Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil pc2x reliable?

gad levin

I might be able to purchase a used PC2X (with orchestral) for a very good price.

It looks in great condition, but I read some reviews over the internet that the PC2X is not reliable (mostly in harmony-central).

I have a SP88X but I decided that I need some more sounds (I thought VI's will do it for me but I want some solid sounds at a key's distance).

I'm wondering what's the consensus on used pc2x's?

Should I go for it?

It seems like this site is heavy with expert, I'm sure you guys can help me out.

Thanks,

Gad.

Regards,

Gad Levin

gad_levin@hotmail.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a used PC2x thru eBay sold to me as being in great condition. It has some bumps and bruises and one of the keyweights is broken.

Found out through some research that this is probably what most are referring - the earlier versions (mine is 4 years old) had a problematic keyweight assembly that was prone to failure. A Kurzweil licensed tech quoted me $100 for replacement of one half of the keybed and the newer assembly does not have this issue.

I busted up more PC88 actions than I care to recall and I've had zero action problems in almost two years with the PC2X. It did reset itself once without being asked, forgetting all the setups and KB3 patches I set up. Just another reminder to always back up your stuff.
--wmp

Just make sure you don't power cycle before a complete cycle has completed, and you should get a long life out of your PC2. The power cycle takes awhile, so what I mean is, don't turn the power off during it, and especially not back on right away. This is the only thing that has ever caused flakiness for me.

Many keyboards and synths are voltage-sensitive with low tolerance for variational voltage. As power problems become more and more frequent (in my area at least), I imagine the described problem occured during a "power event", even if just a brief brownout. I am considering a UPS for my most critical synths for that reason, as I have indeed had that problem with most synths over time. Worst was Nord Lead 3, then Yamaha Motif ES workstation, then the Kurzweil PC2 series. Lost a lot of work over time, and do lots of saves now in case of a power event.

Didn't know about the keybed issues. I wonder if you can tell whether it is before or after the design problem got corrected, based on the body being purple vs. black? Mine was black and had no problems. Perhaps the purple ones have the inferior keybed mechanisms?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

Funny that everyones had such a reliable run with their pc2x, mines in the shop right now, apparently not one but two of power supply doohickeys in the machine just decided to die, and they're having to ship in the new parts. Dang it. Be another 2 weeks they say, which is bullshit.

Mine had cliccing black keys and two keys (G and A above middle C) that got sluggish. I had the action replaced and sold it.

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by Blue JC:

Mine has a couple hundred one-nighters on it and no problems ever.

Mr. Blue JC, what type of case are you carrying it in?
I only use Anvil cases. They're big, heavy, metal coffins but I have never had to replace a handle or hinge on any of them. Most importantly, I have never had a transport accident damage any of my keyboards. As I do about 150 one-nighters a year now, that's a perfect track record.

Let's have a beer and celebrate!

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Blue JC:

Let's have a beer and celebrate!

Six words that always get my attention. :thu:

I've got two 8-space Anvil cases for my rack equipment. I'm using SKB 5817W for my keyboard. I've got a loose handle on it, but I just haven't taken the time to get it repaired. SKB has a lifetime guarantee, so I'll get around to it eventually.

150 one-nighters per year. :thu::)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Following the excellent feedback, I went ahead and bought the PC2X (which actually had both the orchestral AND the classic keys expansion - nice surprise).

I enjoy it a lot, the sound quality is amazing, and I just started playing with the extra features to get a feel for it.

I believe I will enjoy it a lot!!

Regards,

Gad Levin

gad_levin@hotmail.com

Originally posted by gad levin:

Hi All,

Following the excellent feedback, I went ahead and bought the PC2X (which actually had both the orchestral AND the classic keys expansion - nice surprise).

I enjoy it a lot, the sound quality is amazing, and I just started playing with the extra features to get a feel for it.

I believe I will enjoy it a lot!!

Congrats Gad - please let us know how you love it!

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Archived