Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Carrothers

Clifton

Anyone else heard of this guy (jazz pianist)?

I've just recently got his 'Civil War Diaries' solo piano album, and I think he's bloody brilliant.

Nobody else has seemed to have heard of him, at all, anywhere. Which is a terrible shame.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i got one cd of his playin' with drummer Billy Stewart, i think they have a regular duet piano-drums. His playin' is fantastic and very interesting, far from the regular piano trio approach-he's more percussive and his harmonies are more tense IMO. I think he's form minessota and he's to old american music (pre revolution).
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by yannis D:

i got one cd of his playin' with drummer Billy Stewart, i think they have a regular duet piano-drums. His playin' is fantastic and very interesting, far from the regular piano trio approach-he's more percussive and his harmonies are more tense IMO. I think he's form minessota and he's to old american music (pre revolution).

:thu: A fellow fan. Rock on

i do, but we're few and it's a pitty! He's one of the importand musicians of the future IMO.Less flambouyant than Brad Mehldau but some times i fell that he has more essence to his playin...
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

It is an awful pity really, I'm a huge fan of how he plays.

As my fav pianists go its Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett and then Bill Carrothers.

I've emailed him a few times, he's a really funny guy, and he's given me a lot of good advice (as a fellow pianist).

There's a transcript of a lesson he gave on his website, says a lot of insightful things, check it out: http://www.carrothers.com/pianolesson.htm

Archived