Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weather Report - Forecast Tomorrow

Phil W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Cnegrad, me neither. I was just surspised that so few had seen/heard the CDs/DVD yet. I really disliked the remixed version of 125th Street Congress but enjoy the reat of the CD (well I'm a bit biased when it comes to WR), although some selections/omissions are unusual (but they would be anyway).

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the later tracks with Bailey/Hakim for the first time, following a while since I last listened to them and after so many guys on this forum selected them as their faves.

It took me a while to get to watch the DVD (time and competition in my family for access to the player), but it was woorth the wait - agreta experience.

Phil,

I was just surspised that so few had seen/heard the CDs/DVD yet.
I wasn't aware of any advertizing about the CD. The only way I even knew about it was from a link at Amazon that said, "People who bought this CD also bought...."

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the later tracks with Bailey/Hakim for the first time, following a while since I last listened to them and after so many guys on this forum selected them as their faves.
The interesting thing about this cd is that different artists seem to "latch on" to a single particular aspect or component of what makes WR great. As I listen to the relative failures and successes of each cut, it really makes me re-analyze why WR is so special. IMHO, recreating that magic is no easy feat, as it turns out.

cnegrad, that so explains it.

Yes it's the September 28, 1978 Offenbach concert

Chapter Listing (DVD):

Black Market / Scarlet Woman / Young and Fine / The Pursuit of the Woman With the Feathered Hat / A Remark You Made / River People / Thanks For The Memories ~ Delores / Portrait of Tracy ~ Third Stone From the Sun / Mr Gone / In a Silent Way / Waterfall / Teen Town / I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good ~ The Midnight Sun Will Never Set On You / Birdland / Introductions / Fred & Jack / Elegant People / Badia.

Sound was very good when I played the DVD through my hi-fi. It didn't sound like mono.

• 2 weeks later...

DVD contains a well known concert which I already had as audio material. But to see it is great nonetheless!

I bought the whole package for the DVD, to be frank. Wasn't that expensive (EUR 30 for the whole thing), which I would have spent to obtain the sole DVD anyway.

Great to see those guys alive. Grooves sometimes attack harder when seen. That is the case with Peter Erskine. Great to see Zawinul twiddle his synths and Fender Rhodes, as well as some very nice acoustic piano work.

And "A Remark You Make" remains a great ballad!

Originally posted by Phil W:

"Also is the DVD in stereo?"

Orangefunk, you know - listening to it through cans I can't hear any stereo separation really - though the sound is great.

Yeah its a real pity they chose this one to release over the others that they have. Its been shown countless times on German TV over the years.

I would have much preferred a compilation type of DVD showing the progression from the 70s-80s. I have some great video of them in 1971 (b/w with Mouzon, Vitous, Surman etc), 1972 (colour with Mouzon/Vitous), 1975 (off French TV I think and sounding really fabulous musically if not sonically) and 1976 (the infamous Montreux concert) which to me sounds superior to the 1978 stuff.

My favourite period is the early to mid 70s so my taste is a little different to some. By 1978 they had started to sound a bit too smooth for me.

Nice DVD indeed, although I much prefer the Acuna-Badrena percussive machine to Erskine, more colorful and, at least for the Jaco featuring music, some latin percussion is really important. I found Erskine alone a bit boring and dinamically static, even if his technique is great, and this is reflected on the overall performance of the band that is always a bit "worried", mental, nervous....it's like the never changing flatness of the drum sound (not the performance but the sounds) doesn't allow the other musicians to play with spaces and depths, everything has to be filled somehow...

The Teen Town version you can find on YouTube with Acuna and Badrena is so much better...

Where Erskine shines i.m.o. is on Mr.Gone, there he is probably unbeatable, his pulsating steadiness is perfect for modern jazz.

Anyway this is a matter of taste, performances are stellar, as expected.

:)

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Hey everyone,

What Zawinul performance from a Weather Report recording would you most like to see transcribed in Keyboard?

Can be live or studio. Feel free to list multiples, and rank them if you want.

Thanks!

Ernie

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

Originally posted by cnegrad:

How about the melody and chords to "Young And Fine"? I'd be curious to see Joe's unique voicings transcribed...

Young And Fine is included in The World's Greatest Fake Book (Chuck Sher). Apart from the melody and chords, some of the synth voicings are included as well.

My requests (in order of urgency or uncanned desire :D ) would be...

- Where The Moon Goes (closing section, voicings, melody, chords), preferably the live version on "Live & Unreleased"

- Between The Thighs (Tale Spinnin'), for Rhodes comping and the rest. Funky track!

- Volcano For Hire (from 1982 "WR" album)

- Cucumber Slumber (exact synth voicings)

- Nubian Sundance would be cool as well

- Blackthorn Rose

- Orange Lady (beautiful song)

- Black Market live version (synth voicings of Oberheim part, ARP solo on Offenback 1978 concert or on the 8:30 album)

- Birdland (for synth voicings on "chorus", melody and chords can be found in the aforementioned Fake Book as well)

Archived