Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quality keyboard around $1000

arneyz

I've spent the last week or so searching the internet for a keyboard. Not just any board though. I don't want to buy a huge $3000 workstation, (I don't have the money or the need) I just want something high quality with 88 weighted keys, good piano, synths and organs that is around $1000 US (preferably less). In various searches on this forum I've seen comments that say this sort of thing doesn't exist yet. I've seen alot of reccomendations for the Yamaha S90ES, (which is out of my price range) but nothing that i have found attractive.I guess the only thing i haven't looked into is older boards but I'm pretty sure that piano sounds aren't as good on those. Is there anything at all that someone can reccomend checking out, or am i just going to have to settle for something inferior or save up for something excessive?

Many Thanks,

Zach

:thu:

Hooray for the Moon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just answered a similar question a few posts down (Yamaha YPG625). Arneyz, I suggest you fully describe your topic. Vague topic headings force people to click to understand what you want. You can edit the topic using the little edit icon.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Well I've actually tried the YPG625. I'm not really looking for something with onboard speakers. Another board i tried was the kurz SP88X and i liked thatbut that doesn't have any synth so unless you can put your own sounds into it (which im not sure if you can) thats out of the picture. Are you aware of any equivalents to that board? I would use this board for mainly gigs.

Oh, and i did read that thread just before I posted this one, and again those aren't really what im looking for. I feel like im being too pickey but that is why i was wondering if this is impossible.

Hooray for the Moon

For your exact price range, I would consider a Yamaha S08.

Are you willing to go used or slightly higher?

A good choice for you would be an S90 (about $1K used if you can find one), or how about a Yamaha MO8 (new)? The MO is a little over $1K though.

In the used area an S80 would also be a great choice.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

i don't mind going a little over 1k. It'll just take me a little longer to get the money for it. and i have no problem buying used. I'll check those boards out. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. :)
Hooray for the Moon

SP88x is not expandable.

The best bargains out there now are from Alesis. The QS-8.2 is $800ish (though I'd recommend saving some $$ and getting a used 8.1 or 8.0 - sturdier, better feel, more expandable), but the best sounds are on the now-discontinued expansion cards. They're regularly available used. The QS feels great, and has great controller features. Some of the sounds are very good, but you have to dig through a lot of them.

The Alesis Fusion 8HD is a bit out of your range - $1500ish - but it's an amazing board with great sounds, and potential for even better ones. Good piano sounds, lots of sound potential, and some very cool functionality.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived