Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool YouTube Videos

cnegrad

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dementedchord:

another oddity any one notice one of the tags for WR was guitar???

Maybe for bass guitar? (Even though the two words are separated...I'm grasping at straws here)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

What a great bunch of musicians on display!!! Zawinul's great to watch. I have a chance to go see him with his latest band The Syndicate in a couple of weeks in LA... I think I might go to that one... Could be interesting.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Ok, ya'll know I HAD to jump in right?!

This one ain't as musically relavant as those others, but it does fall into the thread title as cool!

James Live - Pappa Don\'t Take No Mess

Here's a fav of mine..your's too! ;)

Sheila E on the tubs @ Latin Jam

Since I brought her up, here's a fav..

A Love Bizarre jam(circa 1986)

Finally, and more seriously, the not quite as pretty & fem as Sheila, but wickedly talented Meshell!! (such a beautiful listen..)

With the incredible Fred Pena on keys! *keys solo @ 16:35*

...more here & here. (Sessions at West 54th-Powerful!!)

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Finally, and more seriously, the not quite as pretty & fem as Sheila, but wickedly talented Meshell!! (such a beautiful listen..)

With the incredible Fred Pena on keys! *keys solo @ 16:35*

...more here & here. (Sessions at West 54th-Powerful!!)

Man, if i could play in a band that sounded like that I could die happy.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Ok, ya'll know I HAD to jump in right?!

This one ain't as musically relavant as those others, but it does fall into the thread title as cool!

James Live - Pappa Don\'t Take No Mess

Talking of James Brown there are some great videos of Clyde Stubblefield, the dummer of the famous "Funky Drummer" loop/breakbeat (that all the music-by-collage sampling guys ripped off.)

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Jaboandclyde.html

(Funky drummer break: http://www.synthmania.com/Audio%20Files/Famous%20Sounds/Funky%20Drummer.mp3 )

Thanks cnegrad for the Weather Report clip. :thu:

Mecca, what you know 'bout my homies i.e. MeShell, Fred and Dave? ;):thu:

When Fred is in the keyboard department of the local music store, everyone stops playing. :eek:

But, he is one of the most humble cats you will ever meet. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by cnegrad:

He sounds great; what else has he played on?

He has played on records/tours with Maxwell, Angela Bofill, Jean Carne and Pieces of a Dream to name a very few.

When he is not on the road, his jazz fusion group will play clubs around DC or he sits in with others.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What's the name of his fusion group? Maybe they've got a cd I can pick up.

They just do pick up gigs. He is a player moreso than a recording artist.

Whenever we talk, I ask him about making a solo record and it's, yeah, I'll get around to it one day. :(

So for now, you will only hear him on somebody else's record or a gig.

PD

Too bad; our loss...

I accept the fact that there will always be good players who choose not to record their own stuff for one reason or another.

Some cats just love to play--period. Nothing wrong with that.

But, if I can convince him to go into the studio, I'll let you know. :cool:

PD

Originally posted by ProfD:

Mecca, what you know 'bout my homies i.e. MeShell, Fred and Dave? ;):thu:

Well, a long time ago Fred played on a couple sessions for an artist I was producing. He was a good friend of this young lady and promised her he'd come check out a session. One day Fred dropped in, dug our vibe, and played the entire session....for free! Really blessed those tracks too! :D

Prior to that, I was a fan of his, when he was playing with The Marshall Keys quintet @ Takoma Station.

Meshell, I don't know personally, but I'd met through Mike Hughes from AMFM during my Go-Go era. :cool: She was a monster bassist then too of course, and had all the DC bassmen scared to death... All but Funky Ned of course, as he was the one who'd taught her those skills in the 1st place. ;)

TROLL . . . ish.

Meshell, I don't know personally, but I'd met through Mike Hughes from AMFM during my Go-Go era. :cool: She was a monster bassist then too of course, and had all the DC bassmen scared to death... All but Funky Ned of course, as he was the one who'd taught her those skills in the 1st place. ;)

Meshell's from Metro DC? :cool:

Originally posted by dp2:

Meshell's from Metro DC? :cool:
She was raised in Oxon Hill, MD which is basically a suburb of DC.

But, she spent many nights playing in the city prior to breaking out and moving to NY.

PD

I don't know about Zawinul's 'reversed' keyboard. Could it be that the lens of the overhead camera was reversed or something, as in this Billy Joel video ?

Oops, on second look, that middle board of Zawinul's does indeed look reversed, because his bottom board playing seems conventional. ;)

Wait ... but at about 7min, that same middle board responds conventionally again?! :freak: Somebody please explain this to li'l ol' me.

Archived