Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

wheeled rack anyone?

Andre Lower

I've been analyzing this one for a while and would like to share it with you guys, for perhaps someone will come up with an idea I haven't had yet.

I'm soon to sell most of my gear and replace it. Seizing the opportunity, I plan to make my rig more compact and practical for moving around. With that in mind I'm planning to reduce it all to one single board (Fantom X7) and the smartest wheeled rack I can lat my hands on.

This is the gear I have now and want to "rack-up":

- TC Helicon VoiceLive (floor unit);

- Mackie VLZ1202 mixer (tabletop format);

- Alesis Micron

- lots of cables, etc.

The wheeled rack I have in mind should carry the following:

- TC Helicon VoiceWorks (19" rack unit);

- BBE Sonic Maximizer (19" rack unit);

- Furman Power Conditioner (19" rack unit);

- Creamware MiniMax ASB (unfortunately not available in rack format, but I plan to remove the wooden end panels and fix it in the rack anyway, controlling it via MIDI only);

- some rack format mixer to replace my Mackie.

- shorter cables, all permanently hooked up, saving me lots of time and work.

I guess some 6 rack spaces should suffice, and also that wheels could turn a potential hog into a doodle for carrying around. I've looked into Gator products, and wonder whether those are a good compromise between weight and durability.

Anyway I have no experience whatsoever with racks, and any input would be appreciated.

Right now I'm trying to find out a true rack format mixer (looks like there's only Behringer :mad: and a huge Alesis that's 3 rackspaces high...) and pondering a feasible solution to rack-up the Minimax. One of the ideas that crossed my mind was to mount it vertically on the back-side of the Wheeled rack (all the other items are and there should be enough space left for that).

Any tips from the rack users around KC?

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should check out the SKB "Gig Rigs," some of which have pop-up shelves for a mixer like your Mackie and add a 6U or 10U rack underneath:

Click here

My current needs are very similar to yours, and the Mini Gig Rig with Pop-Up Shelf is about the best thing I've found to suit them. That said, I haven't bought it yet so I can't review it first-hand. The 6U model doesn't have wheels, but that's about the only drawback that I can recognize. The larger 10U "Gig Rig" does have wheels if they're important to you.

Good luck.

Noah

P.S. If anyone out there does own this rack case, I'd love to get your impressions of it.

Second the recommendation to check out the SKB Gig Rig options; if you're going to go with the 6-space without wheels, you can add the RotoRoller , which can serve as your cable/pedal/tools case as well as your wheeled rack base.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/sku_view_image.php?id=119&role=image_thumb

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/sku_view_image.php?id=110&role=image_thumb

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

Right now I'm trying to find out a true rack format mixer (looks like there's only Behringer :mad: and a huge Alesis that's 3 rackspaces high...)

Fala André!

I have a ROLLS RM203, 1U Mixer. 10 stereo channels. There is (was?) a similiar product by RANE.

http://www.supremeaudio.com/images/rm203.jpg

Abraço!

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks for everyone's input.

Now I'll do some research on this Gig Rig thing...

BTW, I do not think I could fit both the Minimax and Mixer on the pop-up shelf, and am thus still interested in any story of a tabletop format synth mounted vertically in the back of a rack like that...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Rod S:

Right now I'm trying to find out a true rack format mixer (looks like there's only Behringer :mad: and a huge Alesis that's 3 rackspaces high...)

Fala André!

I have a ROLLS RM203, 1U Mixer. 10 stereo channels. There is (was?) a similiar product by RANE.

http://www.supremeaudio.com/images/rm203.jpg

Abraço!

Fala Rodrigo!

What about quality? Are the amplifiers as good as those on Mackie mixers? Overall noise? It's good to have some user to ask, for manufacturers will always swear their products rock (including Behringer :eek: ).

Fala Rodrigo!

What about quality? Are the amplifiers as good as those on Mackie mixers? Overall noise? It's good to have some user to ask, for manufacturers will always swear their products rock (including Behringer :eek: ).

They are a bit noisy, the RANE is supposedly better. I use mine only at home, the noise never bothered me except for some specific situtations, I don't see during live use it being too noticeable.

Qualquer coisa posso deixar o meu contigo alguns dias para teste, se quiser... me mudei para SP (alphaville para ser mais preciso...), a gente pode combinar.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks Rod, but I strongly believe I could ruin the system by compromising with the mixer quality, making it the "weak link" in the audio chain.

I am searching all over the web for a quality rack-format mixer with at least 4 XLR inputs and balanced XLR main outputs. It still puzzles me that only Behringer seems to have a product in this configuration!

Until now it looks like I'll have only one option: Alesis Studio 12R. I just want to avoid buying a mixer that adds hissing noises to my rig...

Here's some photos of my gig rack. The rack is a six space lower, ten space upper rack. It's very compact and I use every inch of it. I believe the manufacurer is Raxess. It is wood covered with a carpet like material. I like wood because I can drill holes in it and attach things to it. The wheels are from Road Ready and are exceptional. They turn the rack into a perpetual motion machine--give it a little push and it keeps going and going.

The rack houses in the lower: Yamaha VL1m, Fantom XR (loaded) and currently a QSC power amp. I will probably be switching out the power amp for the Creamware Noah which gives me the equivalent of the Pro12, Minimax, Oddessy ASB units and then some. The top has the Nord Electro Rack and a Mackie 1202 mixer. Everything is pre-wired and I use an umbilical cord (audio, MIDI, power) to get the external keyboard into the rack. The umbilical cord ensures a quick and predictable setup.

http://purgatorycreek.com/images/DSC_0119.jpg

lower rack spaces

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/images/DSC_0120.jpg

Full rack with Motion Sound K100 amp on top. Notice I use the front door to the rack as a shelf. It fits perfectly to allow me access to the volume controls on the Mackie and full access tot he Electro.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/images/DSC_0127.jpg

Alternatively, the Creamware Pro12 ASB if I'm using larger speakers. The shelf comes in handy, would fit a laptop nicely.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/images/DSC_0122.jpg

Right angle plugs allows me to use the shelf on top. Notice the power supply for the RD300SX on the right.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/images/DSC_0123.jpg

Rear of the rack. In the center is a plug that gets power to the unit. At the bottom left are Speakon connectors and two holes at the top allow me to plug in to the XLR outs if I need to go to a FOH system. I rarely open the back of the unit--just plug and go. Set up and tear down is amazingly quick and easy.

Busch.

Hey Busch, thanks a lot! You've got yourself a wonderful rig. BTW, are the Noahs still obtainable? You sure got a point if it can really load up and play the current versions of Minimax, Pro12, Odissey and that Hammond simulator. Perhaps Alfonso could chime in...

Now back to my ignorance about racks, I am assuming the top lid of this rack of yours leaves enough headroom for the electro and Mackie knobs, and that that this top lid and the front door of the rack lock to the structure with some latching device. Is that correct?

Another question: how heavy is it with all that? Mind you, the weight in pounds would help, but I can understand if you just tell me you are capable to pull it from the ground and place it inside your car's trunk all by yourself (that's the worst scenario, right? ;) ).

BTW, I liked your reasoning for preferring wood and the idea of a single plug powering the unit. Does the bundling of the audio and power cable together raises any hum (induced noise) problem? I'm also intending to go for something like that if possible.

If you happen to have any pic of the rack on traveling status (all doors locked, ready to roll) I'd love to see it.

I have a 12 rack space flight case (Anvil) on wheels with rack rails front and back.

To save space with the Mackie 1202 mixer (which would normally be mounted vertically in most cases), I tilted mine back into the case at a 45 degree angle (by removing the top two screws in the rack ears and extending the mixer using plastic computer case 'rails'). I saved several rack spaces and additionally made it easier to use the inserts 'at the top' of the mixer; since they are tilted back, I save even more rack space.

I've explained how to do this in another thread some time ago - it doesn't take much imagination and I don't know why the good folks at Mackie haven't thought of this and offer to sell a 'tilt kit'.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Andre,

With the 10/6 version, I use the front cover as the shelf. The front cover is the width of the unit, but is six rack spaces high, so it leaves four rack spaces open, enough for me to get access to the Electro and the volume controls on the Mackie.

http://www.raxxess.com/assets/cr_f.jpg

Picture of the 10 space rack unit. Mine is six space.

Regarding weight I'm going to have to guesstimate that it's around 75 lbs, give or take. The modules add up to ~45 lbs. It will go down by 5 lbs if I exchange the QSC for the Noah. The rack with wheels and cables is probably around 30 lbs, maybe a bit more.

Busch.

Archived