Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling all young, talented keyboard players...

Required for london based up and coming rock 'n roll band..

Already with manager and signed to a top producer.. (will disclose further information at audition, but trust it's very exciting and a great opportunity!!)

Must be 18-30, confident on stage, experienced and ready for an immediate dedicated start to a busy schedule.

Influences from The Yard Birds/Rolling Stones/Gram Parsons/Johnny Cash/Led Zepp

Please contact me with your details and i'll arrange an audition time.

Naomi@ugotstyle.co.uk

Thanx

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard a band recently that played nothing but old, cool Rock - Rush, the Who, Beatles. Really good band. The oldest member was 16. There are some kids that know the classics, but very few.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

mate_stubb,

You took the words out of my mouth (or from my fingers anyway).

Additional thoughts:

1) Can any 18 year olds be "experienced" at anything other than some (not all) bodily functions?

2) I'm suing not only for age discrimination, but also because I'm not that confident on stage and because I don't have time for a busy schedule. Not all of that is true, but doesn't mean I can't sue for it!

3) At 40 and living in the States, I definitely am not one for this band, but I'd like to throw out the name "Boiled Food".

PS -- For some reason I hate it when people abbreviate Led Zeppelin.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Most of my major musical influences were dead or no longer active when I started playing music. You learn from the masters, no? If you're gonna play rock n roll you sure aren't going to learn it listening to what they push on the youths on the radio today.

I also think it's great that Johnny Cash and Led Zepplin are mentioned in the same sentence. It sounds more interesting to me than maybe some band only influenced by one "genre" of music.

Anyway, Mr. Cash was about as rock n roll as they come. And he and Led Zep share the same influences, just like anyone else that plays American Music. That's what makes American music great. Jazz, country, bluegrass, rock n roll, New Orleans music, funk - they all share the blues as their roots with different influences sculpting something new.

I'm not going to sue, but I know a boy named Sue. ;)

first of all.. I am a woman and i'm not looking to exploit anyone. I am the managers PA and have been asked to advertise for a new keyboard player as our previous one left due to personal reasons.

The reason the member must be between 18-30 is because that is the look of the band and also we want them to be a tight knit group that can go out and 'have it' after gigs and become good mates. I am sure there are some exceptions to that rule i.e a cool fresh looking 32yr old isn't going to be turned away for an audition.But if this still seems ageist, i apologise.

And with regards to the genres, couldn't have put it better myself lachmo. The singer/lead guitarist/song writer is extremely talented and has wide knowlege of music. He's 25 so young but a real musician. Also, he has 7 years at least experience in the industry so it is possible to be so young and knowledgable.

Basically this is a brilliant band. Not one of these little indie bands that pop up every two seconds and with each one, one gets dropped. They have substance and will go far.

Originally posted by JumpOnTheBandWagon:

Basically this is a brilliant band. Not one of these little indie bands that pop up every two seconds and with each one, one gets dropped. They have substance and will go far.

Good to hear. Just don't foist another sad-ass, substandard, derivative, manufactured, musically bereft, transient mess of 'trying-too-hard-to-be-famous-for-no-valid-reason-other-than-a-quick-buck' wannabes like bloody 'Busted' or friggin' 'McFly' on us. Please.

[Damn, I hate contemporary British pop] :mad:

Originally posted by cliffk:

Good to hear. Just don't foist another sad-ass, substandard, derivative, manufactured, musically bereft, transient mess of 'trying-too-hard-to-be-famous-for-no-valid-reason-other-than-a-quick-buck' wannabes like bloody 'Busted' or friggin' 'McFly' on us. Please.

[Damn, I hate contemporary British pop] :mad:

C'mon, there's no shortage of bands that claim to have "substance" or whatever. Similarly it is ridiculous to call something bad because it's manufactured. All music is.

It is all meaningless. The only thing that counts is a good song and a good "performance."

And yes, current British pop is cr*p. But there were plenty of good "commerical" music of all types in the past. (As in both "REAL" bands and "manufactured" music, whatever that means.)

The only way you can evaluate music is in musical terms. The melody. The chords. The arrangement.

Best of luck to this band, though.

Originally posted by soundscape:

...it is ridiculous to call something bad because it's manufactured.

By manufactured , I mean an act deliberately put together by another party with the sole and cynical intent of making a profit, with musical quality control being the last factor in the equation.

Originally posted by soundscape:

...But there were plenty of good "commerical" music of all types in the past.

No argument from me here. I'm just really tired of being bombarded by acts so blatantly geared to making the producers a quick buck. Often, the 'artists' are willing to forego any musical integrity they might intially have come with for the sake of getting famous.

Currently, 'X-Factor' (if possible, a dumbed-down version of American Idol) is being aired in the UK and, sadly, the contestants' main reason for entering is to 'become famous'. Equally sadly, the final twelve suck. Need I venture to mention who the architect of this project is? Simon 'clueless' Cowell.

Sorry to rant; I just hate to see so much money invested in a show deliberately designed to manipulate for all the worst reasons. Good music is the casualty.

And, if they are as good as their manager's PA posits, then sincere good wishes to this band.

By manufactured , I mean an act deliberately put together by another party with the sole and cynical intent of making a profit, with musical quality control being the last factor in the equation.

Well, obviously if the music is the bottom factor, I don't care for it either! But the best selling album in the world ever was "Thriller," Quincy Jones as producer. So in the case selling rubbish wasn't the best way to make money. In fact, when you consider the cost of hiring good songwriters and producers, and compare it to overall costs (music video production, for instance,) it's not even that high--and someone has to create the music!

No argument from me here. I'm just really tired of being bombarded by acts so blatantly geared to making the producers a quick buck. Often, the 'artists' are willing to forego any musical integrity they might intially have come with for the sake of getting famous.

There's quite an interesting recent example of Kara DioGuardi. She's an "outside writer" who wrote, among many other songs (100's), "Spinning Around" for Kylie Minogue.

Recently she launched a new band with Dave Stewart (of the Eurythmics) called "Platinum Weird." Oddly, an entire fabricated history was invented that this was originally a band Dave Stewart had in the 70's. There was even a whole VH-1 program on which this history and fake footage was aired (AFAIK). I suppose it deflects from the truth, that he's partnering with a pop songwriter. (Besides, people buy into myths and marketing just loves to sell stories, but it has nothing to do with good music.)

Anyway, check out their song "Will You Be Around" and ask if it's really any different to "Spinning Around":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUoP_dVhf-w

Point is, you can't assume that producers/songwriters working for whoever aren't putting in a their best efforts. Does her music suddenly become good because she's now in a "real band"?

(Now that I think of it... the classic example is Carole King.)

Sorry to rant; I just hate to see so much money invested in a show deliberately designed to manipulate for all the worst reasons. Good music is the casualty.

Rant all you want when it comes to bad music. I'm not happy with the current state of music, that's why I'm ranting on here. ;) I'm no fan of these ridiculous "souped up talent shows" either.

Must be 18-30, confident on stage, experienced and ready for an immediate dedicated start to a busy schedule.

Influences from The Yard Birds/Rolling Stones/Gram Parsons/Johnny Cash/Led Zepp

You can't be serious. You're looking for Yardbirds/Stones/LedZep/J Cash/G Parsons influenced keyboard players from a generation raised on Backstreet Boys, NSync, Nirvana, Madonna, Britney Spears, NIN, GnR, Eminem, Motley Crue, Pantera, Whitesnake, Ratt, etc...?

Best of luck, it's going to be a long search.

Originally posted by The Real MC:

You can't be serious. You're looking for Yardbirds/Stones/LedZep/J Cash/G Parsons influenced keyboard players from a generation raised on Backstreet Boys, NSync, Nirvana, Madonna, Britney Spears, NIN, GnR, Eminem, Motley Crue, Pantera, Whitesnake, Ratt, etc...?

What twentysomething male keyboardist was 'raised on' listening to the Backstreet Boys or N'Sync?!

JumpOnTheBandWagon,

No need to be defensive. We all know about looking for a certain age, and that's acceptable. We're just joking.

Good luck finding your keyboard player.

Regarding the Led Zeppelin and Johnny Cash comments, I'll just say they can belong in the same sentence as long as it's similar to the following:

"Led Zeppelin was WAY better than Johnny Cash."

Just an opinion Cash fans. I get the appeal, but I could just never get into his music. My band used to play Folsom Prison Blues, and I just hated that song with a passion. So glad we dropped it.

On the other hand, Led Zeppelin's Black Dog and All Of My Love -- TOP NOTCH!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived