Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking to buy a keyboard + an Amp w/ a small budget

Skythe

Hey guys!

I'm a pretty unexperienced keyboard player, playing in my friend's band. We like music like Phish, and Pink Floyd. Anyways, I've been freeloading off his board for awhile, so I thought I'd ought to get my own. We're going to perform in our first public thing soon too (the school talent show).

My budgets pretty low (sadly), but I've got about 450 overall (maybe). I don't want to get something I'm going to regret, so what do you guys think I should get?

Thanks!

(Right now I'm thinking about a Casio WK3200 and a Behringer K900FX Amplifier).

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a WK3700 and love it as it meets my needs as a second board in a Christian Rock band, but do not know if I would recommend it to play Pink Floyd or Phish music. The strings are okay, but not great and the organ is good for lead lines, but is weak for any sustained chording. The Leslie emulation (and that is a strong word for it) is too thin for any sustained chording as well. The pad sounds though are decent. Floyd and Phish are very keyboard and organ intensive and although I have posted in support of the WK 3700 on this board before, I don't think its strong enough to do what you'd like it to do.

My recommendation is to browse the used instrument sections of newspapers and such and look for bigger names (Korg, Roland, Yamaha) and older boards instead. Roland makes a good $ 500 (not sure of the model name)or so board that has stronger sounds, but a more complicated user interface than the WK that may be an option.

I think a Roland JUNO may be an option in that price range. You also may want to check out some of the Yamaha boards that are similar to Casio---their sounds seem to be stronger than the Casio and may work better for your applications.

Others here can chip in with more suggestions.

Hope this helps!

BD

1956 Hammond C3 with Leslie 122, Roland V-Combo, Trek II Preamp, Peavey KB 100, 1976 Natural Maple Rickenbacker 4001S bass

And yes folks, I do gig with a Casio WK 3700...So there!

^ Thanks for the reccomendation! I'll look into that Juno thing. :)

Skythe,

You can help us help you a bit more if you tell us what kinds of sounds you mostly use. You a piano guy? Organs? Lots of synth sounds?

Your budget is going to make it tough to get a good rig. Sounds like you're a student, so I'm sure you've scraped together as much as you can. That's the tough thing about being a keyboardist -- the gear is so expensive! :cry:

I would seriously consider the used market, you can probably get more bang for your buck there. So tell us what sounds you're looking for, and we can throw some more ideas at you.

Good luck with your first gig! :thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Hey Dave, thanks for the response!

And yeah, you're right, I'm a lowly eighth grade student :) , I'll work on the budget thing sometime, this is a startoff, I guess.

Anywaysm I'm looking for some cool synths and some nice electric organ sounds. Maybe something that can imitate a Farfisa sound decently? I'll probably be doing back-up chords most of the time (if not a solo or two), so something with a powerful sustaining ability would be good.

Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm.

OK. You might want to consider a used "XP-series" Roland keyboard. It was considered quite the thing in it's day, although most of us see it as outdated now. It has passable organs, a lot of decent synth sounds, and they can be had pretty cheap on eBay.

My bandleader recently got an XP-10 for less than $200. There were also XP-30's, 50's, 60's, 80's. I'm sure others here know more about the models than me.

You'll eventually outgrow this board, but it's probably a gig-worthy starting point for you.

Eighth-grade bands RAWK dude. Enjoy being a young musician. I know I did. ;) (Although I'm not sure I want to admit how long ago that was... :rolleyes: )

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived