Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK3 leslie upgrade

strabes

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will not be a software upgrade for the current XK-3. What I have heard is that the next model/version of the XK-3 will have hardware changes that will allow for improvements in the software. I have not heard when there will be a new model - but winter NAMM is coming so maybe/hopefully then. There has also been no word on the possibility of a hardware retro-fit kit to upgrade current XK-3's. But we can hope.

No. What I was told in a reply to an e-mail I sent to Hammond, is that there was a misunderstanding regarding an update to the Leslie sim in the current XK-3. What was meant (by Hammond) was that due to hardware change requirements, the digital Leslie could not be upgraded until the next model/version of the XK-3.

quote by JMcs:

------------------------------

The digital Leslie could not be upgraded until the next model/version of the XK-3.

That really stinks. Buying a "new" instrument helps the mfg., not the player. You fork out $2195.00 and you're stuck with an "old" version that can't be upgraded? That REALLY stinks. Boo Hammond. I'm glad I didn't by one.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

quote by JMcs:

The digital Leslie could not be upgraded until the next model/version of the XK-3.

That really stinks. Buying a "new" instrument helps the mfg., not the player. You fork out $2195.00 and you're stuck with an "old" version that can't be upgraded? That REALLY stinks. Boo Hammond. I'm glad I didn't by one.

Mike T.

At least use the whole quote. What I said was that the Digital Leslie software could not be upgraded because the new software required new hardware (probably actually vice versa). What do you expect manufacturers to do? They designed and built the best instrument they could using state of the art components (The DSP chip and other circuitry etc.) and wrote software that utilizes that hardware to its fullest at a given point in time. Three + years go by and now there is new state of the art hardware (DSP etc.) and better software to go with it. So now they build a new instrument to use it. If the new software cannot run in the old hardware what do you expect them to do? If they can put together a retrofit kit that contains replacement hardware and new software, great, but what if the changes require more than one new printed circuit board etc. The cost of a retrofit kit may wind up costing almost as much as a whole new XK-3 considering economies of scale etc.

Besides, the people who have been waiting/wasting a fair percentage of their lifespan wishing for the price to come down a couple hundred bucks are not going to suddenly run out and buy the new version because it has a new Leslie sim. My guess is that if/when the new version comes out, the "old" version will be available for a lower price while supplies last. It is my understanding that they are making them as fast as they can and selling them just as fast so move fast. If you want the new Leslie sim, you could also buy an XK-1 now. Same great organ tone + the new Leslie sim for what, $700 less. Or wait three years for the price to maybe drop to $1295, oops, new version, how dare they, I was almost going to think about possibly buying one if the price dropped some, now I can't, I'll have to wait for the price on the new one to drop. Maybe someday.

And of course if they didn't come out with a new version, there would be complaints that it has been x years and still no changes. Why not with all this new technology available. They are doing a disservice to their customers by continuing to put out products with old technology - yada yada yada.

;)

JMcs:

I didn't mean to misquote you. Yeah, I hear ya, damned if you do, damned if you don't. It just sits in my crawl when the less expensive clone has a better SIM than the top of the line, and apparently, Hammond doesn't have a decent upgrade path. Retro fits should be inexpensive.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The less expensive clone is also three years newer. Who knows what the next generation of XK-3 will have in it. The original did not have separate C/V because it would have required separate DSP circuitry for both manuals and additional hardware. Maybe now this can be done in a way that is practical (still separate DSP for each manual). I doubt H/S would come out with a new version of XK-3 if the only change is the Leslie Sim. I would bet that the vast majority of the people who listened to an XK-3 played through the 2121 lower unit standing next to a 122XB (or other Leslie) could not tell which the sound was actually coming from as long as the 122XB sped up and slowed down at the right times. Maybe someday Keyboard can set up a test with actual listeners etc.

If NORD can offer free digital upgrades, why not Hammond? Very cheesy. And very cynical. I have an XK3. That will be the last overpriced Hammond Suzuki gear I will ever buy..

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

If NORD can offer free digital upgrades, why not Hammond? Very cheesy. And very cynical. I have an XK3. That will be the last overpriced Hammond Suzuki gear I will ever buy..
I'd concur with this. I'm not an engineer, but I work for a high-tech company that builds and manufactures high-end hardware, and these days it seems inexcusable to build something like the XK-3 without foreseeing the need for at least some level of upgradeability. Remember how the first CX-3s had issues with bouncing keys sounding notes more than once? Without upgradeability, CX-3 users would have been stuck with it. Even my Korg O1/W had a software patch release well over 10 years ago. It would seem to me that an improved Leslie sim would not consume that much more DSP power than whats already there. My suspicion is that someone dropped the ball on this one.

Quote by B3'er

--------------------------

Frankly, to use the XK-3 without a real Leslie is a travesty anyway.

Maybe, but who wants to haul around a Leslie? It's cool if you have a "House" gig, but those are pretty scarce. I hauled around a Hammond and 2 leslies years ago and my back tells me "No can do". There's nothing like "movin' air", until it's time to move the furniture. :(

Mike T.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Quote by B3'er

Frankly, to use the XK-3 without a real Leslie is a travesty anyway.

Maybe, but who wants to haul around a Leslie? It's cool if you have a "House" gig, but those are pretty scarce. I hauled around a Hammond and 2 leslies years ago and my back tells me "No can do". There's nothing like "movin' air", until it's time to move the furniture. :(

Mike T.

I used a 1958 Hammond B3 and a 122 for 10 years on the road. I have a herniated disc in my lower back. So I know what you're saying.

However, moving a Leslie isn't bad. My 122 has casters on it and if I need to go up stairs I use a $70 hand-truck that I got from Home Depot. I can move it by myself and it's relatively painless.

But I know where you're coming from. It all depends on your preference. I can't live without a real Leslie, so that's my choice.

Originally posted by B3-er:

I can't live without a real Leslie, so that's my choice.

Amen brother. I am fortunate enough to have acquired a 142 years ago. It's pretty easy to move around with the aid of a hand truck.

It's a world of a difference between ANY simulated Leslie and the "real deal."

-Bill

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

Archived