Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Now I'm "too hip"

Tony Bennett

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Nice one Tom. :thu:

Do you think old Blue Eyes could have really penned a verse like that? There is no scoobie-doobie-doo in it.

Steve,

Walter had you in mind when he said the quote that's in my sig line.

I am certain of this. :thu:

Ummmmmmmm, scoobiedoobiedoo. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I'll ever be accused of being too hip. I used to refer to certain bands incorrectly and my students let me have it. Some of my noteables include:

Snoopy Dog

Backyard Boys

Men To Boyz

Busy Bee - Instead of Easy E

PumbaStinks

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

" here ,there and everywhere...its hip...hip...hip to be square"

Okay you guys took all the TOP refrence material. I had to go with Huey .

TB ,I would take it as a compliment ,no matter how he intended it. Lets face it if your nearing 50 and someone says your Hip , you must be doing something right . I've been waiting for the time when frumpiness and thinning hair become hip. :D

In all seriousness, It sounds like he thought you were just to polished and he thinks his crowd can't handle it. What a shame. I guess he likes the Ike and Tina versions " we don't do anything nice and easy ,we like it rough" of course in his case it sounds like really rough :rolleyes:

The real trouble is is that Hip/Cool/ and Groovy has been replaced by Trendoid!

TRENDOID! Rhymes with ANDROID!

and everything has just become too

ANDROID-GA-NESS for my taste. . . .

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Originally posted by Legatoboy:

According to Tristanoites, Miles couldn't cut alot of Birds Be-Bop lines. So he invented fusion! Just one vectors idea not necessarily mine, just alittle consciecness raising....

don't shoot the messenger!

lb

Actually, Miles could and did play them--just not the first or second time around. Dizzy was quoted stating that he thought Miles didn't cut it for Bop. However, Miles did tour with Dizzy for a while, before he branched off and started his school of Cool Jazz.

Dp2,

Wow, you know I learn more every day here!

I was drawing on the 'Donna Lee Line Controversey' alittle here also. You know did Bird actually write it for Miles. Was it really Miles's line...!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I was hip once. That was for the 15 minutes when it was hip to be square. Unfortunately there were no potentially doting beauties nearby, so I was unable to take advantage of the situation.

Plus I think I'd have needed more than 15 minutes.

Well, maybe not.

;)

Originally posted by learjeff:

I was hip once. That was for the 15 minutes when it was hip to be square. Unfortunately there were no potentially doting beauties nearby, so I was unable to take advantage of the situation.

Plus I think I'd have needed more than 15 minutes.

Well, maybe not.

;)

You weren't hip; you still are pretty cool with us. :D

If you're going to be a square, then shoot for being a cube with different, neon colors on each of your sides. :idea::love::cool:

Two little known but hip facts:

This one I just heard on KCR:

1.) Who coined the use of the word "Cool":

Supposedly: Lester Young I heard this on the Pre Bird Birthday Brodcast on one of the segments!

2.) Who coined the word "Corny"

I read this I believe. I was supposedly Bix Beiderbecke. When he went back out to the country and heard a country band playing he'd say "Those guys sound Corn-Feed" and this eveloved into "Corny" as we know it today!

legato

correction :

Prez/Bird Birthday Brodcast on one of the segments!

Not

Pre Bird Birthday Brodcast on one of the segments!

Hearing Prez and Bird together is great!

I have a tape with them playing together at one of the JCAP concerts with Roy Eldridge and other great players. Their version of "Embraceable You" is beautiful!

To my way of thinking, the best an artist can shoot for is to play at a level of quality where people want to listen to you years later, even if the "hip" style of that day is now passe.

Like people still listen to Bill Evans and Tatum and many others, even if they're not trying to play in that style!

Archived