Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My weekend gigs

ITGITC

Two gigs this weekend; Friday & Saturday nights.

Friday night we played outside for a wedding rehearsal after-party. The weather was nice with a bit of chill in the air. The band - A Bunch of Joes - was a pickup band assembled just for the gig. It consisted of me and my guitarist from NYC, plus a drummer, bassist and vocalist. We had a great list of tunes and had put in three long rehearsals prior to the gig.

The party was in an upscale neighborhood at a picnic shelter - no sides, just roof. It was big with a cement floor. Dropcords were used on either side - one to power the PA and guitar amp, the other for me and the bassist. I don't know if we were on separate circuits.

But I do know that something screwy was going on with the voltage. The new QSC PLX 1804 amp that I just purchased a week before powered up - as did my Mackie mixer. But I couldn't get a lot of gain or bass from it. Sure, I had some volume, and I had some bass. But not the 600 watts/channel @ 8 ohms chest-punching bass that I had gotten when I tried the setup just before packing it up for the gig.

In summary, the gig went great - low voltage and all. The three rehearsals paid off & we all had a lot of fun.

Last night I was invited to sit in with another friend who plays guitar with my band of home-boys. We're called The Refried Beans.

The party was at a huge frat house at UNC - Chapel Hill... in the basement. Oh crap. I'm too old for this. I got there at 9:00 to start at 10:00. Had to park on the street with my flashers on to get some brothers (frat brothers) to help unload and transport my speakers & PC2X down the steps to the room where the party was held.

Did I say this was a big place? For those who have partied at a frat house, this is one of the biggest most well-attended parties I've ever played. The basement was decorated in bamboo as a beach hut - a biiiiiig beach hut. In fact, the basement was a bar. Plain and simple - that was its purpose... complete with a MEN'S room where the door was off the hinges, and a LADIE'S room a little farther down the hall.

We played in the pit - a very large room with a stage, bamboo on the walls, an industrial fan to blow the smoke out, and AT LEAST six inches of beach sand on the flooor. Oh yes. At LEAST six inches of beach sand on the floor.

For those of you who carry, or have carried, keyboard equipment at gigs, I want to emphasise that getting my cabinets and PC2X and all the rest of it set up wasn't bad. I had help. But we played until 2:00 AM. Trying to find one guy - ONE GUY - to help us lug all that out of the sandy basement, up the stairs, and out the back door to the vehicles was impossible.

So we played the gig. It was packed. Carolina girls - best in the world, as the song goes. Yes, in their sundresses and sandals. Of course, at 50, I could be their father. (Who knows... maybe I was.) :D Kidding.

Did I tell you the place was packed? You had to step outside just to change your mind. :eek:

Luckily, we had plenty of AC power and that QSC amp really flexed its muscles into the 3-way EAW speakers. Fortunately, I came with a loaded MP3 player. When the band took a break, I had a great list of Frat-Rock tunes to play. I turned on the music and the first thing that happened is one of the brothers (frat brothers) came up to the stage and wanted a bit more volume. I turned it up. It wasn't enough. I kept getting the "thumbs up" signal... So I cranked it some more - The QSC indicator lights were hardly flickering... that amp was begging for more.

So I twisted the knobs on the amp full tilt and ran up the controls on the Mackie. It was loud... damn loud. I had to step off the stage. But when I got to the back of the room, the sound was great. It had plenty of bass and did a fine job of filling the room with sound without making my ears bleed. I got back on stage and put my hand in front of the amp to see if it was warm. Nope. I think I heard a little voice coming from the rack saying, "Izzat ALL you got?" :thu:

OK. The party ended at 2:00 AM. We loaded all the equipment back up the stairs and into the vehicles. I got on the road at 3:09 AM and got home around 3:35.

I've had two cups of coffee this morning. It's 10:36.

Can anyone imagine how I feel? :rolleyes:

===========================

Music is cool.

Is There Gas In The Car?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also own that QSC PLX1804. While I can't speak about my amp in that situation, I did have a similar problem with my old Carver 2.0t (the same as the PM1200). The QSC PLX uses similar or the same technology as that Carver. I worked an outside job in the US with a very long electric cable run. One channel didn't work well, there was distortion - it was just strange. I get the amp home, power it up, no problem.

I call Carver the next day and explain the problem. The first questions from the tech, 'was is an outside job and was there a long cable run'. These amps like to see the voltage for which they were designed. This appears to be the only drawback ... and they don't seem to go out of their way to inform the user.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Sounds like fun Tom. Wish I could have been there but I was playing to. In Philly, Raleigh and again in Raleigh tonight. Come support me brother. I might fall off the stool from exhaustion. Amra's tonight 9pm

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by keyoctave:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Like you have been run over by a herd of sheep! :D
Keyoctave you were in the audience, weren't you? :rolleyes::wave:

Wowza. Sheep... in multiple herds... all night long. :thu:

Dave - I had read your previous post regarding using the Carver amps with long, thin extention cords. I thought I might have this problem the moment I saw where we were setting up. OTOH, it's amazing how good my setup sounded the next night with decent AC power.

Bueskeys - I can't make it to Amra's tonight. I'm pooped. Sorry.

Cydonia - I was holding down LH bass, playing piano/Rhodes/Wurly/Horns with my right hand, and singing backup. My feet were working the pedals. Now you tell me how I was going to take the pictures. :eek: OTOH, I shoulda. I really shoulda. :rolleyes:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Now you tell me how I was going to take the pictures.

I don't know. :) Here's an idea. :idea: You look for the cutest girl in the audience, give your camera to her friend and ask the latter to take some pics of the cutie and, if there's still room, a few of the band. :D

Have a glass of red wine for me. :thu:

Strange that I played the Topsfield Fair on Friday night and there were barns full of every farm critter imaginable. Between sets, I wandered into a barn full of sheep and just couldn't help thinking of you, Tom.

I really don't understand the attraction. They're not that cute and they smell pretty bad.

--wmp

===========================

Music is cool.

Is There Gas In The Car?

Don't think we have to imagine. I am sure most of us have got in from gigs at 4 in the morning. Got in Fri/Sat a week ago at 3. Wish we'd had your crowd though :confused:

PS I;ve noticed bands are always more willing to help load in the PA than out. The sand is a new twist though.

Sounds like a whole lot 'o fun Tom!

I had a two nighter this weekend too. Was pretty bagged yesterday. Got home both nights at 2:00 am and up with my kids at 6:30am.

Fun though

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

PS I;ve noticed bands are always more willing to help load in the PA than out. The sand is a new twist though.

Exactly :freak:

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Exactly :freak:
Tom I know how you feel after two nighter's. I am certain age has a lot to do with it. I feel like I am stuck in that sand this morning. It's like I have been on a binge, but instead of a drinking binge it's been music.

Hope you put a wad of cash in your pocket for all the work. It's load ins like the frat house that make me double the price or at least add a few hundred to a gig.

Cheers

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Low Voltage=Brown out. Your're very fotunate you didn't smoke that new amp Oh Sheepman!.

I have a voltage indictor on my Furman Power Conditioner, however it will only tell me that the voltage is LOW, it's not voltage regulator or a Continuous Power SUpply. I have to decide if I want to use my stuff and risk damaging it.

I also carry a little device that you plug into a recepticle to be sure it has a good earth ground. It has a set of lights that give you the polarity as well as the presence of a good earth ground, or not.

Both those devices have helped me out a number of times.

Anymore when I get contacted for an outside gig, I specify that they MUST provide a good AC source, or they have to pay me in full anyway if they don't.

Sounds like you had a good time anyway Tom.

(AKA Sheepman) :thu:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Low Voltage=Brown out. Your're very fotunate you didn't smoke that new amp Oh Sheepman!.

Mike T.

Hi Mike.

I read your note a couple of days ago. I wanted to write QSC to get a definitive answer about low voltage damaging the PLX-1804.

Here is their reply:

Hello Tom,

Low AC input voltage will not damage the amplifier. However, it will limit the output power (possibly what you were experiencing). We recommend using short and/or "thick" and/or no ext cords at all (when possible). Any sag in the AC supply will reduce output power. In the extreme cases where the input AC voltage sags below ~80, the amplifier will shut down (maybe for only a second, depending on how long the AC stays that low...) Do not worry about hurting your amp, but if you want full rated output you must supply it with 120Vac. Hope this helps. Thanks for your inquiry.

Regards,

(Name deleted by me)

=======================

Good to know, huh?

Take care.

Tom

Archived