Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small Leslies?

Darren Landrum

Calling all Hammond guys! (B3-er is the only one I know by name. I've also seen him perform live.) ;)

Due to space restrictions, it's looking like a real drum set might be out of the question, but I'm wondering if I can shoehorn a Leslie in here, somehow, if it's a smaller one.

What did Leslie make in the way of rotary speakers for small bedrooms, if anything?

I keep seeing references to the 142 being a smaller version of the 122, but nobody seems keen on posting actual dimensions of these cabinets anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

PS -- "Small Leslies" might also make a great band name! :D

Darren Landrum

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren, you can find specs on the various Leslie models at The Hammond-Leslie FAQ . The Leslie 142, for example, measures 33" x 29" x 21", compared to the 122's 41" x 29" x 20-1/2".

Newer (current) products should have specs listed on their website (i.e. the Leslie 2101, which is way too big for your application, or perhaps the Motion Sound products).

Good luck.

Our November issue has a roundup of the current crop of rotary speaker cabinets. Steve Fortner had Tom Coster and Booker T. Jones come in and try everything out, and they have some really interesting things to say about it. Let me see if I can get Steve to give you a little preview of what's cool.

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

You don't want to go with any non-leslie clones. Most of them just ain't the same. What you might want is the Leslie Pro-line series. This is the leslies that are black and small. They are portable and have mostly higher model numbers (800 series, 900 series, etc). They don't have louvres but at that point we're getting to specific tonal quality and most mics won't grab that much accuracy anyways. They have solid-state amps but I believe the guy at keyboardpartner.de sells tube amps for proline leslies. Or, you can be unique and stick an AC30 head in there or something.

Anyways, the smaller/later leslie models are what you'd probably want; and they are about the size of your typical guitar amplifier.

Hrm, a search on "Leslie Pro-Line" turns up:

http://www.alamomusic.com/LESLIE_B.JPG

Exactly what was I supposed to be looking at again? :D

Wow, thank you for all of the responses, everyone! It definitely gives a guy a lot to think about. Of course, I did forget to mention I'm on a strained budget, which means I really shouldn't be thinking about a Leslie at all, but hey, a guy can still dream, I guess.

No takers for the "Small Berries" joke? ;)

Darren Landrum

I've owned the Leslie 860, which is probably the best (and most compact) of the ProLine Leslies. I can say that, to me at least, it is third on the list of desireable Leslie-type products. In second I like my Motion Sound KBR-M better, and it's smaller and lighter, has a small tube for the rotary channel, and has additional non-rotary channels for my other keyboards. I love the monitor-type tilt of it as well. I would think that would be a desireable feature in a small room. First place of course goes to my 142 and 145, which as you have heard, are really only shorter but the same width and depth of the larger Leslies. But to my ears, if you can't go with the tube type Leslies, the MS stuff is better than the solid state ProLine Leslies....

Gotta ask what you want to use the Leslie for. If space is truly at a premium, I have to say that the Leslie simulator in the Native Instruments B4 is very very good and you can use it not only as an organ sim, but as a regular effect, just like reverb or compression or whatever.

I use Cubase, so I just slap the B4 on a track insert and voila... instant Leslie. It's fun times experimenting with vocals, guitar, bass, drums, etc. through the "Leslie".

Archived