Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should have done this years ago...

zeronyne

For probably the 100th time since 1984, I attempted to incorporate patch names into my sequencer/DAW. It was easy in the days of Master Tracks Pro. Most synths then only had 4 banks at the most. I could manually type them in, configure the bank select numbers and that was it until I bought or sold some hardware.

Studio Vision and Galaxy made it both easier and harder (simultaneously) to do the same thing. Early versions of Digital Performer had a few typos in the patch names so that everything in a Proteus 2 after patch 4 was one number off.

Logic, my DAW of choice right now (along with Live) has a relatively complex way to do it, but that's not the issue.

I realized today that I don't use 99.9% of the sounds on my synths. All these arpeggiated and over-effected pads and leads on my Triton Pro X, the proof-of-concept patches in the V Synth, the overused grooves on the XL1, etc. I never bothered to type in the patch names because, subconciously, I didn't care. I also don't use 99% of the factory patches on my effects.

So I wiped them. All of them. I defaulted all the Triton patches to a piano (except for the MOSS bank). I removed all 400 patches I had in the V Synth. My Pod XT Pro and Bass Pod XT pro are patchless. And on and on...

So now, when I need a pad, or anything else, I have to really think about and create it. I still have half a terabyte of samples in case I need something done quickly, but the intent here is to create as I go.

Wish me luck.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I did: searched as many patches as I could and stored them on pc with the synthlibrary patchprogram. Then I checked them out 1 by 1, writing down the names only of those that are really good and could really benefit my productions. After that, repeat the process again. And delete the rest.

Now I have about 5 seperate sysex files (leads, pads, syntheffects, ethnic, strings) and nothing more. Always the right sound for the right job.

Yep, I have accepted the fact that I've spent thousands of dollars on a glorified Rhodes. ;)

Sure, I benefitted in terms of utilizing the various features on synths for music composition.

But, when it is all said and done, I'm content to sit down and play my favorite EP. The other 995 patches might as well be nameless. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived