Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Animals know more than they're telling


ITGITC

Recommended Posts

OK, I realize that this is off-topic, but since many of us here love our dogs or cats I had to say something.

 

With Steve Irwin getting killed by a stingray, people said it was unusual - a one in a million thing, right?

 

Now here's a story about a stingray that hopped into a fisherman's boat and stabbed him. The man, 81 years old, is fighting for his life. :eek:

 

CLONK HERE FOR STORY

 

Just yesterday there was a story about a dog who saved a disabled woman from a burning building. The dog even went back in to save the cat, but died during the rescue. :eek:

 

CLONK HERE

 

I've always thought dogs and cats knew more than they were telling, but this is really unusual.

 

Or is it? :freak:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not unusual at all. If I were an animal, I wouldn't tell humans sh*t either. They are too arrogant. Let 'em stay ignorant. :D:):cool:

PD

 

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, so I had heard that there were occassions where dogs had detected cancer in humans. However, I didn't know that there are 20 documented instances of this. :eek:

 

CLONK HERE

 

And what about the animals who knew the December 26, 2004 southeast Asia tsunami was headed their way and started running to safety?

 

STORY HERE

 

 

What's my point, you ask?

 

I guess my point is that I find these stories pretty damn incredible. There is a lot we can learn from this if we just figure out how to listen.

 

And while I'm off topic (I apologize)...

 

I think everyone here on the forum will agree that one of the qualities that makes a good musician great is his or her ability to listen.

 

The art and skill involved with listening involves quite a bit of practice. Very few people I know are perfect listeners, though some listen better than others.

 

One thing I've learned on the forum is that not only is it beneficial to listen to what you guys have to say, but to listen with empathy.

 

(Empathy 1.the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another. )

 

So here's what I wanted to say yesterday, but didn't...

 

I think we all need to remember that forum communication brings a lot of benefits. But it also is limited - you can't see the other person's facial expressions or hand gestures. This makes things pretty limited - and also allows us to easily misconstrue the meaning of the message.

 

Try to keep this in mind: If you were sitting across the table from one of the many forumites who post here enjoying your favorite beverage - it could be beer, wine, or a Coke, you could see their face and their hands and their body language. Most of what sounds like a mean-spirited tone turns out to be not quite as hard-edged as what you imagine when you read it here on the forum.

 

Agreed?

 

So, when you start thinking that someone just said something negative and it was aimed specifically at you, take a step back, picture yourself sitting across the table from that person, and give him the benefit of the doubt.

 

I'm not saying that we shouldn't disagree.

 

I'm saying that the medium is working against us because we can't see facial and hand gestures.

 

The world has enough crap going on in it that we can't do a damn thing about. But we can do something about trying to remember that we're all brothers and sisters in music here.

 

I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

 

Sorry for the off-topic post.

 

You guys, and ladies, are the best.

 

Thanks, :)

 

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I caught my black lab practicing his sad dog look in the mirror once. I watched in amazed silence for about a minute, until I just couldn't hold the laughter. He was totally embarassed that he got bagged. I laughed at him often for the rest of the day. He knew why, and it pissed him off. He was a masterful manipulator of humans. I was hip to his shit and still, he had me pretty well trained.
--wmp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Say Tom, why not start a new topic just with that bit about empathy? I think it is really good, maybe we should add it to a forum etiquette FAQ somewhere.

 

English is a bad enough form of communication without the lack facial expressions and hand gestures. I am surprised we often understand each other at all! Giving each other the benefit of the doubt nips would be contention before it gets started. I dont think anybody comes to KC aching to have a few teeth knocked out. Were here to talk music, gear, and enjoy a few good laughs.

 

So as to stay on-topic, we have a little terror of a purebred chiwawa. He ended up at our house when the neighbors moved away. Well he developed some serious issues and is the most misbehaved dog you can imagine. Granted he has improved, but still has a long way to go.

A guitar player friend of ours was over for a small jam and Mom had set some left over pork chops on our low glass table for people to snack on. He saw this little dog get up on his hind legs, actually look around the room to make sure nobody was watching him, and take a pork chop off the plate. He thought it was the funniest thing and started cracking up.

GIGO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

With Steve Irwin getting killed by a stingray, people said it was unusual - a one in a million thing, right?

 

Now here's a story about a stingray that hopped into a fisherman's boat and stabbed him. The man, 81 years old, is fighting for his life. :eek:

 

Just yesterday there was a story about a dog who saved a disabled woman from a burning building. The dog even went back in to save the cat, but died during the rescue. :eek:

 

I've always thought dogs and cats knew more than they were telling, but this is really unusual.

 

Or is it? :freak:

are you trying to say that animals are better then people?

You're right, they don't know what envy is, they don't kill for pleasure, they dont lie, they don't curse, although last time I talked to my rat he was calling me names asking me not to play piano any more in his room :D

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

And what about the animals who knew the December 26, 2004 southeast Asia tsunami was headed their way and started running to safety?

Of course. Animals feel natural disasters in advance. One minute before the scary earthquake we had in Québec in 1988, I was having a drink with a neighbor, and her cat suddenly went crazy and hid under her bed... :freak: We only understood later.

 

I love animals. I feed the polar bear couple that live nearby the house. So in return, once fed up, they relax around my car. That's the best alarm system one can have. :) They also take care of occasional door-to-door salesman or peddler. ;)

 

http://membre.megaquebec.net/skriabin/NB.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Cydonia:

I love animals. I feed the polar bear couple that live nearby the house. So in return, once fed up, they relax around my car. That's the best alarm system one can have. :) They also take care of occasional door-to-door salesman or peddler. ;)

 

http://membre.megaquebec.net/skriabin/NB.jpg

Cydonia, you made me curious... what kind of food do you use? :confused:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Originally posted by Cydonia:

I love animals. I feed the polar bear couple that live nearby the house. So in return, once fed up, they relax around my car. That's the best alarm system one can have. :) They also take care of occasional door-to-door salesman or peddler. ;)

 

http://membre.megaquebec.net/skriabin/NB.jpg

Cydonia, you made me curious... what kind of food do you use? :confused:
Phish I would imagine. :P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

they don't kill for pleasure
Yeah they do. Some do, anyway. That's one market we don't have a corner on.

 

Any time you try to pin down one thing that separates humans from animals, someone comes up with a counterexample. But animals can rarely match us for sheer idiocy. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dreamer, I wouldn't think you'd get too many door-to-door salesmen on a day like that anyway. But there are times I'd like those fuzzy friends just for the Jehova's Witnesses.

 

I think there must be a mark on my door, that says "Heathen inside -- GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK!" Probably in some kind of magic writing that only saved folks can see. I confess it was worse back when I lived right across the freeway from the Kingdom Hall, and our house seemed like the best target after walking through the viaduct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by learjeff:

they don't kill for pleasure
Yeah they do. Some do, anyway.
which does??? only when they are cornered, hungry, defending themselves or sick/mad as far as I can

recall.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

OK, so I had heard that there were occassions where dogs had detected cancer in humans. However, I didn't know that there are 20 documented instances of this. :eek:

 

CLONK HERE

 

And what about the animals who knew the December 26, 2004 southeast Asia tsunami was headed their way and started running to safety?

 

STORY HERE

 

 

What's my point, you ask?

 

I guess my point is that I find these stories pretty damn incredible. There is a lot we can learn from this if we just figure out how to listen.

 

And while I'm off topic (I apologize)...

 

I think everyone here on the forum will agree that one of the qualities that makes a good musician great is his or her ability to listen.

 

The art and skill involved with listening involves quite a bit of practice. Very few people I know are perfect listeners, though some listen better than others.

 

One thing I've learned on the forum is that not only is it beneficial to listen to what you guys have to say, but to listen with empathy.

 

(Empathy 1.the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another. )

 

So here's what I wanted to say yesterday, but didn't...

 

I think we all need to remember that forum communication brings a lot of benefits. But it also is limited - you can't see the other person's facial expressions or hand gestures. This makes things pretty limited - and also allows us to easily misconstrue the meaning of the message.

 

Try to keep this in mind: If you were sitting across the table from one of the many forumites who post here enjoying your favorite beverage - it could be beer, wine, or a Coke, you could see their face and their hands and their body language. Most of what sounds like a mean-spirited tone turns out to be not quite as hard-edged as what you imagine when you read it here on the forum.

 

Agreed?

 

So, when you start thinking that someone just said something negative and it was aimed specifically at you, take a step back, picture yourself sitting across the table from that person, and give him the benefit of the doubt.

 

I'm not saying that we shouldn't disagree.

 

I'm saying that the medium is working against us because we can't see facial and hand gestures.

 

The world has enough crap going on in it that we can't do a damn thing about. But we can do something about trying to remember that we're all brothers and sisters in music here.

 

I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

 

Sorry for the off-topic post.

 

You guys, and ladies, are the best.

 

Thanks, :)

 

Tom

Tom

 

Your sure have a Peaceful Easy Feeling going on here. Can I have some of those meds? I'll jump on the Love Train too. I think you are correct and insightful and not a sightful like a Fat Man In The Bath Tub.

 

Did I sleep with the sheep last night?

Jimmy

 

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by BluesKeys:

Tom

 

Your sure have a Peaceful Easy Feeling going on here. Can I have some of those meds? I'll jump on the Love Train too. I think you are correct and insightful and not a sightful like a Fat Man In The Bath Tub.

 

Did I sleep with the sheep last night?

:D Jimmy, wait a minute - I can't stop laughing... :P

 

OK, I'm OK... I'm over it. Don't worry about me.

 

First - to all... my apologies for being off-topic here with the animal thing. I thought it was kinda interesting, but this IS a keyboard forum. Sorry.

 

About the meds - Ain't modern medicine great? Yeah - group hug. Pretty sappy, huh?

 

In all seriousness I just think the medium works against us.

 

Every time I've met a forumite in person, they turn out to be great guys. I think that most of the guys (and ladies) here can attest that meeting people with whom you've talked on this forum is a lot of fun - much better than you could have predicted.

 

So yeah - it could be a state of mind with me. But I realize the value in what each of you bring to the table. And when I say "Let's have a beer", I mean it. I know that I'd really enjoy meeting most everyone I've talked with here.

 

As DF sings "Sue me if I play too long".

 

I'll stop.

 

And Jimmy... Stay away from the sheep. It's a JOKE, man. Really. ;)

 

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by learjeff:

Dreamer, I wouldn't think you'd get too many door-to-door salesmen on a day like that anyway. But there are times I'd like those fuzzy friends just for the Jehova's Witnesses.

 

I think there must be a mark on my door, that says "Heathen inside -- GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK!" Probably in some kind of magic writing that only saved folks can see. I confess it was worse back when I lived right across the freeway from the Kingdom Hall, and our house seemed like the best target after walking through the viaduct.

Comedian George Wallace told a story that his father was a Baptist preacher. He would invite the Jehova's Witnesses in for a Biblical Ass Whippin'.

 

If they come to my door, I'll sic my dogs on them. They might actually lick them to death. :D The puppy looks mean, but he's a lover dog.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

 

Now everybody's got the blues."

 

Willie Dixon

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a regular vist to a sax playing friend of mine. Played a few tunes and drunk a few beers.

 

He'd cooked up some food and we sat down to eat at the table. His dog kept pestering us for food so eventually fed up my friend says "go to bed" ( to the dog that is!!!) to which the dog gets up and walks away.....only to come back moments later with his bed (a padded blanket thingy) in his mouth which he then places down next to the table, sits in it and carries on with his pestering!! What can you say to that!! - he must have been a sheep in a previous life ;) (the dog, not my friend).

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...