one small shopfront.No extra staff as both can work in either.

give the dealers a chance....or we will never have the luxury of trying a piano in the future.

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Delirium,

I'd urge you to give Sweetwater the chance to fix your issue. I recently bought a Nord Stage that came with a busted key. I shipped it back and they sent a new one, this time it was perfect. I wasn't out any extra money, and the original price was very competitive - I basically named my price and they agreed to it.

Well, I think I gave them. We exchanged few emails

and phone calls. I think also that "free shipping" they advertise is not that free. When I wanted to return item I had to pay my shipping cost plus they deducted their shipping cost from my refund.

BTW much higher then I'd ship myself...

Zzound or Sameday music don't do that.

Another thing got 2 times items in a box which was in very bad shape, with holes in it.

Luckly it was only 34$ keyboard stand on which I lost 18$ on shipping and fees getting nothing...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Delirium:

I bought several things from Sweetwater. Besides a new Keyboard, I bought a stand for it. It came in damaged. However, it was in the originally factory shipped box. So it was obvious, it WAS NOT Sweetwater's fault, it was the Mfg. I called Sweetwater, they shipped me a new stand that I received in two days. I shipped them back the damaged stand and was not charged for any shipping.

I can't understand why you would have such a problem. I've complained to Sweetwater about paying MAP prices, but that's what they need to charge to give me service too.

If you ever hit a dead end, you can always email the owner, Chuck. He WILL reply and take care of you. I KNOW this to be true.

No, they are not the "low price" company, they are the "fair price" company. Service has never been an issue with them since I've dealt with Sweetwater, and I'm talking "years". I'm not easy to please, and Sweetwater has always take care of me.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Delirium:

I've complained to Sweetwater about paying MAP prices, but that's what they need to charge to give me service too.

Mike T.

hi mike

just wondering if you could clarrify "MAP" prices for this non American reader.

Is it what we call RRP.

ie....Recomended Retail Price

perhaps MAP is Manufacturers Average Price or similar.

enjoying this thread and like to understand why they can offer better service because of MAP?

cheers Aussiekeys

Minimum Advrtised Price.

The concept is to set the price so that a small shop selling smaller quantaties can post the same price as large internet stores. It is an attempt to keep the big internet stores from totally running small shops out of business.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived