Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unweighted instruments on weighted actions

Clifton

swipe compression effect that is simulated on the Electro
That's the phenomenon called "tone robbing". NIB4 does it, and I'm pretty sure Roland's does too, or I'd have noticed that the palm swipes are too loud when playing Jim's VK8-M. (Try that on a ROMpler and it sounds way too loud.)

Oh, and thanks for the Candy Striper. That cured the old shudder by starting a new (nicer) one.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"No, it's not the sluggishness of the CPU, it's the speed of the keys. You can't do these things on a real piano either."

I can, and do.

It IS the CPU (and/or related issues).

But it can ALSO be the keybed/keyboard.

Not all acoustic pianos are equal (in fact, few are). My parents own what in my view is the best acoustic piano of all time (and Maurice Ravel agreed): Mason & Hamlin.

I don't have the time right now to go into the details, but it has several unique characteristics, all of which are patented, that set it apart from the other brands. I cannot necessarily get the same response even from my parents' Steinway as from the Mason & Hamlin.

Unfortunately, as I am currently 3000 miles away, I cannot just go over there right now to take notes on a more detailed explanation of the differences in action.

I have a DVD that goes through the entire history of M&H and its innovations, and a co-worker here once pointed me to some PDF's that I didn't save but which showed the full keying mechanism and what it takes to make it return instantly once a key is released.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It's not impossible to drive a Mack truck up a winding mountain road, but it's not a lot of fun. I'd rather be in something sporty and light.

But what we're talking about here is more like sitting in a Mack truck simulator, watching a DVD of a winding mountain road. Oh, oh...rock slide ahead! :eek:

Busch.

Archived