Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digidesign Velvet EPs

burningbusch

Really interesting new RTAS EP plugin from Digidesign. This is another product coming out of the Wizoo acquisition. I like the idea that it's using samples for tonal accuracy and modeling for playability and control--really taking the best of both worlds. The demos sound pretty wonderful.

Overview

There' s a very good video that goes through the pianos and FXs.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/products/images/Velvet_Rhodes_MkI_12194.jpg

Velvet Features

Highly accurate emulations of four legendary electric pianos: The Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Fender Rhodes MK I and MK II Stage Pianos, and the Wurlitzer A200*

Unique combination of high-definition sampling and a proprietary dynamic modeling technique delivers the ultimate electric piano experience

Groundbreaking proprietary engine allows for unprecedented dynamic resolution and response

Faithful reproductions of electric pianos, including signature sounds when keys are hit forcefully

Unprecedented control over the sound characteristics, including the unique ability to add the sound of the keyboard mechanics to the output signal

Easily adjust the overall timbre, dynamic response, and velocity curve of each model for a range of classic and contemporary electric piano sounds

Powerful preamp section with tube overdrive, compression, and custom 3-band EQ with a parametric mid band

Flexible, dedicated tremolo and autopan effects precisely modeled after those on the original Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos

Built-in professional multi-effects processing engine features stunningly realistic reproductions of vintage distortion, wah/filter, modulation, amplifier, and delay effects including an emulation of the classic Echoplex delay

Over 100 electric piano presets build a basis for faithful reproductions of legendary classic as well as modern electric piano sounds

MIDI Learn functionality allows for easily mapping plug-in parameters to MIDI instruments and controllers

Familiar, easy-to-use graphic user interface reminiscent of the classic electric pianos

Highly optimized RTAS instrument for Pro Tools HD 7, Pro Tools LE 7, and Pro Tools M-Powered 7 software

Busch.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the "trademark" issues:

The plugin doesn't say Rhodes anywhere. It's only in their marketing stuff on the web which can easily be changed. The plugin hasn't been released yet.

Also Digi can afford to pay Mr. Rhodes if they really wanted to, plus I'll bet their legal TEAM is familiar with the ins/outs of these issues.

Busch.

• 1 month later...

I just got Velvet today.

I have to say Digi knocked this out of the ballpark. Control and tonal accuracy. No velocity switching. The FXs sound wonderful. The Wurly sounds great too. Very modest CPU hit. I have to say kills everything else out there.

And Dave Horne will appreciate this, it sounds very organic.

Looks like I'm back to carrying a laptop.

Busch.

Archived