Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(OT) Do you do video?

Tusker

Do you do anything with video?

I've been thinking of doing some video work on the computer. Basically burning dvd's, creating media files for distribution on the internet, etc.

I am thinking of it more as a photojournalist/have camera will travel/candid camera sort of low gloss thing. A laptop would be great.

What sort of computer would I need to do this simply? And what sort of software? What camera? What hardware interface? I don't want to spend years in a learning curve. If I could get an audio and video laptop in one, that would be a bonus of course.

I use PC's and I have Pro Tools LE. Will one of the new macs be easier to use than an equivalent PC laptop? Any secondary information sources I should go to? A community?

Any of you guys doing this sort of thing? Thanks in advance,

Jerry

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually use a video camera to shoot videos, edit them and sometimes put music to them. There a decent amount of software you can use and alot of it depends on what your going to do.

Here's a list of different software titles you can check out.

MovieDV

Pinnacle Studio Version

PowerDirector

ShowBiz

Ulead VideoStudio

video deLuxe

VideoFactory

VideoWave

WinProducer

Adobe Premiere

Ulead Media Studio Pro

As for a camera I would suggest:

Sony DCR-VX2100 3CCD MiniDV

Panasonic Pro AG-DVC60 3CCD MiniDV

Both are pricey but are very good cameras.

For computer you will need something similar to a high end gaming machine. Fast procesor, very big hard drive for storage, get the best video card you can, and of course a decent sound card.

You may want to do a search on videography to see if you can find a forum or information beneficial to you. Hope my info helps a little and good luck to you.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I do small stuff, like movies and photos of the grandkids and make movies and add music. They look great, if I do say so myself and I just use the software that came on my G5. Nothing extra. I might kick it up and get final cut pro 5, one of these days. To answer your question...everything is easier/better on a mac, IMO. I'm not throwin' rocks here. I've got a couple of each. I wanna get a macbook pro and Aperture for my photo monkey. I bought a canon 5d a couple months ago and I'm jonesin' again.

I'm a professional cameraman and until recently I've never been tempted to own a video camera. I think the Panasonic DV100 and Final Cut Pro are the way to go if you're moderately serious. I'm a PC user but step up to the Mac for video (and it probably wouldn't hurt for your Pro Tools either)
Mississippi Slim

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll check out the hardware and software you mentioned. I am excited about going mac again. I used to have a powerbook.

So, will I need a MacbookPro or will a Macbook do the trick? They both look low on RAM. Do you just buy extra RAM and pop it in like a PC?

I imagine a macbook would do audio, but I imagine video is considerably bigger. I am not trying assemble movies. More like 5-7 minute clips.

Good point on finding a community. I'll look around. Thanks again,

Jerry

Archived