Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you let the band die?

stepay

Originally posted by learjeff:

Sure, it's not as easy for a keyboardist to sub as it is for a drummer.
Sorry, Tom, I disagree! Most bands are guitar-centered enough that a keyboard player can easily sit in and lay back when a change is coming up. But the drummer has to know every change and telegraph them to the rest of the band. If the drummer doesn't have all the arrangements down pat, it's very hard for the band to be any good.

You can't disagree with me. :mad: I won't allow it.

Besides, I'm too tired to argue the point now.

Isn't it your turn to buy the brewskies? :P I can debate much better over a beer or ten.

That way you can have the time you need to get your facts straight. ;)

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RABid:

The difference between one a month and twice a month for a band is minimal. It is hard to dial in a small number that exact with a fluxuating market.

Robert

Robert,

Normally I would agree with you, but we're lucky enough (or maybe talented enough) to have played in some very good places in town (and some not so good places) that we have standing invitations to fill up to 5-6 times a month every month if we wanted (just need to book those out 3-4 months though which has been a problem). Some of those places are ones that we'd rather not go back to play, so we haven't. Everyone wants to go after JUST the best clubs in town (and not second tier), but we haven't been able to get the demos done.

Well, I just got word from the guitar player that the demos would be done this weekend, and he has decided he wants to continue as does the drummer. I hope our bass player wants to continue also, but as good as he is, quite frankly he's the easiest one to replace.

Looks like we're going to try to press on after December. Need some new songs. I don't want to play Stevie Ray Vaughan's Close To You ever again.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

Looks like we're going to try to press on after December. Need some new songs. I don't want to play Stevie Ray Vaughan's Close To You ever again.

Just wondering, why not? And isn't actually a Muddy Waters tune? I'm pretty sure it is.

Glad it seems that everyone is on board. Communicating is good, you just may need to keep it up.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Originally posted by Joe Muscara:

Just wondering, why not? And isn't actually a Muddy Waters tune? I'm pretty sure it is.

Glad it seems that everyone is on board. Communicating is good, you just may need to keep it up.

Yes, it is a Muddy Waters song, and we play a Stevie Ray Vaughan version of it. It's an ok song, but I've played it since I joined this band in Feb. 2005 (one of the few we've played the whole time) and I'm just tired of it. One of the more boring songs we play (perhaps a reflection of how WE play it than the song, but I think the song gets lots of the blame).

I like some of those older blues songs; the origials and the remakes, but I've grown partial to more current stuff (Keb Mo, Anthony Gomes, Walter Trout, Joe Bonamassa), and also a fan of incorporating some of the great classic rock that's out there -- Riders On The Storm, White Room, Eminence Front.

Just tired of Close To You, that's all.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

Originally posted by dp2:

[qb] and show up on-time whenever called in a pinch.

That's one of the most important skills there is.

I agree with this completely.

I am also a member of bands and I also do a lot of freelance playing.

Some of these gigs I do where most of the band are "guns-for-hire" drive me crazy when guys show up 15 minutes before the gig, try to set-up, sound-check and get a beer before the downbeat. The usual result is that the entire first set IS the sound check.

One young drummer in particular (who is a fabulous player and gets a lot of calls) seems to make it into a game where he sees how close he can cut it and still make the downbeat. All of these guys are one traffic light away from making the whole band start late.

He did this last night on a pick-up gig. We were sitting at the bar on the first break and I told him that no matter how good your chops are, you are damaging your reputation with this bullshit and the calls will stop coming eventually. He laughed, bummed another smoke and said "the calls haven't stopped yet."

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Just tired of Close To You, that's all.

OK. I know what you're saying. Some songs my band does are getting kinda old too. It is probably just us, stuck in a rut with that tune. If we made it more our own, I'm sure I'd like it again.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived