Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP - Anyone familiar with resetting Roland XV series gear?

DanS

This is heavy into the "Doh! Dept"

I just scored a nice XV-3080 the other night, and decided to install the Ultimate Keys card from my XV-5050 in it. Thing is, the older XV series synths have no way to read/recognize patch numbers above 128 in their original software, so you have to update it yourself via the CD's they include with the SRX cards when you buy them.

To make a long story short, I load up all 32 midi files into Cubase to send to the XV. They have to be sent one after the other, but I think I may have sent 2 at the same time. Anyway, I get a midi buffer overun message, and the XV-3080 locks up. I wait a few minutes, watching all those beautiful colored lights flash, then I decide to power down. Big mistake. Upon powering up, only 1 light, the display, blank.

And that's it. I check the documentation, it says if power is interupted during the transmission, the internal data may be corrupted, and the unit would need to be serviced

Someone please tell me there's a simple "button combination hold down sequence while powering up" that will put me back on track???

I really, really don't want to lose this unit for a couple of weeks to some far off service center.

It was far too easy to phoque this up. Boo to Roland.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had problems with other sequencer programs doing the downloads to my xv-5080s. Other programs would give me errors. Roland has a small standalone sequencer program that they offer free for just this purpose. Go through the motions again with the Roland sequencer, load the 32 files. (The roland program steps through them) Follow the instructions on the readme file that was downloaded with the 32 files for resetting and loading the update into the unit. I hope this helps.

In fact, maybe you are at the point where you need to:

When the update is finished, use the following procedure

to reset the XV-3080 and re-load the factory settings:

1) Power on the XV-3080, then press SYSTEM twice.

2) Press F6 [MENU] to select Menu 3.

3) Press F6 [FACTORY] twice.

4) If "Memory Write Protected" is displayed, Press

DEC, then press F6 twice.

Thanks again Clav, but it looks bad.

Still no activity at all with any of the other lights, buttons etc. All the lights flash during power up, then only the green display.

It sucks because I had a look at the smfplayer, and it would have been so much easier to load via this route. Like you mentioned, the player steps through the files & loads them one at a time.

Look like this sucker is going into the shop. So much for the good deal. :mad:

Try something else. Unplug your xv-3080 from power for a while. Say 20 minutes. Then plug it in and try the software download again.

This was the first part of the readme file for loading software. It is copied from the 5080...but should work the same way.

1) Connect the MIDI In of XV-3080 to the MIDI Out

of the sequencer with the MIDI cable.

2) Power on while holding down DEC and A.

3) Press INC to display "Waiting MIDI."

4) Load and play the MIDI files from the sequencer

in order.

5) When the update is complete, power off then on.

Well Clav, you are a genius.

I left the unit powered off for about 5 hours while I was out, then came back & tried your latest suggestion.

Success! I used the midi file player to load the files, and it worked like a charm. Took around 40 minutes. Now my 3080 is updated to read the extra patches on SRX cards.

If you're ever in Montreal, I owe you dinner.

Thanks so much for taking the time with this, it is much appreciated.

Archived