Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best keyboard/synth for afro-caribbean music

superpowter77

trying to cover Latin Jazz,merengue,salsa,etc.

Obviously they are not my yamaha s80 w/PLG150-PC,and PLG150-FP and PLG150-AP loaded on my motif rack nor my m-audio prokeys 88 w/roland xv-2020 w/SRX-06 and SRX-09 expansions.

which is it?

I heard korg and ketron can have this done better. Anybody have some experience with them?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me get this right, you cannot cover Latin Jazz, Lemon Merangue, er, Merengue, Salsa, etc. with the boards mentioned above? :confused:

How long have you been making pies? ;)

I don't think it is obviously not there. What type of sound are you looking for specifically?

Have you tried the Montuno piano sounds in those boards?

Are you playing at this music or do you have it down from a stylistic perspective?

I'm only asking these questions because I hear cats go to work in those styles on the same boards.

I know you don't want to sell them and grab a Korg M1 or Roland D-50.

Seriously, go back to your boards and dig. Good luck and welcome to the forum. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Actually I'm playing and performing decently gospel music using those styles. To be honest I'm always pushing myself really hard. Just started 13 months ago, but keep practicing 4-5 hours a day. I'm always looking to add some extra performances/instruments/intros/improvisation to my songs.

I'm good reading sheet music, it has been so hard to find the appropiate material to complementing my learning.

I think will need to emphasize on practicing more hours.I just want to jump to the real performing ,unfortunately it's going to take more, and more time to accomplish that.

I think you need to cop CDs containing music in those styles and listen to what is happening.

Only a certain amount of information can be conveyed in sheet music.

The sounds for it are in your boards. Get the nuances of the styles beneath your fingers starting with your ears.

You will be fine. Wow, you are lucky. There was a time in my life when I could practice 4-5 hours per day too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hi Super, welcome to the forum. I play Latin Jazz and I find the most important sounds for me are simply acoustic piano and rhodes. These styles are mainly percussive and rhythmic, so I assume you are playing montuno patterns?

I play other sounds too -- string and voice-like pads, some organ, some marimba-type layered thing -- but that is just ear candy. My main role (when not soloing or taking a lead melodic role) is to play good solid comping, whether it's a montuno or blocked chords in a rhythmically appropriate way. I don't know how much of that applies to you, but these are my thoughts ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

The frustrating part to me is I'm suppose to be taking a lead melodic role on ALL the songs we play on my band, the truth is I still can't make it at all. Have to alternate songs with my girlfriend (one of the most talented guitar players I've seen, she started 10 months ago) Keep in mind she practices 7-8 hours a day, actually she doesn't work anymore.

I don't know maybe it's easier to play every possible note with a acoustic/electic guitar instead a piano :confused: . To be honest, sometimes she embarrass me with her performing :eek: . You're probaby going to get this hard to believe, once in a while when I get stuck in one part(trying to make mayor changes to a gospel song, and there's no sheet music,no nothing), she just come to my keyboard and get the notes for me(right away! :mad: ) and keep in mind she has never played the piano, maybe music lives inside her. Shame on me!

Archived