Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

playing the bridal waltz on solo piano!!!

sudeep

hey all...one of my best friends has just asked me to perform at his wedding. It will be the bridal waltz, where him and his wife will take the first dance.

aside from the fact that im pretty nervous seeing any f*** up would be REALLY noticeable...hes asked if we should do it solo piano with vocals OR with the band (hes hired a band for the night). The couple prefer it without the band...but im just wondering...if that will work. Ive never been to a wedding where they did the bridal waltz on just piano. Wouldnt they need beat/drums to dance to?

the song is penny lover by lionel richie.

do you think a bridal waltz should be done with a band...or is ok to do it with just piano/vocals.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All they need is a 3/4 OR slow 12/8 song and it could be a banjo or any instrument. If it sounds good is subjective and depends on ones taste, the quality of the piano, and the ability of the player.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

Well, if the bride's wish is a solo piano piece, then that's what you'll have to do. All other people's ideas and wishes become futile details. :)

Practice it as often as possible before the big day to be confident and if it's a real acoustic piano, try to practice on the instrument you'll use to get familiar with its particular touch and, more importantly, to make sure it's well tuned and in good working condition. :)

Originally posted by Cydonia:

try to practice on the instrument you'll use to get familiar with its particular touch and, more importantly, to make sure it's well tuned and in good working condition. :)

This is good advice. I just learned my lesson. See my thread about hotel pianos.

One thing I've learned about playing weddings is - nobody really even listens to the piano player. :D

Amateur Hack

Don't forget to relax and have fun! Don't *worry* about screwing up, *enjoy* the fact that they've asked *you* to be such an important part of this special day. Smile and enjoy the moment!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On one hand, there's nothing worse than practicing a beautiful Chopin Mazurka or Waltz for weeks and then figuring out live it's gonna end up sounding like Honky Tonk Train Blues because the piano is totally out of tune. :D

But on the other hand, as usual, just as for any other concert, half the people won't even know if you did a few false notes. And the other half will be too busy watching the wed couple dancing. :cool:

Archived