Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PitchBend question

bg

The Arturia CS-80V has what I consider a flaw in that when doing a trill (as opposed to a bend) with a ribbon controller, there is pitch smoothing between notes. I don't know if that's the right term, but it's like glide between the trill notes.

I tried ribbon trills on other synths and found that most of them do pitch smoothing as well. As a test, I made a sequence consisting of one sustained note with manually inserted single pitch bend events alternating from maximum to minimum. I played the sequence on various synths and recorded the results. Warning: These audio examples are exceedingly boring to listen to.

Obvious PitchBend smoothing:

Arturia CS-80V

NI FM7

Arturia MinimoogV

K2000 - flute

K2000 - saw

Oasys-PCI subtractive synth algo

Little or no PitchBend smoothing:

DX7-II

Oasys-PCI reed piano algo

P-100 - Yamaha digital piano organ preset

Proteus 2000

All the synths I tested which don't exhibit pitchbend smoothing also have no problem doing perfectly smooth traditional pitchwheel bends, so I don't understand the reason for implementing it. Anyone know why some hardware (and all softsynths I tested) impose PitchBend smoothing?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very curious. It does sound like some slow pitch interpolation (i.e. portamento). Is portamento switched off on all these synths? Typically portamento shouldn't affect pitch bend events. I'm just asking.

I would expect more portamento like behavior in single triggering in romplers, simply because the sample is being re-pitched, and there maybe some processing lag. I saw no correlation between synthesis type and portamento in your list however.

Sorry not to be of help. I am curious about the answer.

Jerry

"ribbon trill"

Instead of sliding up and down on the ribbon with one finger, plant one finger on the ribbon as an anchor and then hammer another spot on the ribbon with a different finger.

For the audio examples, I manually inserted PB events in a sequence instead of actually playing the ribbon so that sloppy hammering wasn't a factor.

The Pitchbend events went like this:

-8000, +8000, -8000, +8000,... etc.

(I'm in DP.)

Originally posted by Tusker:

That's very curious. It does sound like some slow pitch interpolation (i.e. portamento). Is portamento switched off on all these synths?

Yes.

Typically portamento shouldn't affect pitch bend events. I'm just asking.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I would expect more portamento like behavior in single triggering in romplers, simply because the sample is being re-pitched, and there maybe some processing lag. I saw no correlation between synthesis type and portamento in your list however.

Sorry not to be of help. I am curious about the answer.

Jerry

Appreciate the responses...

Archived