Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with a first keyboard

Dan P

I've been a guitar player for 2 and a half years,and theres no chance I'm giving it up, but I've decided to buy a cheap keyboard,just for a messabout.

Anyway,heres my problem. Since I'm not going to play it too seriously,I don't want to buy anything amazing or expensive.So I was looking in the Argos catalogue (English shop if you haven't heard of it) And there are 2 in there that caught my attention,mainly because of the price. Here are the links:

The cheaper one

And

The slightly more expensive one.

I have no knowledge of keyboards,so I was hoping someone could help me.Are both of these keyboards really bad,because they are so cheap?And if not,is it worth the extra £20 for the second one,where the only advantage that I understand is the pitch shifter?

Thanks for taking the time to read,even if you cannot help

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan P:

Are both of these keyboards really bad, because they are so cheap?

The answer is yes, of course if I base my answer comparing with the pro keyboards around today. :)

But that's an OK choice if you just want to experiment for a while or have a limited budget. And if you discover you really want to get more serious playing keyboards, you can always buy a better one later. :cool:

I started on a Magnus reed organ when I was small. It sounded more like an accordion, but that was perfect to begin experimenting back then. Then I bought my first keyboard called a Welson organ, which was fine for the budget I had then. Later, I discovered I could do better and decided to buy a more serious instrument.

So that's just normal, to go progressively. No need to buy a Synclavier the first week. :D

The good thing today is, you can have a much better "unexpensive" keyboard now that you could in my days (70s and 80s), as technology advanced a lot since then.

Wow,fast reply :o .Thanks for the advice :)I kinda expected them both to be bad.I was reading their specification things on the sites,and the expensive one has"MIDI input",can you please tell me what that is?Is it where I can plug in and install my own MIDI sounds to the keyboard?

And also the record/playback feature,is it any good?Would it be useful to record some kind of rhythm backing that I could practise guitar improvisation over?Thanks again :)

A MIDI input is a connection that enables your keyboard to be controlled by another MIDI equipment (instrument, computer software, etc.). There's a lot about MIDI on the Internet.

Just type "MIDI fundamentals" or something like that in Google and you'll have a lot of infos and long evenings of interesting studies. :)

About the play/record on this thing, I don't know. Maybe it can record and playback what you play on the keys, or maybe it's just one of those rhythmic accompaniments things, not sure. In any case, I suppose you can start some rhythmic stuff and play over it. :wave:

Wow! These keyboards sure are inexpensive. What worries me is that they don't have a brand, and they look to be like toys.

What I would suggest is saving up a little more a bit, and try getting a cheap Yamaha keyboard (Or maybe a Casio). You never know when a keyboard will come in handy, like you could start a band and get someone who plays piano or such to play keyboard for you.

However, whatever works! Good luck.

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

Thanks for the advice Cydonia :) And Skythe,you have a good point :S now I'm a bit worried about this brand. Maybe they are too cheap to be any good(I didn't even post the link to the £25 one)The brand at first seems to be"Acoustic Solutions" but then I can't find anything else on that brand.

Do you guys think its not worth the risk,and I should go for something a bit more reliable like this pretty cheap Yamaha PSR175-K

?

Originally posted by Dan P:

Thanks for the advice Cydonia :) And Skythe,you have a good point :S now I'm a bit worried about this brand. Maybe they are too cheap to be any good(I didn't even post the link to the £25 one)The brand at first seems to be"Acoustic Solutions" but then I can't find anything else on that brand.

Do you guys think its not worth the risk,and I should go for something a bit more reliable like this pretty cheap Yamaha PSR175-K

?

I think it would definitely be worth going for Yamaha over "Acoustic Solutions"... if you can stretch to it then:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5407952.htm

Is probably a better option--it has the Yamaha XG soundset which gives quite a reasonable set of sounds.

I agree with everyone else. Any keyboard, be it by Yamaha or Casio, for under $100. is going to be more toy than instrument. Now saying that I think the Yamaha model that was posted for $ 129. may be more of an actual instrument. I know that a Casio CTK 900 ($200. US dollars) or a CTK 800 ($ 149.00 US dollars) are good sounding boards--the 900 though is significantly better than the 800 as it has the same sound banks as their top of the line WK series.

If you plan to use the board for a long time and possibly use it in a band setting, I would recommend you push your spending limit up to $ 200. Then you may be able to find a keyboard that will serve your needs longer without needing a significant upgrade.

BD

1956 Hammond C3 with Leslie 122, Roland V-Combo, Trek II Preamp, Peavey KB 100, 1976 Natural Maple Rickenbacker 4001S bass

And yes folks, I do gig with a Casio WK 3700...So there!

As you long as your aware you get what you pay for your ok. Some things to consider, if you decide to get anothe rone because you more interested in it or want to use better sounds for a recording, you'll have very little resale value. The choice you have to make is to spend a bit more now or buy this and spend more later.

If your using it to see if you like it, may not be a bad idea however keep in mind than using for anything else like liive settings or recordings is going to extremely limiting. Imagine getting a kids, Fisher Price guitar and deciding to use that as a guitar. Kind of the same things here.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Thanks for all your help guys :) I ended up buying a cheap panasonic second hand one off someone I knew today.I should be ok with a cheap one,because I'm never going to use it live,and I'm firmly stuck on guitar in my band. Just to kill a little boredom really,and possibly get a better understanding of music.So thanks loads for your advice,I really appreciate it :)

By the way,I spoke to someone I know and apparently Acoustic Solutions are a Hi-Fi,speakers etc. company,and have only just started selling keyboards,which should explain if we havent heard of them.

Archived