Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remote Headphone queston

junkcar

Help! I am one of those folks who play much better when the sound of my piano is good, and cannot get in the groove when then sound is bad.

I've wanted to get an in-the-ear remote monitor, but cost has kept that away, plus in-ear headphones give me a headache.

Question: each of my boards (Nord Electro2 61 and Roland 700sx) has a 1/4" headphone out. ART makes an inexpensive product called the Head Tap Passive Headphone Amplifier. It has a volume control.

Can I take 2 cables from the headphone outs, sum them to one with an adaptor, run that to the Headphone Amplifier, then

out to a single over-the-ear headphone?

Will that sound ok?

A Boogie-Woogie Video:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

junkcar,

Buy a low-noise little mixer with a good headphone amp built in.

I'd go with a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro. They cost around $300 new. You can find a used one if that's too much.

Good luck,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

junkcar Question: each of my boards (Nord Electro2 61 and Roland 700sx) has a 1/4" headphone out.
And....

prague Way way too complicated for such a simple setup. Just plug in the headphones to the headphones jack.
Prague, I don't understand your answer... Which keyboard should he plug the headphones into?

I think that he is going to need a headphone amp or other mixer to merge the two head phone outs. Or am I missing something?

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by Phred:

I think that he is going to need a headphone amp or other mixer to merge the two head phone outs. Or am I missing something?

Nope, you're not missing anything. Well, other than the fact that a headphone amp doesn't mix signals; it takes a single stereo line-level signal and distributes it to one or more sets of headphones.

He needs a mixer of some sort to do what he wants... and he won't connect the boards via the headphone outs, but as normal line out connections. :thu:

I think Prague might have missed the fact that the poster seems to want to hear both boards simultaneously.

Originally posted by junkcar:

Can I take 2 cables from the headphone outs, sum them to one with an adaptor, run that to the Headphone Amplifier, then

out to a single over-the-ear headphone?

Will that sound ok?

As a general rule, you can take one gozouta and connect to multiple gozintas, but you can't multiple gozoutas and connect them to a single gozinta. The gozoutas will fight each other, and if one wins, there is sometimes smoke involved. Therefore a mixer is required.

- Bob

Archived