Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Chair-Streisand Tour

ProfD

Just read that Barbra Streisand's concert broke the single event record at the Verizon Center here in DC.

Tickets cost between $100-$750 and the place was sold out. Someone even paid as much as $50k (chance to meet her).

How great would it be to have that keyboard chair/MD role?

The catch is, this is her first tour in 12 years.

Guess that is why they settle for a 55 piece orchestra. Nice work if you can get it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times can someone give a fairwell concert?

I never had a thing for Streisand, but what do I know, I thought Sony Betamax was a good idea.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

....but what do I know, I thought Sony Betamax was a good idea.

LOL.

Is she still doing the G.W. Bush schtick? Doesn't sound like it goes over too well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0610110055oct11,1,872605.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

Frankly, I've always been baffled as to why anyone pays any attention at all to the political views of celebrities. The worst example was Meryl Streep testifying before Congress in the overblown Alar apple scare. (She has a PhD in biochemistry- whooda thunk?) Or when some actress testified about the crisis on the familiy farm on the strength of her experience playing a farm wife in a movie. Oh well, I guess if you're a fat, balding, middle-aged Congressman and can get hot-looking actresses to come hang out, go for it.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Originally posted by misterdregs:

Frankly, I've always been baffled as to why anyone pays any attention at all to the political views of celebrities.

:thu: Some people even think that the purpose of art is to deliver political messages! I can't think of anything more ridiculous, music should stand on its own.

Originally posted by daviel:

I think most people who go see her now expect that BS to go along with their $150-$750 ticket. It's frightening to think the music is just incidental - and that's the singer!

These ticket prices really show how large-scale concerts are just one big cash-cow. (Might as well watch them on DVD on a good home theatre in any case?)

But with songs written by the likes of Burt Bacharach, and an orchestra, not to mention a competent lead vocalist, seems that the music is fairly central?

Incidentally, Burt Bacharach unfortunately went into political commentary mode on his last album.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

but what do I know, I thought Sony Betamax was a good idea.

technically it was the better system.... from the FWIW dept... sony invented both systems... yep... the problem being that after selling the rights to JVC they had production problems which then gave the VHS a big jump in early adoption... always wondered who got fired over that one????
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by dementedchord:

from the FWIW dept... sony invented both systems... yep... the problem being that after selling the rights to JVC

Oh...?
And Beta lived on for decades as the heart of TV videotape tech.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by soundscape:

Yep... in the form of Betacam.

Followed by Betacam SP and now DigiBeta

The real problem with the Betamax was that being a better product, they cost more to make and buy.

You can't expect consumers to care about quality who don't mind cramming six hours of material on a format meant for two hours just to save a couple of bucks.

Hating to change the subject, but if anyone is still interested, I heard that Randy Waldman is at least one of the piano players on the Streisand tour. I'm sure he's not the only one on keys, though.

I think William Ross is the MD.

Barbara gets the big guns.

Larry.

Originally posted by iLaw:

Hating to change the subject, but if anyone is still interested, I heard that Randy Waldman is at least one of the piano players on the Streisand tour. I'm sure he's not the only one on keys, though.

I think William Ross is the MD.

Barbara gets the big guns.

Larry.

Never heard of them, but would like to now. Who are Randy and William? :)

Archived