Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD700sx issue

elf

hi all!

so, it bothers me a bit, that my roland has "only" 4 zones,

and i was messing with it a bit, and found, that it has 12 possible "parts", so if anyone out here has rd700sx, maybe he can help me...

so, if you dont know what exactly am i talking about, do the following procedure...

select any tone, then press "tone info" (the left button, under the screen), and then press inc for min 4 times...youll see it passes through the first 4 zones, that can be selected via the zone selection buttons, but after that, you go through 5-12 other, that cant be selected(i cant :P ), and the manual says nothing about it...

thats what bothers me...it seems like this keyboard could be split to 12 times...not 4

or, maybe this is for somethin else?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RD700SX has four internal zones and four separate external zones. This is an advantage over many other keyboards that have four internal/external zones.

Zones are used to describe the ability to split and layer the keyboard. With the RD700SX you can do the splitting and layering using four zones. These use, by default, parts 1-4. If you were to trigger the sounds on the RD700SX from an external controller or playing back an SMF you would have access to 16 MIDI channels (or 16 parts), including the four parts also available from the keyboard.

Busch.

Yes and no,

You can cause the 700SX to make sounds using 16 voices at the same time. This is called multi-timbral mode and it responds to MIDI input on up to 16 channels from an external sequencer, say, a computer-based sequencer like Cakewalk, but, this has nothing to do with actually playing the keyboard like a piano. The synth is being played from the sequencer.

For playing the board like a keyboard instrument, there are 4 programmable Zones that you can split and/or layer, which means that you can control up to 4 separate synths while playing this board.

I've not seen a controller with more than 4 zones, by the way.

If this doesn't answer your questions, then perhaps you need to review a rudamentary tutorial on midi and synthesizers. If you search, you'll find that others have left links to such sites.

regards,

--kwgm

ok, so, theoretically, if i had a module, for example, i could use all 16 parts, like in seperate a keyboard in 16 different parts/zones...

this is just a technical question, im just curious where are the limits

If you're really compelled to have more than four splits/layers you can connect the MIDI OUT 1 of the RD to MIDI IN. In the External Zone section set the MIDI channels to 5 through 8 and set the other aspects of the zones. Be aware that the RD700SX has two insert FX plus the reverb and chorus, so some of the sounds might not sound as good as they do when you select them normally.

Anyhow, this will give you access to eight different sounds at the same time.

Busch.

Archived