Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

fixing a C8P controller

Tom Fiala

My aging C8p controller has developed several keys that "klunk". I think the lead weight have have separated from the key mechanism. It's some sort of Fatar action, IIRC, don't know which one.

Any ideas about repairs, or a similar 88 key fully weighted action that would be suitable as a replacement?

I'm partial to keeping this one - as the midi control features are very good. But, if replacement parts aren't available, I may have to give up on that idea.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember programming a C8P back in the late 90s. Cool MIDI controller.

However, I do recall it going into the shop for 'klunky' keys repairs.

I have no idea about how easy or difficult it would be to get one repaired nowadays.

Of course, you know the possibilities of a suitable replacement are numerous.

How many boards do you have to control?

I recently played on a M-Audio ProKeys 88 Stage piano/MIDI controller. It wasn't too bad for a $600 board. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I really like the heavy feel of the keys on the c8p for a piano-type controller...so that's why I keep it as the master controller in my l'il home studio.

I tried the CME unit recently, and was underwhelmed with the kb action. Haven't tried the M-audio unit you've mentioned yet.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

I almost bought one of these a while back now I'm looking at the Studiologic VMK188-plus which has had good reports on the action side and its been re-designed, since first launch,I think to be more giggable.The 'casework'is in metal with rubberised silver paint and now with more macho black end cheeks.

Also comes with a template for Ivory :cool:

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

If Max (in tech) is still at Peavey in Meridian (and he still has parts) you might get it fixed by sending it there. I used one of years (it's actually on a stand right behind me as I type). I always liked it, but I went back to an even older controller a few years ago when the person I'd given it to offered to give it back. When I did use the Peavey, Max always took good care of me.

I'll see if Max is there. I sent them an email last night.

I opened up the KB last night. It's some type of Fatar keybed...don't know which one exactly. After the top of the key is removed, there is a pivoting weight, which is inside a plastic assembly. I gather this is the "hammer". A plastic tab at the bottom of this assembly has snapped off, allowing the weight to "klonk" down on the metal frame. It would be easy to swap out - if only I could find some replacement parts. Any ideas?

Maybe I should look for a brand new Fatar action, to drop in? Anybody know where I might find one of those?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Archived