Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Baba O'riley - Yamaha MO8

wpking0

I've been a guitar player for a LONG time, and have just bought the Yamaha MO8. I play in a cover band, and the guys want to play Baba O'riley. Any tips on how to come up with the intro part on the MO8. I'm sure I could do it, but it will probably take me weeks, as i am a little slow with this thing (i'm a Luddite by nature).

any tips would be appreciated.

Also - i'm experiencing a little buyers remorse. I had debated on whether to purchase the older Motif 8 (non-ES) off of Ebay (they seem to be going for between $1000-$1800), but just went ahead and bought the MO8. Think i made a good decision? I know of the differences between the two...but not being a keyboard player, i figured i wouldn't need the extra polyphony the Motif offers, nor would i need the sampler.

Just looking for validation.

Thanks fellas,

Will

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MO has the same polyphony i.e. "64" as the original Motif (actually two notes more than the original Motif). The Motif "ES" has 128 note polyphony.

NOTE: Yamaha has the MO listed as having a 'maximum' polyphony of 124 on their web site which is incorrect. It only has 64 note polyphony and there is no expandability with PLG cards so I don't see how it could have a 'maximum' of 124 note polyphony. Unless you buy two MO's maybe. :D Yammie should fix that error on their web site ASAP. Unless they can explain to the public that it does somehow have a 'maximum' of 124 polyphony. If they mean it has 64 for the keys and 60?? for the Sequencer block they should state it as such in my opinion. They shouldn't try to mislead the public even if it's done unintentionally.

Back to the MO. The MO is a good instrument, having the same sounds as the Motif ES. It is basically a stripped down version of the ES. There is NO Aftertouch on the MO only Velocity touch, No Sampler as you stated, no expandability with PLG cards, not as many Block effects, etc. The price is right though. But I can't really understand why a person wouldn't want to spend the extra dough to get the whole enchilada and get an ES. Down the road a person just might eventually want to use the Sampler and to be able to have access to the other goodies on the ES that aren't found on the MO e.g. Aftertouch, etc..

My 2¢

Mike

Don't know the song itself, only the classic synth sound(s) that seem(s) to be connected with it. If those are the sounds of the intro, then your target is in reach.

They show up in several synths (like the Ion). For the Motif, the Vintage Keys voice library by Dave Polich (correctly spelled?) has that Baba O'Riley patch as a voice. It can be purchased at www.motifator.com (I'm not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer).

Good luck.

For a mere $35 or so, you can buy Dave Polich's "Vintage Keys" voice library for the Mo/Motif/ES series. This will not only give you the intro to "Baba o'Riley", but will also treat you to the "Won't Get Fooled Again" arp, the "Frankenstein" sound, "Karn Evil 9", many other song-specific sounds from the 70's, and a whole slew of excellent Rhodes/Wurlitzer/Clavinet/Moog/ARP/Mellotron sounds (along with a theremin, solina, and other classic keys).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Consider this another plug for Dave Polich's "Vintage Keys" library (also available at sninety.com). Not only do you get a replica Baba O'Riley voice (and a bunch of other great vintage synth sounds), but DP goes the extra mile and provides a manual with the voice library that actually tells you how to play the frickin' song!

Good luck.

Noah

Archived