Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I am going through "the change."

RABid

For the past two months Ive had no desire to buy gear. Magazine reviews go unread. Advertisements don't invoke urges. I now feel board visiting places like KvR where I used to spend hours looking at the pretty young VSTis. This is a bit scary. The other day I was telling my self that a motorcycle would pay for itself with the savings in gas. If someone sees me with a toupee run me over, please. :cry:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

A motorcycle WOULD pay for itself in gas. :idea:

A simple rig is less hassle than a complex one. :idea:

Those classic Hammond, wurli and clav sounds continue to please when the latest synth loses its luster. :idea:

If you are thinking that I have gone through my change, no, that's not true. Not at all. Nope, not me. Never.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Originally posted by RABid:

If someone sees me with a toupee run me over, please. :cry:

Robert

Please, define "toupee":

http://www.thecanteen.com/toupee.jpg

Example 1

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020115/1011114696__monday_l.jpg

Example 2

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

http://www.escapade.co.uk/cgi-bin/ProductImages/Category_64/21834c.jpg

Example 4

http://edition.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/News/9908/25/showbuzz/bill.shatner.jpg

Example 5

http://www.stanford.edu/~siegelr/borneo/orang1.jpg

Example 7 (a bit radical, maybe...)

http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/merchantfiles/5084954/mullet%20wig.jpg

Example 8

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/dress-up/wigs/ladies/franky-wig-big.jpg

Example 10: for people seeking a "real change" in their lives.

http://www.ticketsconcertssports.com/kozmeaux-wig.jpg

Example 11: Why deny our best friend the pleasure of changing as well?

Robert - you are not alone.

I stepped away from formally belonging to a band a while back. I'm talking about playing with a band that is booked every weekend, rehearses every week, and uses an agency to secure bookings.

Instead, I'm concentrating on making sure I attend my daughter's concerts and keep her focused. Just this week she told me that she did well in the audition for her High School Symphonic Band and is now the principal violist for the 2006-2007 school year. :thu::) Sorry to boast, but I couldn't help it. She had to work hard against some steep competition and I'm really proud of her. She also participates in a chamber music ensemble at a local university, and attends private lessons every week. So I figured it was a good idea to be there for her.

I'm currently playing with some guys I grew up with who play private parties for friends. Sometimes they play alone - 3 acoustic guitarists - and other times I'll play piano/bass split keyboard. That pays, but it's mainly just for fun.

And I'm in the corporate band at work. The Battle of the Corporate Bands is coming up at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the first weekend in October. I'm pretty excited about competing in that.

I recommend that you step back and figure out what you enjoy and what you've got time for, Robert.

For me it's easy to buy new gear. And it's easy to sit home and post on the forum. But it takes quite a bit more effort to go out and find guys who you want to jam with.

LearJeff and BluesKeys participate in a local blues jam every other week. Jeff is the guy who brings his equipment. It's a lot of fun and great for networking.

I was considering auditioning for a gig with the theater here in town. But, after considering it, I thought that it would take more time than I'm currently willing to commit.

You might want to consider the purchase of a new piece of equipment just to see if that inspires you to play more. Even a new book of music, attending a concert or a new music DVD could help inspire you.

At the least, consider organizing a neighborhood jam in a location where kids can hear you. The idea is to try to motivate them and get them excited about playing music. This is the main reason I enjoy playing summer parties at our neighborhood swim club. I think the kids really get a kick out of the bands that play. We've got guys in the neighborhood who play rock, jazz, bluegrass, and blues. We all do it just for fun, knowing that the kids love it.

I hope these ideas make sense for you.

There's no way I'm going to stop playing music.

At 5'7", I never was never too good at basketball. :rolleyes:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I went through a similar thing and bought a motorcycle last March. Although you must bear in mind the constant dangers of riding, it also has been a wonderful outlet and escape. I love my music, love playing in the band, but getting out on a nice back country rode on the bike gives you some much needed peace. I recommend it! :thu:

Oh, as for gas, I bought a cruiserm which gets 50 MPG. That's double what my keyboard carrying Subaru gets.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Yeah, but can you make out in the back seat? :freak::D

Please, define "make out".

Example 1... nevermind :freak:

RABid, an interesting thread you have opened here mayne.

I am going through a similar epiphany. I love music no doubt. As long as my health allows me to play, I will do so straight through the retirement home.

However, my music focus has shifted over the years from gigging to music production to now just playing for personal enjoyment.

I don't fire up the studio and/or produce music unless I'm working on something specifically.

When I got excited playing the Yamaha CP300 a few weeks ago, the first thought that popped into my head was--solo piano. :eek::D

I recently picked up an Akai S5000 to jump start my creativity but it is mainly to scale back i.e. archive sounds from other stuff.

Otherwise, I do not see myself ramping up into the latest keyboard technology.

My interests these days lie moreso in the other aspects of music i.e. live sound, concert promotions, teaching, etc.

If/when a gig becomes lucrative i.e. finding cats who really want to do it, I will hit the circuit again.

The upside is, I do enjoy hanging out here at the KC forum. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I say join me with the girlie car. I have a Miata that has a few mods and gets the same fresh air as a motorcycle but is a bit safer. I also get the same air as any luxury or high performance sports car with out the high insurance. I will also challenge anyone with a high performance car to a run on the road of my choice. Power won't get you any where on a twisty except turned around. It's all about balance and handling and you can as Gas if I can handle it. Like a gocart he'll say.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived