Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying new organ simulator- Need Help!

musicalaccents

Hey guys. Well, I'm finally ready, financially & emotionally, ready to invest in a new keyboard. I have narrowed my search to two keyboards: Nord Electro II 76 keys & Hammond XK-1. From my narrowed selection, it's quite obvious I'm looking for a quality organ simulator. The Electro II & XK-1 are similar in price (Nord a tad bit more). I'm looking just to enhance my organ sounds & learn how to adjust drawbar settings on the fly. Which is the better buy & why?

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not played the XK-1 but have played the other Hammonds and the Nord. I found the Nord to be hard to get used to the button drawbar thing and the organ didn't have enough balls. The Hammonds have the growl and there is nothing like the feel of drawbars in your hands. Now if the sounds other than organ are needed the Nord would be the choice.

You might also check out the Roland VK8 or if you already have an unweighted keyboard the VK8m module. I love my VK8m and they are well under $1000.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

i love Nord and it's quite practical in a live situation, where the light on stage is limited and you have to be able to look at your drawbar settings. Plus, it's very light, has killer ep's, clavinets and wurlies, a passable piano and a good electric grand. Compared to the XK1 it might be a better choice UNLESS you only need it for hammond sounds. If that's your point you have to play them and see if the virtual drawbars thing is OK for you. Otherwise, i would suggest the Electro, as it covers more basis - good search

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I have an xk-3 and a nord electro. I dont think the nord even comes close to comparing with the organ quality of the hammond. The built in tube amp really adds some growl and warmth too. Hammond, hands down! The buttom draw bars on the nord pretty much suck too. Im not a fan.

_ ______________________________ _

Hey check out my super saucy reggae/funk/progressive/acid jazz/jam band!

www.myspace.com/indubious

Hi all,

I spent several weeks doing tons of MP3 comparisons even before trying out the various options. The Nord is very cool even if a little under-built but as you can read elsewhere in this forum there really is no comparison between it and the XK-1 for purely organ sounds.

Ultimately you won't be dissapointed with either rig and I'd urge you to try them both out if you get the chance. One word of warning though, the default leslie sim set up is appalling on the XK-1 but with a little tweaking it really sounds wonderful.

Happy to help with the config if you like.

Best wishes

Dan.

Originally posted by Moog_Man:

The Roland VK8 is great, I just recorded with one yesterday and it growls. It also has some cool features like the V(or is it D?) beam.

I use the V-beam to change Leslie speeds when I don't connect a footswitch...it looks like I'm waving a magic wand over my boards, or practicing karate ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

quote Ed Coury

I use the V-beam to change Leslie speeds when I don't connect a footswitch...it looks like I'm waving a magic wand over my boards, or practicing karate ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I do the same thing and folks always come up and ask the question. What are you doing with your left hand? I love it because I don't have to look at the buttons to make sure I hit the correct one. And I don't have another peddle to carry.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by yannis D:

....where the light on stage is limited and you have to be able to look at your drawbar settings.

I find that with real drawbars, I don't need much light. I really don't look much at the numbers, I'll just look at the locational relationship of the drawbars. Plus, I can just lay my left hand on them and feel how they're set.

The problem I'd have with the virtual drawbars of the Nord is control of how fast I can make the changes. There's one song where I have to go from registration 80 00000 08 to 88 80000 08 within an eighth note. Difficult to do with virtual drawbars. Plus at times I will hold a chord and move multiple drawbars together.

I'll always love the tactile feel of the real thing.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

hey Mr. Nightime

in case you only need hammond sounds, the XK1 should be the best choice - to me the Electro is a superb synth for all vintage sounds, hammond included, but you should compromise for the lack of real drawbars if you need ep's and so on. It's true, it is no easy to change settings on the fly , but with some practise you come closer to the real thing. Not as close as the XK1 goes though.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Yannis

In my case I already had the digital piano to handle the piano, EP, clav, and assorted others, and a rompler for everything else. I needed the more realistic Hammond. I've got an XB-2 that I dearly love, but if money was not an object, I'd might upgrade to an XK-3. But, I use the XB-2s overdrive quite a bit, so I'd have to be able to match that with anything new.

This is my second XB-2. the first was stolen. I used to run it through a 147 Leslie on 10 (Preamp and power amp) with the overdrive up on the Hammond. Love that dirty growl. :love:

I really haven't had much chance to check out the Nord. I've only seen one used in a music store, and there was too much other noise happening for me to really check it out.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by stepay:

BluesKeys,

What keyboard do you hook your Roland VK8m up to? Perhaps I should know this already, but I don't.

Steve

Steve opps stepay...

I am midi the VK8m to a Motif6. I needed the extra sounds of the Motif. The vox, strings horns and the versatility of creating my own patches which after help from here and the motifator forum I was able to do. I also use the Clav, and Ep's from the Motif here and there.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I have an XB 2 , it sounds great through a leslie but falls short when using its simulator. I have since purchased a second hand Roland V Combo (vr760) . This has the VK sound engine and draw bars as well. It has a waterfall keyboard action and a few cool synth/piano sounds. Plus it has space for 2 SRX expansion boards.
JDP

Many people praise the Nord's lightness. Well, let me add myself to that list. I tell you, there's nothing like being able to pack up the 20 pound Nord in its custom backpack case, throw it on your back, and head out the door after a gig. The saxophone player in my band carries heavier stuff. Imagine that.

But don't get me wrong, it also sounds great. The weight is more like the icing on the cake. When I was in the same boat (looking for a good organ emulator), I test-drove every board out there and liked the Nord the best. But it's a personal thing, you gotta try 'em out for yourself.

I love my Nord. I get very authentic-sounding Hammond stuff out of it, but of course I play through a Speakeasy preamp and a motion-sound rotary amp. The excellent Wurly and Clav are very important to me as well.

Having said that, if you want to learn how to work the drawbars, Hammond style, it's hard to beat real drawbars. I miss them a lot.

I haven't played the XK-1, so I'll take everyone's word for how good it is. I did play an XK-3 a couple of times, and I find the Leslie sim FAR from satisfactory. Just short of sucking badly, if fact.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Mú Carvalho:

Take a look at this. Made in Brasil, but is amazing. Sounds realy great.

I personaly helped them during the creation process.

nice. Have you got a link to the Tokai website - I did a google search but couldn't find much in English and I can't read Spanish.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

does the RD700 (not sx) as mentioned above really have the same simulator as the vk8(m)? I personally find the simulator in the RD simiply atrocious. Also, Im from richmond, VA. Is there anywhere close by (I would go as far as Norfolk) that I could try out a nord and/or an xk-1 for myself? I've been all over town with no success. Sam Ash had a nord awhile back hooked up to a motion sound, but I wasnt in the market then, and its gone now.

-j

Originally posted by JinVA:

Also, Im from richmond, VA. Is there anywhere close by (I would go as far as Norfolk) that I could try out a nord and/or an xk-1 for myself?

My local Guitar Center (in Rockville, MD) always has a Nord Electro 61 set up. Have you tried any of the GCs in and around your area or Northern Virginia? Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to try out an XK-1, although I have messed around a bunch of times with the XK-3 at my GC.

Noah

yeah, I've been to the guitar center located next to the sam ash....they have crap. I've never seen the likes of a korg cx3, hammond xk-anything or nord.

I really don't want to run up to chuck levins....but I might end up doing that anyway.

Archived